Poll: After Reading Evidence: Do you think there will be an emerald dream expansion?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    So, both poll options are "Maybe there will be an Emerald Dream expansion"?
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly cannot think of a more boring subject for an expansion.
    @Ghostcrawler:Some advice: [My pet issue] is why there were sub losses is one of the weaker arguments players use. Players don't have that data.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thought Emerald Dream stuff has been wrapped up in the books already?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think there will be. Blizzard is in love with the Druid/Cenarion Circle/Hyjal kind of stuff. They ram it down our throats somehow in every expansion. Once Metzen can't squeeze one single ounce more out of Thrall without the entire community calling for his firing from being so sick of his obsession with the ex-warchief, he'll start work on writing an Emerald Dream expansion to satisfy his thirst for all things Druidish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Thought Emerald Dream stuff has been wrapped up in the books already?
    Nope. Frankly, most of what went on in the books seems to have been largely ignored as of Cataclysm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancaspe View Post
    I honestly cannot think of a more boring subject for an expansion.
    Neither can I. Here's praying it never happens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    The Emerald Dream is unaffected by events such as the destruction of the sunwell.
    It'd be one giant continent. I'm certain Blizzard could flesh it out, the problem is that the ED is already well-established in lore.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Nope. Frankly, most of what went on in the books seems to have been largely ignored as of Cataclysm.
    Hmm.. ok. Sure seeing it as a Zone would be cool. But I doubt it's interesting enough to focus an entire addon around it.

Blizzard scrapped the Emerald Dream design they were working on in Vanilla.

Malfurion Stormrage and Ysera are no longer trapped in the Emerald Nightmare.

So no, it would be boring and pointless. We aren't going.

Deleted
    well if there is an emerald dream expansion.

it would be quite a suprise, considering they pretty much wrapped up that story part in a book too explain why malfurion returned in cataclysm.

It is certainly a possibility. Stormrage showed us that the Nightmare was simply beaten back, and Catacylsm, especially with the Overgrowth and the Wailing Caverns, has shown us that the Nightmare is regaining strength. The Emerald Dream is certainly expansive enough to house an entire expansion, and the varied environments of Azeroth show that, even though the Dream wouldn't have traditional cities, the Emerald Dream could certainly have enough variety in its environments to keep things interesting.

The biggest problem with the Emerald Dream being its own expansion is, primarily, its villain. N'Zoth is the source of the Nightmare and having an Old God as the final boss of an expansion may be seen as unappealing. The Nightmare itself could certainly give way to some very interesting environments and monsters, but I feel that N'Zoth, alone, wouldn't be able to hold up an expansion.

While the idea of the Emerald Dream being its own expansion has merit, I personally feel that it would do better tied to a Great Sea/Azshara expansion. The focus could split between five zones in the Great Sea (Kul'Tiras, Kezan revisited, a sinking Zandalar, the sunken Broken Isles complete with the Tomb of Sargeras, and a risen Naz'jatar) with three or four zones in the Emerald Dream, perhaps with Plunder Isle being a PvP zone. A power struggle between Azshara and N'Zoth could be interesting to see and would allow CDev the opportunity to revisit the idea of an Old God competing with a powerful once-mortal demigod like the Lich King versus Yogg-Saron was supposed to be.

However, given that WoW doesn't show signs of slowing down anytime soon with Mists of Pandaria picking up steam where Cataclysm faltered, Blizzard may want to stretch out their expansion plans by giving the Dream its time in the sun.
    Professor of History at Dalaran University

Quote Originally Posted by AbalDarkwind View Post
    It is certainly a possibility. Stormrage showed us that the Nightmare was simply beaten back, and Catacylsm, especially with the Overgrowth and the Wailing Caverns, has shown us that the Nightmare is regaining strength. The Emerald Dream is certainly expansive enough to house an entire expansion, and the varied environments of Azeroth show that, even though the Dream wouldn't have traditional cities, the Emerald Dream could certainly have enough variety in its environments to keep things interesting.

The biggest problem with the Emerald Dream being its own expansion is, primarily, its villain. N'Zoth is the source of the Nightmare and having an Old God as the final boss of an expansion may be seen as unappealing. The Nightmare itself could certainly give way to some very interesting environments and monsters, but I feel that N'Zoth, alone, wouldn't be able to hold up an expansion.

While the idea of the Emerald Dream being its own expansion has merit, I personally feel that it would do better tied to a Great Sea/Azshara expansion. The focus could split between five zones in the Great Sea (Kul'Tiras, Kezan revisited, a sinking Zandalar, the sunken Broken Isles complete with the Tomb of Sargeras, and a risen Naz'jatar) with three or four zones in the Emerald Dream, perhaps with Plunder Isle being a PvP zone. A power struggle between Azshara and N'Zoth could be interesting to see and would allow CDev the opportunity to revisit the idea of an Old God competing with a powerful once-mortal demigod like the Lich King versus Yogg-Saron was supposed to be.

However, given that WoW doesn't show signs of slowing down anytime soon with Mists of Pandaria picking up steam where Cataclysm faltered, Blizzard may want to stretch out their expansion plans by giving the Dream its time in the sun.
    Stormrage really set up the Rift of Aln to be a location we're going to visit at some point.

It also set up the fact that N'zoth is a growing threat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

The Emerald Dream exists as a blue print of the original Azeroth. One that can no longer be used because it has been corrupted, and also because the reorigination device has been destroyed. Also, Algalon has been convinced that the mortal races can stand against the Old Gods. He has no reason to send the signal anymore, not that the signal could do anything now.

So, aside from the Rift of Aln, why would we bother doing anything within the Emerald Dream? Why not bug Algalon and have him delete it and save some trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Stormrage really set up the Rift of Aln to be a location we're going to visit at some point.
    I definitely agree. My guess is that it will be a raid to defeat the Nightmare, but not necessarily N'Zoth. That will be done when we travel to the bottom of the sea, perhaps the sunken city of Ny'oltha.

It also set up the fact that N'zoth is a growing threat.
    Not only did Stormrage accomplish this, but so did Cataclysm. The fact that N'Zoth is behind the Nightmare as well as being responsible for Deathwing's Cataclysm is highly alarming. However, many WoW players simply do not like the Old Gods because they are "unfathomable alien beings of evil". N'Zoth may have some pzazz to his personality like Yogg-Saron did, but he's still going to be difficult to identify with if he's the final boss of an expansion.
    Professor of History at Dalaran University

Quote Originally Posted by AbalDarkwind View Post
    I definitely agree. My guess is that it will be a raid to defeat the Nightmare, but not necessarily N'Zoth. That will be done when we travel to the bottom of the sea, perhaps the sunken city of Ny'oltha.

Not only did Stormrage accomplish this, but so did Cataclysm. The fact that N'Zoth is behind the Nightmare as well as being responsible for Deathwing's Cataclysm is highly alarming. However, many WoW players simply do not like the Old Gods because they are "unfathomable alien beings of evil". N'Zoth may have some pzazz to his personality like Yogg-Saron did, but he's still going to be difficult to identify with if he's the final boss of an expansion.
    Agreed, mate.

To be perfectly honest, I felt as though Cataclysm's main villain was N'zoth, and not Deathwing.

And, in the aftermath, even with Ragnaros destroyed, Deathwing obliterated, and the Hour of Twilight "averted", N'zoth did succeed in one thing:

The Aspects lost their near God like powers.

And to that extent, N'zoth has in a way won.

To further add to this, and I won't spoil what, 5.4's raid is hinting to be an Old God themed Raid.

Something's beneath Pandaria pulling the strings of the Sha.

10+ Year Old Account
    I doubt it would ever be the sole driving force behind an expansion, but I could definitely see it being like SP/Ulduar was in Wrath. A seperate story line on the surface that has direct tie ins to the main story line once you get into the meat of it. Of course that didn't really play out in Wrath since the relationship between LK and Yogg-saron wasn't really fleshed out a lot, but it would be a good chance for them to show they can do a story line like that.

Also to the poster above me, I'd be extremely shocked if 5.4 wasn't SoO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Very unlikely.

I believe (although, I don't have any sources) that Blizzard have said numerous times they don't believe there to be enough of a plot / storyline with the Emerald Dream to fulfill an entire Expansion. Maybe a major patch, or a plot within an Expansion, but an expansion dedicated to the Emerald Dream would actually put me off a lot.

From what little I have seen, and heard of regarding the Emerald Dream, I don't want to get involved or go there. I'd like some parts of the WoW Universe to remain off-limits to most inhabitants of Azeroth, just for the sake of mystery!
    a single npc in a previous game spawned MoP. if thats not a case for "not enough plot / storyline" to be a BS excuse, idk what is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickmagnus View Post

Also to the poster above me, I'd be extremely shocked if 5.4 wasn't SoO.
    As I said, I don't wanna spoil what's revealed in 5.2 Lore wise because I've spoiled it for myself, but the Voice Files for both Wrathion, at the end of the new Questline, and Ra'den, the Heroic Only boss, state there is something beneath Pandaria.

5.3 is going to be a Lore Patch, which will probably be more Horde vs Alliance relations.

5.4, in my opinion, would be Garrosh officially trying to contain the Sha within himself and succeeding to an extent, while we go beneath Pandaria to take care of the Darkness there.

5.5 will probably be another Lore patch, and Siege would be in 5.6.

If the timeline I've laid out is correct, we're back to a 4 Tier expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think if it gets revisited at all, it's likely to be a patch. Probably with a lot of dailies and a raid. For the most part the Emerald Dream is a closed case with a known story and ending (which makes it entirely different than Pandaria).

On top of that there's the practical consideration that as an expansion, it would pretty much entirely be a rehash of previous areas. We all know how that turned out in Cataclysm. Very well for 1-60, not so much for anything else.

So I don't see it as an expansion. A patch? Sure. A standalone game? Maybe.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I think if it gets revisited at all, it's likely to be a patch. Probably with a lot of dailies and a raid. For the most part the Emerald Dream is a closed case with a known story and ending (which makes it entirely different than Pandaria).

On top of that there's the practical consideration that as an expansion, it would pretty much entirely be a rehash of previous areas. We all know how that turned out in Cataclysm. Very well for 1-60, not so much for anything else.

So I don't see it as an expansion. A patch? Sure. A standalone game? Maybe.
    If N'zoth goes back to the Dream in full force, and breaks away from the Rift of Aln and decides to corrupt its entirety himself.

We don't know how strong he is, and imagine a Primordial Azeroth, with some parts peaceful like parts of Pandaria, and others twisted comparable to the Dread Wastes.