Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Items from vanilla, still used/bis in tbc

Heya!

I'm trying to remember wich items were still used in tbc ( patterns/recipe's/gear ), but where gained from vanilla instances.

Shoot!

10+ Year Old Account
    Thunderfury was BIS tank weapon for a while until they nerfed it.

^ According to Wowpedia. I started playing wow late sunwell/TBC.

"Humility defeats pride, Master Yang has preached. Pride defeats man"

10+ Year Old Account
    Biznicks +30 hit scope schematic from Molten Core

Tier 3 was bis the first few weeks/months of tBC until t4 and other items got buffed. I think they changed their ilvls from 105 to 120 or something. Or maybe it was just the set bonuses.

Thunderfury was bis all the way until 2.3 until it was nerfed due simply to th. e fact that it allowed warriors to aoe tank a lot easier. Helped guilds progress without being forced to deck out a prot pally in holy pally gear and giving them a caster one handed sword.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Deleted
    I know the beast deck was still bis for healers for a while..

10+ Year Old Account
    There were some guilds doing BT (t6) in full t3 gear. And if you had t3/legendary items, they stayed bis for almost the whole of tbc. Especially thunderfury remained BiS until t6/sunwell. Also there were some set bonuses for certain classes with t3 that remained strong.
    Basically T3 / Thunderfury were king for almost whole TBC, t1/t2 got worse as content progressed. In my guild we run must t4 content in t2/t3 at first, just because with the bonusses it remained superior than running heroic dungeons, grinding rep etc. for almost no upgrade.
    What doesn't kill me gives me Vengeance.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...psody/advanced

10+ Year Old Account
    elementium sharpening stones - eventually blizz made them unable to put over a certain ilvl .. shame :P
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

Deleted
    Neltharion's tear was very good though not BiS.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Tier 3 was bis the first few weeks/months of tBC until t4 and other items got buffed. I think they changed their ilvls from 105 to 120 or something. Or maybe it was just the set bonuses.
    predominantly the hard-core players, who outperform equally geared players i believe traditionally run the first few bosses using the tier items from previous expansions.

The availability of gem sockets can mean the gear makes up for the lost stats, when compared to the quest items you collect. HC gear has sockets, and justice points, but farming takes time which is un-needed when racing. Set bonuses, can also make up for lost stats. T7 was cleared in full T6 if i remember.

Other than that i think its 'quirky' effects that allow an item to last for a long time; the DMC, ThunderFury. Or thinks where alternatives weren't really present (enchants)

Styleen's Impeding Scarab was arguably BIS for tanking through TBC. It was even had situational usefulness at 80.

Shaman Tier 2 3pc until it was patched in 2.1 because it was that overpowered. 30% increased healing on chain heal per jump made it do insane numbers.

I actually looked at the scarab the other day and thought to myself "Wasn't this one of those super op items in tbc?" to which I couldn't remember. (For clarification, the original stats on the bwl scarab are +5% Block, +24 shield block, +13 Def.)

A lot of the trinkets from BWL were rather op.

The druid shapeshifter trinket from bwl was used in tbc until that was hotfixed as well. It made it possible when combined with some other things for druids to gain mana on shape shift which played a role in arenas.

Thunderfury was used until its threat was hotfixed. It held aoe agro for tanks through BT.

DMC (the one that rezzed players) was used forever, especially in arenas because it did rez you if you weren't the last to die. I dont think it still works.

The reason T3 was used was for set bonuses and they outweighed stat gains until T4. (This has been the case a lot of times. I used 2pc T6 in ICC on my rogue because 5% haste on snd = sex and I wasn't quite up to date on my rogue after Naxx)

Someone mentioned sharpening stones which I had also forgotten about. But they were pretty ridiculous and I remember using them in TK on Voidreaver because poisons didnt affect him yet ha.
    Last edited by Vladimeir; 2013-01-18 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post

Thunderfury was bis all the way until 2.3 until it was nerfed due simply to th. e fact that it allowed warriors to aoe tank a lot easier. Helped guilds progress without being forced to deck out a prot pally in holy pally gear and giving them a caster one handed sword.
    ^this is so true. i remember so many tanks using this, then the nerf happened and tanks qq'd for some time, lol.

The hat enchant from Naxx was very slightly better than the one from Aldor and Scryer iirc.

EDIT: Was shoulder enchant.
    Last edited by Blackmist; 2013-01-18 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Madkitty View Post
    predominantly the hard-core players, who outperform equally geared players i believe traditionally run the first few bosses using the tier items from previous expansions.

The availability of gem sockets can mean the gear makes up for the lost stats, when compared to the quest items you collect. HC gear has sockets, and justice points, but farming takes time which is un-needed when racing. Set bonuses, can also make up for lost stats. T7 was cleared in full T6 if i remember.

Other than that i think its 'quirky' effects that allow an item to last for a long time; the DMC, ThunderFury. Or thinks where alternatives weren't really present (enchants)
    The thing about what you said is it doesn't apply well to the vanilla to BC transition since JC was added in BC and vanilla gear didn't have sockets, also JP didn't exist back then.
    Warlock Soloing & Progress | FC: 4141-3143-3405 | Metang, Mawile, and Klefki

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    The hat enchant from Naxx was very slightly better than the one from Aldor and Scryer iirc.
    It was the ZG enchant that was better than the BC enchant I think.

And looking at the whole of things, it is always the tanks that get the super op items (few exceptions.) Thunderfury. Scarab. Mirror of Broken Images. ZG/Naxx enchants. I know there is another BC or Wrath item that was ridiculous for tanks as well.
    Last edited by Vladimeir; 2013-01-18 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimeir View Post
    Shaman Tier 2 3pc until it was patched in 2.1 because it was that overpowered. 30% increased healing on chain heal per jump made it do insane numbers.

I actually looked at the scarab the other day and thought to myself "Wasn't this one of those super op items in tbc?" to which I couldn't remember.

A lot of the trinkets from BWL were rather op.

The druid shapeshifter trinket from bwl was used in tbc until that was hotfixed as well. It made it possible when combined with some other things for druids to gain mana on shape shift which played a role in arenas.

For clarification, the original stats on the bwl scarab are +5% Block, +24 shield block, +13 Def.
    To add to this, http://www.wowhead.com/item=19406 was really good for a long time.

I thought I remembered the 2.5% to hit stayed the same even at 70. Unlike most gear that used to be a % was then switched to a rating.

I think %hit was changed to hit rating upon 2.0 being released. Regardless, it is still a really good rogue trinket and off the top of my head, I can't think of anything until Warp-spring coil and DST that would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Choice View Post
    Bag of marbles, people were keen on that. Have one that I treasure just in case. Pretty sure it was fixed years ago though.
    That reminds me of the luffa from the Burning steppes quest. Guilds used it on moroes to trivialize it until it was fixed.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thunderfury. A lot of guilds were still putting together Thunderfury runs into late BC.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Morbidity View Post
    Heya!

I'm trying to remember wich items were still used in tbc ( patterns/recipe's/gear ), but where gained from vanilla instances.

Shoot!
    There were quite a few enchantments that lasted through, i can't exactly remember them right now though.