Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

Jay Wilson steps down from Diablo 3

Hey everyone,

I wanted all of you to be some of the first to know that I've made an important decision about my future, and how that decision will affect the future of Diablo.

I recently celebrated my seven-year anniversary working on Diablo III, and while it's been one of the most challenging and rewarding periods of my life, I've reached a point creatively where I'm looking forward to working on something new. The powers that be at Blizzard have been gracious enough to give me that opportunity. Over the course of the next several weeks, I will be moving off of the Diablo III project and transitioning elsewhere within Blizzard. This decision was not an easy one for me, and not one I made quickly, but ultimately it's what I feel is right.

The first thing I want to assure you all is that this will not negatively impact our ongoing support of Diablo III. The game was not made by one person, far from it, and the team that poured their passion and considerable talent into it isn't going anywhere. We have lots of things planned for the future, and those plans will carry forward as normal. I also won't be abandoning the team, and will remain available to them during the transition period while we determine who will take over duties as game director.

To that point, you shouldn't be surprised if you see a job posting for a game director on Diablo III, as we want to make sure we explore every opportunity to find the best possible leadership for the project. We're looking forward to finding this person and hearing what kind of fresh ideas they can bring to the table.

I'm proud of Diablo III, and despite our differences at times I will miss the community that has formed around it. I feel I have made many mistakes in managing that relationship, but my intent was always to provide a great gaming experience, and be as open and receptive as possible, while still sticking true to the vision the Diablo team has for the game.

I know some of you feel we fell short of our promise to release the game "when it's ready." While we're not perfect, we try to make the best decisions we can with the information and knowledge we have at the time. That doesn't mean we always make the right decisions, but if we made a mistake then I feel we've made an exceptional effort to correct it.

This is what you can always count on from Blizzard: that we will stand by our games and make every effort to continually improve them over time. We heard the feedback and suggestions from the community. For example, we agreed that Diablo III's itemization at launch was not good enough, so the team made numerous changes, including changing drop rates, re-tuning legendaries, and adding scores of new items to the game. We also agreed that the end game needed more depth, so the team added new events, and new systems like Monster Power and Paragon levels.

Our commitment to making our games as good as they can be is what has always defined Blizzard as a game studio, and that commitment never ends for us at a ship date. With your help, we'll continue to play, debate, and improve Diablo III, as we've done with every Blizzard game.

To that end, patch 1.0.7 is underway, the PTR is live, and there are many other great things brewing for Diablo in 2013. I'm leaving Diablo III in good hands, and my departure will not jeopardize the progress of the game as we continue to do what we do: listen, play, and improve.

You are the most passionate, dedicated group of gamers a designer could hope to have. I wish you all the best, and want to thank you for making this an amazing experience for me. Keep your axes sharp, your spell books handy, and that crafty devil in check.

--Jay
    Source: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7592242994

---

Pretty interesting stuff.

I am not a fan of Wilson, but I do think people wrongly attributed D3's woes to Wilson alone. However, can't say I am unhappy about Wilson's leave.

thats a bummer, hopefully they will take it to the right direction from now on
    Last edited by Endus; Today at 10:40 PM. Reason: Editing to change questionable phrasing to adorable puppies

Quote Originally Posted by xBreak View Post
    This post was almost as bad as you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    The clueless commentary from the shortsighted peanut gallery is getting to me.
    My youtube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/Krystafal

15+ Year Old Account
    My faith in the Diablo franchise has just risen from the deep abyss.

There is hope.

Thank god. Maybe D3 has the chance now to become the game it should have been.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

15+ Year Old Account
    Hahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Fuck that loser.

Post constructively
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-01-18 at 03:17 AM.

Deleted
    Now they can finally hire someone who can actually get this game out of beta testing

There's still hope for the diablo franchise then!

This guy should have been fired a while ago.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Good Riddance maybe I can actually enjoy the game that I wanted to enjoy. Know what I'm ma go hit 100 today to celebrate this event BRB since you know I've been 99 for like 2 months?

Lols
    Last edited by Resentful; 2013-01-17 at 09:18 PM.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    As long as he is not put in charge of Project Titan. He needs to be kept away from Titan and WoW completely.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

Cue picture of Jay with a chav hat on "Fuck that loser".

Not that I should care, I haven't played Diablo3 in a while. I love the franchise despite my feelings towards the third installment, maybe changes will be made that will appeal to me more. /exicited.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    As long as he is not put in charge of Project Titan. He needs to be kept away from Titan and WoW completely.
    Also this.

can't say i'm gonna miss him either, never liked the guy. and the 'loser' accident didn't help.

i'm interested to see where he ends up though, cause unless he's gonna be a lead again seems he basically got demoted? good work at saving face, for sure ;p

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    ---

Pretty interesting stuff.

I am not a fan of Wilson, but I do think people wrongly attributed D3's woes to Wilson alone. However, can't say I am unhappy about Wilson's leave.
    Awesome post Fencers.

Personally I'm happy that Jay is leaving D3 maybe I can get back into it and enjoy it without someone nerfing the game so they can have fun.

I have not liked Jay since his post telling people what happen in D2 didn't and how to play D3 and the loser comment to the former blizzard north member.

I now hope that the Diablo franchise gets a lot better.

The state D3 is in right now should have been the state it was in at release if not way better then it is now. Also the fact pvp still has not been released and its almost a year into the game is depressing "No dueling dose not count that's a slap in the face for those wanting PVP"
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Not a minute to soon, hopefully they hire someone with a better vision that can move the game in a better direction, although not getting my hopes to high as a lot of bad decisions probably came from higher above Jay's head.

10+ Year Old Account
    bahahahahahaha

Deleted
    Too little, too late.

I think this is a positive move for the Franchise. I don't believe that the vision of the Diablo team ever truly met the expectations of their fans, and with Jay "in charge", he's the one to point the finger at. With the unveiling of dueling on the Diablo PTR, players are seeing how difficult it is to balance PVP in D3. If the team weren't so tight lipped and more open with what's being worked on and let the players experience some of their issues on a PTR, I feel that they wouldn't have had appeared in a slightly more favorable light than they appear now.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    Indeed. I hope his comment about "transitioning elsewhere within Blizzard" means the janitorial department.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    Not a minute to soon, hopefully they hire someone with a better vision that can move the game in a better direction, although not getting my hopes to high as a lot of bad decisions probably came from higher above Jay's head.
    Bold section was exactly what I was thinking when I read the article. Like exactly.

A lot of D3's problems are inherent to the basic design and focus of the game. Perhaps the expansion w/ a new game director at the helm will be the opportunity to change some of those fundamental problems. A kind of reset.