10+ Year Old Account

I want to play Rift, but have a bandwidth cap.

So if I was to go buy both Storm Legion and classic and install them from CDs, what would I be looking at for the download size for updates?

You only need to buy Storm Legion as it includes classic Rift.

As for update size, I think we're around 5 gigs or so at the moment? Not positive on it, but it's not anything massive if you install from the SL disks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhaveros View Post
    So if I was to go buy both Storm Legion and classic and install them from CDs, what would I be looking at for the download size for updates?
    The entire game installed is 15GB. I don't know how much of that 15GB would have to be downloaded after installing the original discs. I didn't think SL was on disc and was only available via digital d/l but I could be wrong. I see you are in Canada same as me and we do in fact have D/L caps, mine is 250GB per month so that's not really much of an issue since I've never used that much. I'm curious as to what your cap is?

10+ Year Old Account
    My cap is 10 gig without cable. 14 with cable.
    'Tis a ripoff.

I have a similar situation to you Zhaveros, download caps are the bane of my existence. I get 8GB a month on my current connection, believe me it is terrible having to consciously ration and justify every funny youtube link someone sends you.

If you can get a physical copy of Storm Legion then the updates are probably only ~1-3 GB. I'm not sure if you can though, you definitely can't in most countries, I thought I saw some in Australia a few weeks back but they may just have been Digital Licenses in a physical box.

My suggestion is to find yourself an internet cafe which allows downloads, that's what I did. Otherwise take your laptop or external hard drive around to a friend who has good internet, I've done that as well. You could even try bumming free wifi to download it in Starbucks/Airports/McDonalds etc depending on where you live and what sort of restrictions they have. It's a bit of a pain but well worth it.

8 and 10 GB a month O_O

Man I feel for you, that's probably my daily usage most days between torrents, youtube and streaming radio and shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    8 and 10 GB a month O_O

Man I feel for you, that's probably my daily usage most days between torrents, youtube and streaming radio and shit.
    Most days I DL less than 10 GB. That said, most days I DL more than 2 GB. Video, audio streams, plus home office. Peak recently was 18 GB in 24 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Onorvele View Post
    Most days I DL less than 10 GB. That said, most days I DL more than 2 GB. Video, audio streams, plus home office. Peak recently was 18 GB in 24 hours.
    Think my peek days is when I decide to download some series with multiple seasons or a couple of movies in 3d/1080p, would guess around 100 GB in a day. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Zhaveros View Post
    My cap is 10 gig without cable. 14 with cable.
    'Tis a ripoff.
    At times, Canada seems like a place of unmitigated barbarism.

Caps on bandwidth? Outrageous.

In America our internet flies on the wings of eagles. Liberty, 4ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    In America our internet flies on the wings of eagles. Liberty, 4ever.
    Enjoy it while you can the writing is already on the wall for US caps. Google it (Greedy corporate cable companies are coming for you too)

Oh that poor fellow must be in some remote location or something I've got 250GB cap which I don't come near hitting any month. I've downloaded Tera, Defiance Alpha & Beta and PoE and w/e else I've done so far and still have 210GB left. To boot my bandwidth blows most US residential connections away (except them crazy download speeds they get in some countries in the EU)

Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    except them crazy download speeds they get in some countries in the EU
    They are building the infrastructure now that will allow me to get 1000/100 connection, will be a year or so though until then 250 is the max available.

Sadly really expensive in the places that have it currently, around 100 euro a month. =/

Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    Enjoy it while you can the writing is already on the wall for US caps. Google it (Greedy corporate cable companies are coming for you too)
    That's why we have a little thing called the SECOND AMENDMENT in the land of the free.

You can take my guns and unrestricted internet from my cold dead hands, King of England. *shotgun cocking sound*

OT: I recall the Rift d/l even with disc being huge before the xpac. Not sure what wizardry Trion have done to their installer since then. But ya know, Canada.

I got the new version of Satilite Internet and its 15 gigs a MONTH! But I don't use that much usually unless everything has to update at once. When I upgrade to Storm Legion it was a 10 gig patch.

10 GB cap!? I'm in Canada and I get 140. You guys need to find a new ISP.

Solid 8 GB a month in Australia (love coming home to Canada for good unlimited internets). I can get by with the updates. If I go over I just use my phone as a hitspot since that's an extra 2 or 3 gigs.

use proxy , you should be fine

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    That's why we have a little thing called the SECOND AMENDMENT in the land of the free.

You can take my guns and unrestricted internet from my cold dead hands, King of England. *shotgun cocking sound*

OT: I recall the Rift d/l even with disc being huge before the xpac. Not sure what wizardry Trion have done to their installer since then. But ya know, Canada.
    yeah, because that's working out well for you at the moment.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

I feel sorry for some of you guys lol.

50 Mbps down, 5 Mbps up. Unlimited bandwidth cap. Our ISP is also rolling out gbit internet this month to our area with no bandwidth cap for about 90 bucks a month.

Good incentive to move to Canada, eh?

You might want to check with your ISP alot of them do not have or enforce caps in the wee hours of the morning... I know my mother is on a cap, but her ISP allows unlimited bandwith from 2am to 5am..
    "You take 4,994,468 boredom damage from daily quests.... You have died."