Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    In the volcanic ashlands of northwestern Georgia (Also known as Atlanta).

The Future of Class Quests

Most of us know by now that warlocks get their own special questline in MoP that involves returning to the black temple, following the exploits of some cult, and getting a cool reward as a result (green fire). Now, I always loved class quests in WoW. They were unique, immersive, and really made you FEEL like your class. The only issue I think many people had with them was that they were required to unlock vital abilities for your character. I feel as though having attractive, yet optional quest chains for classes like the warlock is a wonderful middle ground. So what do you guys think? Do you think this is just the first taste of a full on class quest revival? It would seem strange if the warlock is the only one who ever gets this opportunity. What would you guys like to see in class or even race quests for non-warlocks?

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotrip View Post
    Most of us know by now that warlocks get their own special questline in MoP that involves returning to the black temple, following the exploits of some cult, and getting a cool reward as a result (green fire). Now, I always loved class quests in WoW. They were unique, immersive, and really made you FEEL like your class. The only issue I think many people had with them was that they were required to unlock vital abilities for your character. I feel as though having attractive, yet optional quest chains for classes like the warlock is a wonderful middle ground. So what do you guys think? Do you think this is just the first taste of a full on class quest revival? It would seem strange if the warlock is the only one who ever gets this opportunity. What would you guys like to see in class or even race quests for non-warlocks?
    I think Warlocks are getting this because they are reworking Outland, and this quest chain is all a part of getting a new Outland.

Deleted
    I loved the old class quests, for the same reasons you did! Your character felt much more fleshed out as his or her respective class with them. I was suprised that Blizzard removed them in Cata, because I was hoping they'd be kept in but entirely optional - for people who DIDN'T enjoy them. I assumed they were removed because they were somewhat tedious, and players apparently didn't like them much. Yet this Black Temple questline is a completely new twist on the traditional class quests, so who knows? Perhaps we'll see more in the future.

I certainly hope so!

I love classquestlines. As a paladin I've been doted in Vanilla with a couple of nice things, such as an "epic mount". That questline was insane but well worth it. At the time I think if you were exalted with a certain faction it would cost about 900 gold (which was an insane amount) and the paladin mount quest could be done (if you were lucky) by spending 350 I think on mats for the quest. One thing that sucked was that very very very rare gem called: Pristine Black Diamond
    It would go on AH for about 700 gold, which would ultimately lead to many paladin just buying the 900 gold one until they nerfed this quest and ultimately removed it.

Thankfully I was lucky and lucky enough to have skilled enough guildmates/friends to help me with this.

I heard it was sorta the same for warlocks back then.

After that they more or less removed class quests, which sucked. But I do understand that while at the time in Vanilla people outraged by the "favour" bestowed onto Paladins and Warlocks vs the rest of the classes. If every class could just be dealt with the same, that would be excellent.

Perhaps they will bring that to the table

10+ Year Old Account
    Class Quests Were the funnest, ppl who hate the game keep making blizz take out the fun parts.

Class Quests don't go far enough though, only a few classes had some variety to them, warlocks and paladins being the best.

And They need a more personal storyline like Guild wars2 Swtor or Maplestory and Vindictus

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post
    Class Quests Were the funnest, ppl who hate the game keep making blizz take out the fun parts.

Class Quests don't go far enough though, only a few classes had some variety to them, warlocks and paladins being the best.
    This is too right, I had a warlock alt I got dreadsteed on and man that was a fun quest.

My Shaman on the other hand? He went through all that work and all he got was a stupid helm!

I'd like for class quests to return though, as a DK I'd love for them to finally get some story love after Wrath. Right now it feels like the Ebon Blade died with Arthas.

Blizzard largely stopped making them because "it's not efficient to put money into something only a fraction of the playerbase will ever get to see".

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I do find it sad they removed all the other class quests, then just go and add an epic questline for locks, with an awesome reward, I'm lucky that i played during early TBC, and i played druid, which IMO was the best questlines ever, having to use all your forms for the swift flight quests, and the quests for your other forms were ace, especially water form, and i did them on both my alliance, then made a Horde so i could experience them there too, so i find it sad they remove them, but then add more, which at the same time, does add a little hope
    Obviously the only reason they removed the others was because of Cataclysm and everything changed, but it's still a tad sad But i will probably break my lock out to do these, I would love to see a cool and long questline for each class, each giving either a mount, or some spell appearance changer, that would rock

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Briga View Post
    This is too right, I had a warlock alt I got dreadsteed on and man that was a fun quest.

My Shaman on the other hand? He went through all that work and all he got was a stupid helm!

I'd like for class quests to return though, as a DK I'd love for them to finally get some story love after Wrath. Right now it feels like the Ebon Blade died with Arthas.
    what helm? my shaman sure got her totems from the class quests back in the days.....
    In order to cast any totem spell, the Shaman must be carrying around a Earth Totem, Fire Totem, Water Totem, or Air Totem as appropriate for the totem spell they wish to cast. Shamans must complete a quest to receive each totem. These quests have several steps and usually require travel to a variety of places. After receiving a totem, the Shaman will be able to cast all totem spells for the corresponding element. The Shaman must keep the totem in a bag with them at all times in order to cast the totem spells for that totem type. The only exception to this is if the Shaman has a relic totem that has the "Counts as an Air, Earth, Fire, and Water Totem" comment (such as Totem of Lightning and Totem of Healing Rains) equipped or in their bag. (i know not anymore :P)
    Last edited by mmoc122c1567f0; 2013-01-18 at 11:06 AM.

Deleted
    I got my epic paladin mount on the vanilla way and i really enjoyed it, but u required to make a group of 5 man urself which i also miss, but i would really like to see more class quests like this, there is no need for a big reward just some small thing, i also would love to do the druid quest but it got removed :<. But yeah i would love to see class quests back, they tried to do it with monks i think but they didnt make it complete in my opinion, i would like to see them go further into it, but it did feel quiet monkly, if u get what i mean.

Every once in a while would be nice, especially for classes that generally lack fun utility stuff, e.g. warriors.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vamonos View Post
    what helm? my shaman sure got her totems from the class quests back in the days.....
    In order to cast any totem spell, the Shaman must be carrying around a Earth Totem, Fire Totem, Water Totem, or Air Totem as appropriate for the totem spell they wish to cast. Shamans must complete a quest to receive each totem. These quests have several steps and usually require travel to a variety of places. After receiving a totem, the Shaman will be able to cast all totem spells for the corresponding element. The Shaman must keep the totem in a bag with them at all times in order to cast the totem spells for that totem type. The only exception to this is if the Shaman has a relic totem that has the "Counts as an Air, Earth, Fire, and Water Totem" comment (such as Totem of Lightning and Totem of Healing Rains) equipped or in their bag. (i know not anymore :P)
    Ah man i remember those quests too, such fun all over the place following furbolgs and such, fun times and thinking how annoying it was to have to carry 4totems in my bags, then the delight at obtaining the an item that says it counts as all 4, woop woop

Deleted
    Haven't been around to experience class quests... but on a rewards-related note..

How cool would it be if every class got a class-specific mount (as a reward for a class-specific questline)? Something that really feels like it complements your class. You'll be able to spot a mage from miles away, incoming on his flying ball of arcane energy! ... solely because a ball of fire doesn't sound comfortable to sit on at all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsredd View Post
    Haven't been around to experience class quests... but on a rewards-related note..

How cool would it be if every class got a class-specific mount (as a reward for a class-specific questline)? Something that really feels like it complements your class. You'll be able to spot a mage from miles away, incoming on his flying ball of arcane energy! ... solely because a ball of fire doesn't sound comfortable to sit on at all.
    they have had these quests like the paladin mount
    And also the warlock mount and druid flight form, but there should be more of these in my opinion. But yeah i think arcane is the only one for mages. Since sitting on a ball of frost wouldnt be to comfortable either i think

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vamonos View Post
    The epic quest you got at 60. Warlocks had dreadsteed and other fun stuff, Hunters had to solo the demons, priests had benediction/anathema, shaman got a quest chain to summon a boss in Rattlegore's room in Scholo.

The reward? An epic Helm. It wasn't a quest many did back in the day.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Briga View Post
    The epic quest you got at 60. Warlocks had dreadsteed and other fun stuff, Hunters had to solo the demons, priests had benediction/anathema, shaman got a quest chain to summon a boss in Rattlegore's room in Scholo.

The reward? An epic Helm. It wasn't a quest many did back in the day.
    ah u see my shaman never got to hit 60 back in vanilla so i never did that one only ones i knew for shammys were these totem quests
    Last edited by mmoc122c1567f0; 2013-01-18 at 11:58 AM.

I went through the three class mount chains (Druid, Pally and Lock), and all were quite enjoyable. The Lock one though, I used to ding that toon to level 80.

Seeing the Burning Seed in Wowhead's PTR files gets me to thinking, if this isn't going to just be another drop, could it be yet another class chain, this one for Druids? If it is a drop, then I'm really going to enjoy the fights I DPS.

And I am definitely all for class-specific quests; if they wound up with cosmetic alterations, whether as a buff to alter your look, cosmetic gear for transmog, or whatever, that would definitely pique my interest. Just give me moar durid skins; let my bear form become different bear skins from the game (even Arcturis?), same for cats (tiger druids, leopard druids, Loque'nahak druids!), um... different colors of feathers for boomkin? and resto druids can... I dunno... become different herb nodes? Kinda running low on ideas once I get out of cat/bear territory. I could see many ways this could go in an effect territory, and that's not counting transmog stuff as well.

I liked them in the past having done all the totem quests, druid flight forms and lock mount quests. Now class quests seem to only be something they give to low played classes, rogues in DS and locks now or the new classes like monks. Class quests are now just a bribe to get ppl to play a class the masses don't care for.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Elementalkin View Post
    As people have been lambasting the dailies in MoP, I'm hesitant to even suggest this, but hear me out. I'd like to see class quests return in the form of dailies, available across a wide level range, starting low (preferably at level 10 like it was originally). These dailies would involve performing role specific functions in a phased solo-area, like protecting npcs from being killed as tank, or healing a squad of fighters as a healer, etc. Some would also be themed and stylized by class (Rogues tasked with infiltrating an encampment guarded by lethal enemies, while Hunters must carefully pick the enemies off one by one utilizing the various snares, and traps available to them).

In addition, I'd also like to see a reputation of some kind added to this that would allow you to purchase statless weapons and armor overtime for transmogrification purposes (ie; the new character creation gear, for instance). Special mounts, tabards, or other cosmetic items could also be available (the Fel Fire mod version of the Fel and Dreadsteed spring to mind here). The grind to achieve them needn't be terribly long, provided that the dailies are sufficiently challenging and done "right".

The end results would be this:
    • Players would (hopefully) learn more about how to play their class or role in a more structured way, and at their leisure, rather than on the fly.
    • The sense of identity a character has regarding their class would be brought forward as you are specifically tasked to do things in ways befitting your class and/or role.
    • No one can complain. Well, almost. Complaints would probably be even less legitimate than usual, as the gear would provide no benefit, and thus would be entirely optional to grind reputation for.

It's obviously a tall order though. It would be a lot of time and resources spent developing non-max level content, although the system could simply scale with your level (which would make sense).
    I'd love this very much. Especially if those dailies "teach" a thing or two about the class or how to play your class effectively.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the volcanic ashlands of northwestern Georgia (Also known as Atlanta).
    Quote Originally Posted by Elementalkin View Post
    As people have been lambasting the dailies in MoP, I'm hesitant to even suggest this, but hear me out. I'd like to see class quests return in the form of dailies, available across a wide level range, starting low (preferably at level 10 like it was originally). These dailies would involve performing role specific functions in a phased solo-area, like protecting npcs from being killed as tank, or healing a squad of fighters as a healer, etc. Some would also be themed and stylized by class (Rogues tasked with infiltrating an encampment guarded by lethal enemies, while Hunters must carefully pick the enemies off one by one utilizing the various snares, and traps available to them).

In addition, I'd also like to see a reputation of some kind added to this that would allow you to purchase statless weapons and armor overtime for transmogrification purposes (ie; the new character creation gear, for instance). Special mounts, tabards, or other cosmetic items could also be available (the Fel Fire mod version of the Fel and Dreadsteed spring to mind here). The grind to achieve them needn't be terribly long, provided that the dailies are sufficiently challenging and done "right".

The end results would be this:
    • Players would (hopefully) learn more about how to play their class or role in a more structured way, and at their leisure, rather than on the fly.
    • The sense of identity a character has regarding their class would be brought forward as you are specifically tasked to do things in ways befitting your class and/or role.
    • No one can complain. Well, almost. Complaints would probably be even less legitimate than usual, as the gear would provide no benefit, and thus would be entirely optional to grind reputation for.

It's obviously a tall order though. It would be a lot of time and resources spent developing non-max level content, although the system could simply scale with your level (which would make sense).
    These would be the ONLY DAILIES I'D ENJOY! As long as classes also got non-daily questlines I'd LOVE THIS!!!'