Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mercutiouk View Post
    Point is if the player is terrible you'll still beat them... or is it the fact that the gear advantage you get from being "pro" and pvp focused is removed so if they ARE skilled they'll be able to beat you as your advantage is removed?
    Point is there's been a loooong time of pvpers above a certain rating using that rating as a "I'm awesome, your shit" now if you have a high rating you've continued to work for it and are skilled not just no-life pvp'd at the start of the season and creamed perfect gear to keep you there.

It's not perfect but it's a hell of a lot better than the previous setup. If PVP is about skill rather than "learning to beat a computer" then surely having folks get an equal shot at gear if worked for is going to better the nature of PVP not diminish it?
    If the ladders stay competitive right till the end then those folks still have to win fights to get their conquest points against increasingly harder teams as their own MMR goes up from winning. They don't just turn up and win them without effort. There's a possibility to game the MMR still by going nuts till MMR is high and teams are hard then deliberately tanking ones rating but a simple "MMR is easy to gain and hard to loose" system will make sure that it's overly painful to do.

Not sure how I quoted myself here...cba to fix it.
    Last edited by mercutiouk; 2013-01-18 at 03:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you do reach 2200, 2300, 2400, 2500 whatever, there should be something rewarding in the game. Cosmetic items. Mounts maybe? Transmog sets? Whats the problem in that? Having only titles to look forward to is boring. They only come every half a year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Totemgarden View Post
    This is the worst update in the game. all the terrible players will be given gear for no reason. way to ruin arenas blizzard and anyone who says im wrong is stuck in the 1500 bracket
    If they are so terrible, how is them having the same gear as you going to effect you? I mean if you are so much more skilled and plain better than them and gear is equal, wouldn't you win?!

Typical bad who wants the gear advantage for an easy. T2 is a joke this season with the win trading in Rated BGs.

Quote Originally Posted by Imbashiethz View Post
    If you do reach 2200, 2300, 2400, 2500 whatever, there should be something rewarding in the game. Cosmetic items. Mounts maybe? Transmog sets? Whats the problem in that? Having only titles to look forward to is boring. They only come every half a year.
    There isn't much of a problem. Right now there's the Gladiator mount and title and then the other end of the season titles. For starters, I think they should remove Challenger, Rival, and Duelist from end of the season rewards, make them earned when you achieved a certain rating in arena and make them permanent. Then, I would reintroduce some nice cosmetic tabards that can be obtained at 2300 or 2400 rating. I also think they should re-add The Flawless Victor title into the game.

That should solve it. Or at least make it more competitive for higher rated players.

But honestly though, if you need so many rewards just to want to play arena, what does that say about arena itself? It's not very fun. That's what it's telling me.
    Last edited by JhanZ; 2013-01-18 at 03:38 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    There has to be something else in the game of PvP to aim for then just titles. This will be very boring. Hope they add transmog sets that require rating.

Quote Originally Posted by Imbashiethz View Post
    I don't have a problem with this in the slightest. It might be the final touch this needs.
    I'm all for having something that gives bragging rights to top players it just need the actual "tools to do the job" to be a bit more even/available.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JhanZ View Post
    There isn't much of a problem. Right now there's the Gladiator mount and title and then the other end of the season titles. For starters, I think they should remove Challenger, Rival, and Duelist from end of the season rewards, make them earned when you achieved a certain rating in arena and make them permanent. Then, I would reintroduce some nice cosmetic tabards that can be obtained at 2300 or 2400 rating.

That should solve it.
    If they did that, they would nail it. It would put competitive PvP back where it belongs. Be rewarded along the way, tiny bits at a time, towards the big reward at the end of the journey

Why can't they do this for PVE? Only 50% VP discount for the 5.0 gear? Will just rather use 476 Malevolent gear that was bought with Honor than spending JP to silly 458 blue gear.

AWESOME changes!!! Every last bit of them!!

There isn't much of a problem. Right now there's the Gladiator mount and title and then the other end of the season titles. For starters, I think they should remove Challenger, Rival, and Duelist from end of the season rewards, make them earned when you achieved a certain rating in arena and make them permanent. Then, I would reintroduce some nice cosmetic tabards that can be obtained at 2300 or 2400 rating.

That should solve it. Or at least make it more competitive for higher rated players.

But honestly though, if you need so many rewards just to want to play arena, what does that say about arena itself? It's not very fun. That's what it's telling me.
    Nah, a lot about this game is the prestige and "power" of ones character. To make PVP interesting it needs the gear to be a LITTLE more available (I still stand by my earlier post that people still have to win to get their points for the week). There DOES need to be something that makes those that are at the top of their respective ladder look special. The prestige side of it doesn't effect the game at all and gives something to work at beyond gearing the character up. Tabards are a bit.... meh. Titles, sure, nice but most folks are into the whole idea of cool looking armour sets that make their character look awesome. Keep a cosmetic tier for high ranked folks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mercutiouk View Post
    Nah, a lot about this game is the prestige and "power" of ones character. To make PVP interesting it needs the gear to be a LITTLE more available (I still stand by my earlier post that people still have to win to get their points for the week). There DOES need to be something that makes those that are at the top of their respective ladder look special. The prestige side of it doesn't effect the game at all and gives something to work at beyond gearing the character up. Tabards are a bit.... meh. Titles, sure, nice but most folks are into the whole idea of cool looking armour sets that make their character look awesome. Keep a cosmetic tier for high ranked folks.
    You will get titles, mount, and Elite gear. The incentive are there, this just means people wont sit at 2200 anymore and roflstomp ppl

Why on the cosmetic gear, though? If they give elite gear to everyone, you can still wear it. If you still have an issue with that, it's not about looking nice anymore. It's an ego issue. Which is something that I will never support. You need something other than your skill to constantly validate to yourself that you are better than most people. That is absurd and comical to me. Let rating and your own skills decide how good you are. Not how you look.

This is also going to encourage more carries and paid boosts which are toxic to the game. I can't support that either. Not only that but it breeds and fosters elitism, another terrible aspect that the PvP community tends to adopt.

If you really, so desperately want to make folks know you are good at the game, get the Gladiator or rank 1 title. Otherwise, most people should be content with smashing their opponent to prove that they are superior.

That's my stance. Love it, hate it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't help but think that this will increase the amount of botting in Random Battlegrounds.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    I can't help but think that this will increase the amount of botting in Random Battlegrounds.
    Im sorry, but WTF does bots have to do with anything ralated to this blog?

I have no idea why either. In PvE it makes no sense to casualize gear. In PvP the only reason you wouldn't want it casualized is to stroke your ego, which is absolutely irrelevant to good game design. PvP should be as accessible as it can be, and let skill factor settle the rest. That's really all there is to it.

I've been nearly 2700 and achieved Glad 2 times and I fully support giving every player the same gear I have ever had. And you know why? Because I can still trounce them with my skill any day, but their enjoyment in PvP will skyrocket, and that can only be a good thing.
    +1000 to you
    Then Jesus said, 'I can offer you eternal salvation" and the Hunters asked "Can we have Kings or Might instead?" n00b 13:37

15+ Year Old Account
    Wow...I've been complaining about this shit for years, so glad it's being addressed. Ever since they added the "get 2200 or gtfo" system it's infuriated me, I'm so glad they're doing away with that.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I was thinking of almost the same system for PvE and VP... never occurred to me that it makes even more sense for PvP.
    Last edited by ElGeFe; 2013-01-18 at 07:19 AM.

Funny how people are raging about Blizzard implementing more competition in PvP. Being able to level out the playing field will require more skill and less gear dependency from teams. You would think they would love it as this is a great step towards better competition and a better ladder. Gladiator title will tremendously increase in prestige.

To be honest competitive PvP, Arena or RBGs, should scale gear and have very rare transmog sets as rewards for winning (kind of like CMs in PvE). This will truly make "current competitive PvP" mostly skill dependent as you still have to take into consideration balancing issues. Normal BGs should be left for a casual PvP experience where you can feel overpowered if you so desire.

Great changes. The only reason I can see someone would be against it is because they bought rbg carries and now can't stomp people with they're elite gear and will be playing in the 1400 bracket where they belong.

I have no idea why either. In PvE it makes no sense to casualize gear. In PvP the only reason you wouldn't want it casualized is to stroke your ego, which is absolutely irrelevant to good game design. PvP should be as accessible as it can be, and let skill factor settle the rest. That's really all there is to it.

I've been nearly 2700 and achieved Glad 2 times and I fully support giving every player the same gear I have ever had. And you know why? Because I can still trounce them with my skill any day, but their enjoyment in PvP will skyrocket, and that can only be a good thing.
    +100 internets to this comment.

bolded important part. more people pvping is NEVER a bad thing.