Can't zoom camera in or out while holding down mouse button?

Nevermind. I decided I'm done with MMOs.
    Last edited by Psilocybian; 2013-01-31 at 02:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Psilocybian View Post
    I just started playing GW2, and so far this is driving me absolutely nuts. I played WoW for 6 years and got rather used to being able to zoom my camera in and out while holding down the right mouse button, which you need to be doing to turn your character. I'd estimate I have my right mouse button pressed at least 90% of the time I'm playing, so this is a big problem for me. This game has been out for months, and was in beta for even longer. Why is this issue still present in the game? I've been over every option in the game and it doesn't appear there is a way to change this. So my only question is why. I hate to sound negative but this is just insane.
    I play like that too but I do have a question out of curiosity. Why do you need to zoom? I don't think I have ever noticed that happened but really it must be just because in WoW I also play with it 90% of the time pressed but I rarely zoom in or out, it's just usually zoomed as far as it goes. And if I need to zoom is just because I'm sitting in Org/Gw2 appreciating the view/scenery/gear etc (which makes the need to do both non-existant).

Isn't zoom with the middle mouse button? Not sure I understand the complaint here. Only thing I would complain about is the lack of a first person view but that's so very minor.

Nevermind. I decided I'm done with MMOs.
    Last edited by Psilocybian; 2013-01-31 at 02:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm in agreement with this one. I zoom in/out all the time in MMOs to bring out more details (if I'm looking for a quest item, for example). As an attempt to better explain why it's an annoyance, let's say you are doing an event that has you gather items in a tree. I might be zoomed all the way out to bring all the trees I can into view, so I might see if I can spot out the quest items. If I notice a tree on the far right of the screen has an anomaly, I'll hold down my right mouse button and start aiming my character to the tree to get a better view. In GW2 I have to aim at the tree, then zoom in, rather than being allowed to zoom in while I'm setting my sights on the tree.

...Yeah, I feel silly writing about that so seriously. It's really not a glaring issue that I'd dock the game points for but it can get really annoying.

no potions in the game

consumables are just buffs (from cooking for example) that will last anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    no potions in the game

consumables are just buffs (from cooking for example) that will last anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour

No potions, what?

What are all these "Potions of ______ Slaying" I am carrying around in my bags, lol.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Potion
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    No potions, what?

What are all these "Potions of ______ Slaying" I am carrying around in my bags, lol.

Those last for 10 minutes +

He meant Potions like in WoW, where you take it in combat for a massive (but short) burst of damage.

More on topic, when I was still playing GW2 (and I'll be honest, I've not touched it since MoP came out), the camera and camera options were terrible. I pointed it out and got shouted down. I did sort of get used to some of them, but there were plenty of other flaws and I honestly can't see myself ever loading it up again. Shame really, because I really wanted to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    No potions, what?

I'm sure he means potions with only an immediate effect, a la health potions

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Yeah, there are no potions in this game that you will have to pop "out of the blue".

Potions really just offer a advantage in a certain situation like "Potion of Bandit Slaying" which you will pop before you enter in that dungeon full of them and they last long enough not to worry again for sometime.

As for consumables is more like the 1hour-ish buffs from WoW. You get more condition damage for an amount of time and they have a broad variety of choices to pick, such as Magic Find, More gold drop, and all the stats choices and more.

---

As for the OP problem here, I think you could maybe go to official forums and try there, maybe get a response? Idk. Personally I think it's just one of those things you can get used to cause as I said I don't think there are many situations where that is a problem. Like Aiko said about event gathering from trees, I think the situation is not rather controlled to manage..it takes 1 second to let the button go and scroll down/up and then repress. (I just logged to try lol) And usually as the situation calls you adjust in between needs.

But of course I don't have the problem so I can't help much sorry. But if all fails I think it's just one of those things you learn to manage it over time.

I didn't even realize this til this thread lol, not a big deal for me either way.

I actually didn't realise GW2 had zooming until a few weeks ago. I pretty much hold my right button down all the time and since you can't zoom like that I just figured it wasn't in the game... and then I accidentally scrolled without pressing anything else and I was like WHOA! Yes, ~4 months after buying the game

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I agree that this is mildly annoying.

I returned to GW2 on Friday (suffering a bit of burn-out on Mists of Pandaria), and was trying some jumping puzzles in Caledon Forest. I was constantly trying to adjust my camera view for a better angle at various stages : avoiding leaves and branches, judging distances, scanning around for monsters that might knock me down. Took me ages to figure out why the zoom only worked some of the time! Grrrrrrr.

I think I'll get used to it, but still, I'd prefer it to behave the way that I'm accustomed to!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure whether I've always held down click while zooming or not - I'll assume I didn't because I've been playing GW1/WoW for years and this doesn't bother me at all in GW2. Just unclick then zoom, it shouldn't be a game breaker, it sucks but you'll train yourself to be used to it.

There are far more pressing issues in this game like the lack of end-game and builds not to mention the plethora of bugs still there, hell even some personal story ones are still in the game (wtf!?)

I tried this last night (remembering this thread) and I was able to zoom in/out while holding right mouse?