Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    They are definitely using frozen dough forms and defrosting them and then putting them in a dough proofer.

So the actually finished product is variable.

They call them footlongs not Foot long, if they are smart that's their out.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by steveyboy View Post
    when they cut one in half and they call it a 6" sub it kind of implies that it as a whole is a foot. So yes it is false advertising and is infact against the law.

Also they should make up for it I mean the British invented a way to deal with this kind of thing back in the 1300s when it come to bread.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baker%27s_dozen#Baking
    Maybe they mean inches as the wolf runs rather than as the crow flies?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    They should be more concerned about wtf is in that "meat"

Subway and McDonalds: proof that people will eat garbage if it is marketed correctly
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Wait they actually give you meat with their salt?

Subway is about as healthy as Taco Bell; except in the latter case, they actually have drive throughs. Not that I would eat Mexican food.
    Taco Bell is not mexican food do not disgrace Taco Bell like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs...ews-deals.html

Basically, some guy in Australia measure one and a footlong came up to only 11 inches. Then some other people started researching and found over half were coming up short.

Here's the thing though. There isn't some magical machine making these things exactly 12 inches. These are people rolling some flavoring into defrosted rolls of frozen bread. They're not all going to be EXACTLY 12 inches. It reminds me of things like other fast food places. That quarter pound burger you ordered isn't going to be a quarter pound. Because when you grill or fry it, it shrinks a ton. Same thing here pretty much. You have to allow a little discrepancy.
    I find the idea that this even qualifies as "international news" laughable. And the fact that at least one New York news paper considered this front-page news, with everything else going on both nationally and internationally, sad.

Deleted
    as with so many things in life, a promise of 12 inches rarely measures up in reality.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post

Subway and McDonalds: proof that people will eat garbage if it is marketed correctly
    Since the Super Size Me incident (among other things) I can assure you that their meat actually is meat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

15+ Year Old Account
    This reminds me I still have more or less 6 inch of subway left in the fridge. Thank you thread.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiricine View Post
    Two things

First its not really false advertising-- they never claimed that the subs were actually 12 inches, footlong can mean plenty of things.

Second--- I pay 5$ for a sub thats almost a "real" foot, and im happy with that price and the product. If subway advertised a sub the size of theirs as 30 inches but it was the same product, I'd still buy it.
    Odd there add campaign here is "douze pouces cinq dollars" translate directly to twelve inches five dollars... so they are straight up saying its twelve inches for 5$... not "about 12 inches for 5$" ... I mean in that case should I toss them 4.50$ and say "it's about 5$"?

An example of the add campaign...

you were saying?

The sad part is someone actually took the time to measure it.......

Or priced accordingly, in some cases.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    Subway stinks anyway, they always give you so little meat...
    Hell, I think that's the bigger issue here. I don't eat most veggies, and when I order from Subway, my sandwich actually closes. It feels like a ripoff.

Oh, and their "five dollar footlong" deal, is crap, just like Pizza Hut's "$10 any pizza" deal. Subway's deal only counts certain subs, only happens sometimes at some stores, and if you really want meant on there, it gets expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by steveyboy View Post
    It's false advertising then. They should be a bit bigger if anything to compensate for this.
    If that's false advertising, then all fast food chains should remove any wording of any weight on their burgers, ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Wait they actually give you meat with their salt?

Subway is about as healthy as Taco Bell; except in the latter case, they actually have drive throughs. Not that I would eat Mexican food.
    The one I worked at, in a small city, had a drive-thru. It was just pointless to use it, because you couldn't watch them make the sub, and it took forever because there was only one window.

No idea what kind of Subway you eat at, but their meat is actual meat.

Are people actually so fat the care about something like this.

Subway should just name them large and small so people shut their idiot mouths.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

Yawn, I won't touch Subway if there's a Jimmy John's or better yet, a real deli nearby.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsdaleHokie View Post
    Yawn, I won't touch Subway if there's a Jimmy John's or better yet, a real deli nearby.
    Seriously all Jimmy John's is is greasy bread slathered with mayonnaise, nothing else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh the horror, they're off by an inch

/sarcasm.
    Putin khuliyo

The problem isn't the bread. It's somewhere in the process of frozen to baked that gets messed up. I have perfected the process, but I can tell you right now, I can't for the life of me get other people in my stores to do it like I do. It's always either under-proofed, under-baked, or both. If the proofer is set wrong, the bread comes out wrong. There are really a lot of factors that go in to it. The main thing is paying attention and watching the time. Most people don't care enough to learn to do it correctly, which, I believe, is the bigger problem you guys face.
    A true Patriot fights for their country, not for their government.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottsdaleHokie View Post
    You know, aside from JJ's creepy fast delivery I just don't like their food.

Tastes vary.

This thread is really full of who gives a shit. That is all.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    Seriously all Jimmy John's is is greasy bread slathered with mayonnaise, nothing else.
    Really, I've never seen greasy bread there, I also don't eat mayonnaise.