LastLast

BOOTMGR is missing?

My mate just turned on his laptop and got this message - BOOTMGR is missing
    what are the causes of this ?
    can it be fixed ?
    what can i do to fix it?
    sorry for all the questions aha;P

---------- Post added 2013-01-17 at 11:35 PM ----------

ok.. so he has windows 7 pro installed on his pc but no disc, i tried inserting my windows 7 premium disc to get to the repair settings however its not showing on the drives, now i assume this it correct since it is a different version of windows, is their way i can download and put windows 7 professional on to a disc so it will show up on the drivers ?

Quote Originally Posted by mrstinky127 View Post
    My mate just turned on his laptop and got this message - BOOTMGR is missing
    what are the causes of this ?
    can it be fixed ?
    what can i do to fix it?
    sorry for all the questions aha;P
    Several things could potentially cause this issue. Some things you can try:

1. remove optical/usb drive contents
    2. Make sure your boot order is correct in the bios
    3. Try to run a windows repair boot and see if it will correct a corrupted file
    4. You can try to replace the Boot partition sector to see if it was corrupt
    5. format and re-install windows
    6. Test the HDD in another computer
    7. If all else fails you can completely wipe the drive using DBAN (just be aware that nuking a drive puts a fair amount of stress on it) and then installing windows again

Quote Originally Posted by orangeaccord311 View Post
    Several things could potentially cause this issue. Some things you can try:

1. remove optical/usb drive contents
    2. Make sure your boot order is correct in the bios
    3. Try to run a windows repair boot and see if it will correct a corrupted file
    4. You can try to replace the Boot partition sector to see if it was corrupt
    5. format and re-install windows
    6. Test the HDD in another computer
    7. If all else fails you can completely wipe the drive using DBAN (just be aware that nuking a drive puts a fair amount of stress on it) and then installing windows again
    1. ok, i have tried removing all optical/usb drives ext... that now made a difference
    2. the boot order is correct
    3. i cant seem to run windows repair, its a laptop and windows 7 professional came pre insalled, i have a win 7 premium dics of my own i tried that but it was showing up the driver, i assume this is because it is a different version ?
    4. how would i go about doing that ?

1. ok, i have tried removing all optical/usb drives ext... that now made a difference
    2. the boot order is correct
    3. i cant seem to run windows repair, its a laptop and windows 7 professional came pre insalled, i have a win 7 premium dics of my own i tried that but it was showing up the driver, i assume this is because it is a different version ?
    4. how would i go about doing that ?
    What do you mean with not showing up the driver?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Uhm download Windows 7 repair disk and just use this tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFJwiILbsdo

I'm not sure what you mean by
    showing up the driver
    but if you need to get to the recovery console you can make a repair disc. Here's a decent guide that will get you through the process: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...sc-create.html

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    What do you mean with not showing up the driver?
    He probably means, that the drive is not showing up in BIOS. Which means either the drive is broken or there's something wrong with the laptops motherboard.
    I had same kind of problem with my laptop last summer, fortunately for me my HDD was broken. This can be easily tested by installing other HDD to the laptop and checking BIOS, if it shows up in BIOS and the original doesn't it's most likely the HDD if the problem persists, it's probably the motherboard, in which case you're totally screwed.

sorry i seem to have gotten confused.
    When i insert the disc and boot from disc, the windows screen comes up saying "install windows" then at the bottom it says repair your pc or along those lines, now after clicking this it should say something along the lines of "start up repair" "cmd" ect but it goes straigh to system revover options where it asks me to "use recovery tools that can help fix problems starting windows....." or "restore your computer using a system image that you created" how do i get past this part as at the moment i am stuck. i have been on laod drivers, so when i try to load the windows one it says "the specified location does not contain information about your hardware"

Quote Originally Posted by Lihamestari View Post
    He probably means, that the drive is not showing up in BIOS. Which means either the drive is broken or there's something wrong with the laptops motherboard.
    I had same kind of problem with my laptop last summer, fortunately for me my HDD was broken. This can be easily tested by installing other HDD to the laptop and checking BIOS, if it shows up in BIOS and the original doesn't it's most likely the HDD if the problem persists, it's probably the motherboard, in which case you're totally screwed.
    Ah ok thank you. Looking back at his post this makes sense. Lihamestari is pretty much spot on though; if the drive is not showing up in the bios then it is very likely it is a failed hdd.

the driver is showing up in the bios still.

---------- Post added 2013-01-18 at 12:03 AM ----------

could i be getting this message "the specified location does not contain information about your hardware" because i have inserted a windows 7 premium disc when he has windows 7 pro installed ?

the driver is showing up in the bios still.

---------- Post added 2013-01-18 at 12:03 AM ----------

could i be getting this message "the specified location does not contain information about your hardware" because i have inserted a windows 7 premium disc when he has windows 7 pro installed ?
    For repair purposes this shouldn't make any difference.
    Try starting a new installation and see if you can see the disk in the installation. If it doesn't show up there the HDD or motherboard is broken.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

yes, the hard drives are all showing up now and i have managed to get onto the command prompt and startup repair options now, which do you suggest i should try first ?
    startup repair, system restore, command prompt (i red online somewhere earlier where you can get it back my typing some stuff in here)

Select startup repair and let it try to repair the damaged MBR boot file

ok, ill give that shot now and report back the situation after i have done it, thanks so guys!

---------- Post added 2013-01-18 at 12:21 AM ----------

Just out of interest aswell, does anyone know what can cause this issue ? the BOOTMGR is missing message

---------- Post added 2013-01-18 at 12:23 AM ----------

ok so i did startup repair, and i am still getting the erroe message - BOOTMGR is missing

10+ Year Old Account
    not my video, but it covers all the correct steps

ok so i did startup repair, and i am still getting the erroe message - BOOTMGR is missing
    Go to the command prompt in repair. Type in:

bootrec /fixboot

Let that execute to make a new boot partition and when it's done it should give you a successful completion message. Restart and see if it boots.

1. Boot from WINDOWS 7 DVD.

2. Select "Repair computer".

3. Select "Cancel" to exit the repair wizard.

4. You will now get a screen which displays 'command prompt', 'system restore', 'memory diagnostics', etc…

5. Select "command prompt".

6. Type your "DVD-DRIVE LETTER" in command prompt, press ENTER.

7. Now if your Windows 7 is installed in C drive, type "copy bootmgr c:\" without codes, press ENTER.

8. After successful copy type "exit" without codes, press ENTER.

9. Reboot computer.

10. Select "start windows normally".

second search in google

i just followed that video and the same issue is occureing - BOOTMGR is missing

---------- Post added 2013-01-18 at 12:33 AM ----------

---------- Post added 2013-01-18 at 12:33 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jordankrynen View Post
    1. Boot from WINDOWS 7 DVD.

2. Select "Repair computer".

3. Select "Cancel" to exit the repair wizard.

4. You will now get a screen which displays 'command prompt', 'system restore', 'memory diagnostics', etc…

5. Select "command prompt".

6. Type your "DVD-DRIVE LETTER" in command prompt, press ENTER.

7. Now if your Windows 7 is installed in C drive, type "copy bootmgr c:\" without codes, press ENTER.

8. After successful copy type "exit" without codes, press ENTER.

9. Reboot computer.

10. Select "start windows normally".

second search in google
    Ok, the laptop came with windows pre installed, how do i know what part of thee hdd windows is installed on ? usually it is the c drive right ? but their is also and c drive which im not sure is on that and it has an x drive so im not entirely sure

---------- Post added 2013-01-18 at 12:37 AM ----------

i typed in the command and it is saying "the system cannot find the file specified
    Last edited by mrstinky127; 2013-01-18 at 12:37 AM.

Laptop assuming its 1 hdd and 1 dvd drive
    so windows is C and the dvd drive is D and any windows 7 install disc will work just fine.
    so try "D:" then "copy bootmgr c:\"

Quote Originally Posted by Jordankrynen View Post
    Laptop assuming its 1 hdd and 1 dvd drive
    so windows is C and the dvd drive is D and any windows 7 install disc will work just fine.
    so try "D:" then "copy bootmgr c:\"
    yes i believe it is one hardrive but split on to "c" and "d", anyway i have tried that command with both C and D and it is saying "the system cannot find the file specified