Poll: the interwebs will have its own language

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Is internet slang becoming its own language

do you think that in say, 100 years that internet slag could break off and become it's own language, or will it change the English language

10+ Year Old Account
    i certainly hope not.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

No. At most a dialect.

No, Grammar Nazis abound keep us safe.

I never short hand, not on the internet, and not even when typing texts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doubtful, although I'd argue for a very extreme dialectic form. British internet slang and American often conflicts/doesn't make sense, for example.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Internet slang makes me sick.

Does it really take that much more effort to type out "you" instead of "u"? Excessive over use of epic, lol, literally and like also pretty much ruined those words for me. Which sucks because they were great words until the average 12 year old learned about them.

Languages are always evolving. Internet slang could do a lot of things over time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    Languages are always evolving. Internet slang could do a lot of things over time.
    list one positive thing about it.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    Excessive over use of epic, lol, literally and like also pretty much ruined those words for me.
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    It helps me to identify lazy people.

I really wouldn't be surprised if abbreviations like lol, gtg, brb eventually made their way into regular English use. But I sincerely hope that the whole text "language" just dies out even though I know it probably never will.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maleficia View Post
    I really wouldn't be surprised if abbreviations like lol, gtg, brb eventually made their way into regular English use. But I sincerely hope that the whole text "language" just dies out even though I know it probably never will.
    and everytime someone says that i will say "what did you say? i didn't understand you"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    He said things, without indicating positive or negative. Could go either way.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

10+ Year Old Account
    lul ofc u nub trolololol swag yolo.

HOWEVER, on a serious note. No it will not, and I hope to dear god it will not. A dialect of fun for rememberance AT MOST.
    Howay the lads!

it is becoming a part of everyday language.
    but it's own separate language? no.

I can't stand people who actually say "lol" in a verbal conversation. If you find it funny, laugh. Little things like that annoy me about it. So it's out of purely selfish reasons that I hope that it doesn't stay prominent long.

Yeah it is. If you're a faggot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Won't be alive to care about it.

It is already its own language but it is restricted to the Internet, as it is this virtual country we are all citizens off... but no i do not think it will become a main language or even replace english, it will influence it heavily however.

Language evolves and changes according to how it is used, and who uses it, the more and more public figures and culture starts using internet slang the more common it will become.