Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Challenge Mode Gear (Heroic 463 ilvl gear vs XXX ilvl RAID gear)

I need a clarification for this, is there a difference ?

to make it more clear.

Lets say i have the best 463 ilvl gear from heroics for my spec, and someone has a full epic lvl 500+ wadawidjaiwj gear from raids same class / spec / race / whatever.

The question is, When we both enter challenge mode..
    Are we equal ?

Deleted
    Not completely. It comes close, but it isn't perfect.

Deleted
    I believe theres an advantage in raid gear when it comes to gems.

Quote Originally Posted by Flawless101 View Post
    Not completely. It comes close, but it isn't perfect.
    I see, but which has the higher edge ? the 463 ilvl geared player or the raid geared player ?

do the boni from the tier gear count?

Quote Originally Posted by wazzak View Post
    I believe theres an advantage in raid gear when it comes to gems.
    hmmm yeah assuming the Sha weapons with the Sha gem has a higher edge

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There is also something regarding +Hit/exp capping from raid epics being given preferential treatment during the scale down compared to wearing a full set of 463+ in every slot. (i.e. they scale all of your stats down, but if you were exactly at hit/exp cap with your raid gear, you could be unfairly punished with the scaling that you wind up being quite under the cap for a 5-man boss)

So, yeah, there are some quirks, but they are more or less equal.

Quote Originally Posted by Korru View Post
    do the boni from the tier gear count?
    Set bonuses are disabled in challenge modes.

Trinkets also make a huge difference

not even close. not only does 463 gear not have gems, which don't scale, the blue gear is typically very poor in itemization.

trinkets are huge, and raid trinkets certainly have better procs

Quote Originally Posted by Torchbringer View Post
    Trinkets also make a huge difference
    The effects and stats are still scaled down meaning a low ilvl could be better if it has better stats...

Quote Originally Posted by Gamez View Post
    I need a clarification for this, is there a difference ?

to make it more clear.

Lets say i have the best 463 ilvl gear from heroics for my spec, and someone has a full epic lvl 500+ wadawidjaiwj gear from raids same class / spec / race / whatever.

The question is, When we both enter challenge mode..
    Are we equal ?
    I'm pretty sure it makes everyone who enters itemlevel the equivalent that you can get from that dungeons heroic mode.

Obviously tier benefits will make you better off as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Syonu View Post
    What 'tier benefits' are you referring to?

Deleted
    Set bonuses are disabled so in most cases using tier items will gimp you rather than help you.

Gems, hit and exp stats are not downscaled so using heroic items with hit/exp and some reforge will give you a HUGE advantage over someone in ilvl 463 gear. Trinkets also give a huge advantage, take for example the darkmoon trinkets, the healer one at ilvl 476 is almost equal to the ilvl 496 one from terrace so when scaled down that trinket is by far the best trinket you can use. The same can be applied to the other trinkets and especially the spell power one is crazy good for mages warlocks etc.

To be honest im not sure if the legendary gems work inside challenge modes or not (I have heard rumors they dont) but last I compared my alt to my main (same class and almost same gear) my main had substiantially more int inside challenge modes so I would asume they do work.
    Last edited by mmocaa84e3d5fa; 2013-01-18 at 08:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    How? Tier bonuses are disabled.

OT: The guy in 500+ is better off only because of gems and better itemized pieces, other than that you're equal.

So many answers, all different, I for one do not know, so i won't say anything, i just hope someone who actually tried it would give us an answer

I think any gem slots provide a small extra stat bonus (with the way gems work 320 stats from a gem does not remove 320 stats from the armors stat budget and later tiers have more gem slots then lower tiers.

Some trinkets from raids that have overpowered procs will be way better then 463 ones available the same goes for any other items if your class want Str+crit and all available 463 gear maybe half have str+crit but all raid gear will have every singel slot perfectly optimized

The legendary gem is disabled in challenge mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    Gems, hit and exp stats are not downscaled so using heroic items with hit/exp and some reforge will give you a HUGE advantage over someone in ilvl 463 gear.
    This is not true. When using heroic raid gear with a lot of hit/exp, your other stats get scaled down more, so you'd still be on par with someone in ilvl 463 gear. This was answered by a blue post long time ago and it was also discussed on this forum.

Really, the only advantage you gain is better itemization when it comes to secondary stats and more sockets - but you can sometimes find blue gear with same amounts of sockets as raiding gear.
    Shaman - Hunter - Monk - Druid - Warlock - DK - another Shaman - one more Shaman

Tier benefits are disabled. The best challenge mode gear, in fact, usually replaces tier gear with off-set pieces, because most tier gear gives up a gem socket for the tier bonus. Itemization also matters a great deal. For my hunter, I have 503 and 509 set of rings (elite normal mode, and heroic mode versions of the only two agi rings available as raid drops). However, the 509 ring is poorly itemized. For raiding, poor itemization is overshadowed by the large stat budget advantage and that 509 ring is one of my BIS. For challenge modes, a perfectly itemized 463 ring would be superior.

Note, however, that the itemization and number of gem slots doesn't change from LFR to normal to heroic version of the same item. So if you can do LFR, you have access to the same challenge mode gear as Method or Blood Legion.

Also worth noting - challenge modes were advertised as something that could remain challenging without allowing people to just outgear the content. They were never advertised as places where gearing properly doesn't matter at all. You just can't run them 40 ilevel above what they're built for. You can and should still work to optimize your gear within the constraints.
    Last edited by Kurgosh; 2013-01-18 at 09:00 PM.