Deleted

Overclocking Query

So I'm in the market for a new computer. From the UK so I've been searching around on Overclockers.co.uk. A lot of the builds come Pre-Overclocked.

Question is, is it worthwhile going for an overclocked build compared to a non-overclocked build, in terms of price/performance? I understand the benefits, but will having an overclocked PC reduce the life expectancy of the build or have any major negative effects?

I'll be doing a lot of Rendering/Movie Editing/Duel Monitor multitasking/Streaming/High-end gaming. Bit of everything really.

Sorry for the stupid question. I'm into computing but never delved into Overclocking!

Thanks for any help you can give. Appreciate it!
    Last edited by mmoc6f059d64e7; 2013-01-17 at 08:36 PM.

Deleted
    assuming good cooling and no absurdly high voltages you'll only notice the good parts of oc'ing.
    reduced lifespan is a moot point because the cpu will likely still last a decade. (most cpu's are replaced before the 5year mark anyway due to performance gap old tech/new tech)

10+ Year Old Account
    Overclocking certainly has performance benefits, however I'm not sure if the price is worth it to have it 'pre-overclocked'. I guess that reduces the 'oops I did it too much' factor. Current CPUs are more or less designed to be overclocked, and the general consensus is with proper cooling, you can overclock to 4.5ghz safely and easily.

While technically overclocking will always reduce lifespan of a CPU, this statement should be taken with a grain of salt. I should say... Overclocking doesn't increase the lifespan. As long as you don't run things too hot, or do too high voltage, you'd probably be reducing the CPU's life so little, that you'd sooner replace it. It's like saying you'd reduce from 12 to 10 years, when you'll replace it in 3-4 anyway. So the answer is, yes it does, but it doesn't really affect you.

There are stories, of course. Sometimes stuff just goes sour, or they have a bad chip. Crap happens, and understand that crap DOES happen sometimes. Understand the difference between 'normal failure' and 'anecdotal failure'

Deleted
    Thanks for the replies. Most of the ones on OCuk are overclocked by about 1.00ghz (3.6 to 4.6).

So take this one (Which I'm getting pretty tempted by...) http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...-246-OE&tool=3

Will the PSU and Cooler that it comes stocked with be enough to support the overclocked CPU or would I need to invest in some extra Cooling?

Thanks again!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Davekthxbai View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Most of the ones on OCuk are overclocked by about 1.00ghz (3.6 to 4.6).

So take this one (Which I'm getting pretty tempted by...) http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...-246-OE&tool=3

Will the PSU and Cooler that it comes stocked with be enough to support the overclocked CPU or would I need to invest in some extra Cooling?

Thanks again!
    that Alpenfohn K2 Mount Doom cooler that comes with that pre-built is a top range air cooler no worries on that aspect. (with such clocks expect temps to be around 60 degrees maybe bit higher but nothing to worry about)

Deleted
    That's all my queries cleared up then! Thanks for the quick responses. Gonna do a bit more research on the builds and then make a purchase.

Can't wait to finally upgrade from 4GB 800mhz DDR2 Ram to 16GB 1600mhz DDR3 Ram, and switch over to a SSD. Been 4 years since a component upgrade!