Are Powerline Adapters woth it?

Title says it. My room is on one side of the house, wireless router is on the other, thus a lot of walls to go thru, pipes etc... Current computer has a spot on the mobo back panel for an antenna (board is about 4 years old), new build mobo will not, nor did I see any that had one.

So the question is, has tech on wireless-n gotten better that I shouldn't worry about it, or would a Powerline adaptor be a good idea, and how are these things when plugged through a surge protector on both ends?

One I'm currently considering:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833314091

10+ Year Old Account
    If all you need is internet access, you can get older slower units off ebay for around 20$. I use the 85mb ones from Netgear and they work just fine.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    If all you need is internet access, you can get older slower units off ebay for around 20$. I use the 85mb ones from Netgear and they work just fine.
    main use would be gaming and torrents, so the faster the better I'd think. Money isn't that big of an issue as I'll be filing for my tax refund next week.

Deleted
    why not get a solid 5Ghz dual band wireless router upgrade and combine it with a decent pci wireless card? (or would the distance be too big for such solution?)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anyaka21 View Post
    main use would be gaming and torrents, so the faster the better I'd think. Money isn't that big of an issue as I'll be filing for my tax refund next week.
    That you list torrents makes me think you are looking for internet access only, you dont need anything much faster then your internet service.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    why not get a solid 5Ghz dual band wireless router upgrade and combine it with a decent pci wireless card? (or would the distance be too big for such solution?)
    kind of why I'm asking. Wondering what a good solution is. I'm unsure of the router that's being used, it's a d-link of some sort, not sure of the model number. Doing this at a coffee shop. I'll try and update later tonight after I get home from work.

I definitely thought about a better wireless card, but was unsure of the performance difference and how much difference it might make.

Issue before was low bars, when I added the antenna, it helped immensely.

Note: older house: about 30ish feet from router and about 5 walls between including a couple of bathrooms (been told that water has extra effect in slowing down speed, is the reason I bring that up).

I would suggest you use a cable, the max distance you can go with an Ethernet cable is 300ft, that should be plenty to drag it around walls and stuff.

Old houses are usually not the best for powerplugs.
    Gaming and torrent traffic is not the best for wireless.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

what is a powerline adapter? sorry for asking...

Quote Originally Posted by Excellent View Post
    Steal any bicycles today SunBakedDuck?

I have a similar model to one of these and it works pretty well, I can't notice the difference to an ethernet cable.

Quote Originally Posted by SunbakedDuck View Post
    what is a powerline adapter? sorry for asking...
    they're adapters that allow you to patch your internet service into your electrical wiring.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_line_communication

how well it work varies greatly on your electrical wiring