[PvP] Instant mind spike vs SW:I

A few thoughts on mind spike vs SW:I

Keep in mind these numbers are estimates.
    • With T2, 50% pvp power and 65% res targets my mind flay ticks for 7.5k and mind spike hits for 23.5k with proc.
    • SW:I does 2x mind flay damage ticking for 15k
    • SW:I benifits from mastery. At 28% I should do on average 28% more or 19.2k averaged.
    • In 3 ticks SW:I should do around 57.6k damage which is enough time to get 2x mind spikes for 46.5k damage.
    • Both spells have equal chance to crit.

In practice here are some pros for each:

Mind Spike Pro:
    • Instant cast allows you to use while being trained. Cannot be interupted.
    • Front loaded damage hits at the start of your global, not the end for higher burst.
    • Larget RNG serries of procs can lead to kills.
    • Using the glyph you can get instant mind blast.

SW:I Pro:
    • Controled burst. Can be used any time you have an orb and dots up. Always up for 3 point dp.
    • Higher max burst than mind spike.
    • Ensures high starting match burst with only 1 orb instead of waiting for 3 orbs and procs.

Overall I'm looking forward to trying SW:I on live. Biggest problems are getting cced when 3 dots are up or kicked on channel, but at least you know you have high burst with your DP instead of hoping for procs. Thoughts and comments are welcome.

Still going to be FDCL in PvP, mainly because Shadow is extremely weak to melee, and FDCL shores that up a bit more. It's not often you'll be able to cast MF in PvP...like ever.

PVP wise that talent is good as it could be getting herpes.

Its foolish to give more emphasis on the numeber 1 source of our weakness against melee: crap flay!

Mind flaying in pvp is just begging for a lock out :P ill stick to the other talents.

Deleted
    it's a shame that you really have to take FDCL and DI for pvp unless you want to gimp your self.
    I thought the new talent systems was ment to ged rid of cookie cutter builds

Well right now I'm destroying people on the ptr with it, but it's only duels or 2v2. 3s with more skilled players might be diffrent. That being said 18-1 with spriest/rdruid yesterday, but ptr is ptr.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Highmoon7 View Post
    Well right now I'm destroying people on the ptr with it, but it's only duels or 2v2. 3s with more skilled players might be diffrent. That being said 18-1 with spriest/rdruid yesterday, but ptr is ptr.
    I can see how insanity works well in pve because you will have no worries getting up all your dots before going ham with mind flay.
    In rated arenas tho i dont see myself casting swpain, vtouch, dp, insanity and THEN getting a few ticks of from channeled mind flay without
    someone molesting me while standing still and casting/channeling all of that. Maybe im just thinking about it the wrong way!?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by saltyharbls View Post
    I can see how insanity works well in pve because you will have no worries getting up all your dots before going ham with mind flay.
    In rated arenas tho i dont see myself casting swpain, vtouch, dp, insanity and THEN getting a few ticks of from channeled mind flay without
    someone molesting me while standing still and casting/channeling all of that. Maybe im just thinking about it the wrong way!?
    You don't have to actually "cast" insanity as it becomes an passive ability when all three dots are on the target.
    So; vt > sw: pain > dp > flay double dmg. Thats how it works on the PTR right now, and it works quite well, especially vs casters, melee (mostly warriors) will give you a hard time casting flay. This is all in my opinion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexidy View Post
    You don't have to actually "cast" insanity as it becomes an passive ability when all three dots are on the target.
    So; vt > sw: pain > dp > flay double dmg. Thats how it works on the PTR right now, and it works quite well, especially vs casters, melee (mostly warriors) will give you a hard time casting flay. This is all in my opinion.
    Aha ok. I totally missed the part about Insanity not being a dot anymore. That makes it a whole lot better.

But will it be good enough to make up for the instant mind spikes and flash heals? Thats the big question...

It's only going to be good when you are not being focused. So it'll shine in bg's and 2's, it's also better for control to some extent. I wouldn't take it over mind spike in either pvp or pve. In pvp you won't be able to use it if you are being focused unlike mind spike, mind spike is also instant and generates charges last longer then insanity would prove. In pve it seems it would just complicate the rotation for almost no little more benefit then mind spike or pet.

Deleted
    I would like to hear high end shadow priests talk about this and what they think is better.
    The ones ive spoken with all say that FDCL will still be superior in arenas but for battlegrounds insanity will shine.

Time will tell i guess

Quote Originally Posted by saltyharbls View Post
    I would like to hear high end shadow priests talk about this and what they think is better.
    The ones ive spoken with all say that FDCL will still be superior in arenas but for battlegrounds insanity will shine.

Time will tell i guess
    I think insanity will give the highest free casting burst. You'll have to line up 3 point dp into instanity burst with cc on melee or use it right after kicks.