Deleted

Gtx 650 ti vs Radeon 6850 (need help, fast)

Maybe I should have posted this in the upgrade thread but it's not really an upgrade. My dads 6850 broke a while ago and they're offering him a 650 ti as a replacement. Should he take it? I thought 650 was a low end card, even though its newer but I'm still not completely sure, I think hes making a mistake by accepting it though.

10+ Year Old Account
    650ti is actually probably a tiny bit better.

according to revies the 650Ti is better

e.g : us.digitalversus.com/graphics-card/face-off/9832-14527-versus-table.html
    tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-650-ti-benchmark-gk106,3318-19.html

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I just looked up the second review. The 650ti beats the 6850 in every benchmark except one in synthetic image processing. But the AMD cards all are designed in a way that benefits there, so it's not really that card.

That said, the 6850 now that I look at it, is a strangely weak card. The 5850 is better than the 6850 O_o

Deleted
    :O ok, thanks, I guess they're not trying to sucker him into accepting a bad card then

15+ Year Old Account
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.
    650 ti is the better card mate

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    That said, the 6850 now that I look at it, is a strangely weak card. The 5850 is better than the 6850 O_o
    Thats because you should compare (well not really compare but you get my point) the 5850 with the 6950. AMD switcht their name giving with the 6xxx line of cards.
    so the 58xx --> 69xx.

Yeah I just looked up the second review. The 650ti beats the 6850 in every benchmark except one in synthetic image processing. But the AMD cards all are designed in a way that benefits there, so it's not really that card.

As the above guy said, thats because they changed their number sequence in the 6000 series.

5850-->6950-->7950
    5870-->6970-->7970
    5970-->6990-->7990

As you can see the change happened because of the dual-cpu cards.

Its also the reason many people believe 6770 which is a crap card, and 7770 which is a crap card as well (Yes a new generation card is good for old games, let me know how it will run Q3-4 2013 games) is linked to 5770 and suggest it, because 5770 was the "cheap gaming way" back in 2009 while in reality 7870 is what they should be suggesting.

Deleted
    This is more or less resolved now

He turned it down and got a 7850 instead lol (he said he wanted it to be 256bit, whatever that means and sli capable):P If it had broken 15 days later, the warranty would haven been over so I think he got really lucky.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did he just go and buy it, or get them to give him a 7850? 7850 isn't much better, honestly. Yes, it has 256bit path... I don't know how well that'll make a difference though, depending on what he plays. That's a mid-range card so usually that doesn't matter. And no, it doesn't do SLI, it does Crossfire. They are .. mostly the same? But I guess using the warranty doesn't matter anyway if he's got the money to blow on two cards.

Deleted
    Did he just go and buy it, or get them to give him a 7850? 7850 isn't much better, honestly. Yes, it has 256bit path... I don't know how well that'll make a difference though, depending on what he plays. That's a mid-range card so usually that doesn't matter. And no, it doesn't do SLI, it does Crossfire. They are .. mostly the same? But I guess using the warranty doesn't matter anyway if he's got the money to blow on two cards.
    Well, they didn't have 6850s in stock any longer so they offered him 650ti at first, when he turned it down and asked for money back, they gave him a 7850 which actually cost more than he paid for the 6850 2 years ago. I don't really know what he plays to be honest, other than just installing game demos, messing with them a few hours and then uninstalling them. Ive only seen him play Diablo 3.

And no, he has no intention of getting crossfire or sli or whatever its called for Radeon cards. He just compared which card has more fancy bling and large numbers and made the decision based on that, lol So yea, he got them to give it as a replacement for the 6850, he didn't spend any money on it.