Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Fox/Glee stealing songs....

So it appears that Glee has straight up stolen a song, didn't inform the guy and they actually own the copyright to the version they stole.

Original:

Glee:

I didn't really like Glee but this probably has put me over the edge.

Interesting considering that these people wanted touch copyright laws, what the hell is this rebellion?

THEY EVEN SAY HIS NAME IN THE SONG!! (as the original did)
    Last edited by Themius; 2013-01-20 at 04:38 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    How can he copyright a song that is not his?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ImZTwYwCug

This is a joke right?

Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    How can he copyright a song that is not his?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ImZTwYwCug
    You do realize that Glee has a copyright for this right? One they really shouldn't have lol. The lyrics may be the same; however, everything else, absolutely everything else is different and is protected.

They even left in the "Johnny C" part, which is... completely ridiculous.
    Last edited by Themius; 2013-01-20 at 04:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    You do realize that Glee has a copyright for this right? One they really shouldn't have lol. The lyrics may be the same; however, everything else, absolutely everything else is different and is protected.

I'm not saying what glee did is right. What I'm saying is it's not his song. The original song is by Sir Mix-a-lot

I'm not saying what glee did is right. What I'm saying is it's not his song. The original song is by Sir Mix-a-lot
    The melody is he, the harmonizing, is his. He may have covered the song, but you can not go around stealing others beat productions, which is what they did here. They may have even taken the backing track.

10+ Year Old Account
    The melody is he, the harmonizing, is his. He may have covered the song, but you can not go around stealing others beat productions, which is what they did here. They may have even taken the backing track.

IMO they both are wrong. He stole lyrics. They stole the song. Karma is a bitch.

So, he completely hijacked what most people would identify as the song, and is upset that Glee did the same to him? He can eat a bag of shit and so can Glee.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    So, he completely hijacked what most people would identify as the song, and is upset that Glee did the same to him? He can eat a bag of shit and so can Glee.
    Glee in a way is somewhat to me a memory. I had someone I really liked like Glee so the more I hear about Glee it's when I think of her. I know this has nothing to the topic but I felt like adding it.

I personally don't care for Glee. Sure some of the girls are cute but that's it.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

IMO they both are wrong. He stole lyrics. They stole the song. Karma is a bitch.
    Music copyright is not built on "karma."
    He covered a song and used a completely different melody and harmonisation of the song.
    Only thing the same is the lyrics.

He owns the rest other than the lyrics, fact.
    I'm betting he will pursue this as he is protected under law for his intellectual property.

Quote Originally Posted by solvexx View Post
    Music copyright is not built on "karma."
    He covered a song and used a completely different melody and harmonisation of the song.
    Only thing the same is the lyrics.

He owns the rest other than the lyrics, fact.
    I'm betting he will pursue this as he is protected under law for his intellectual property.
    I'm ignorant of copyright law as it applies to music, so I'll defer to you on legality. Nonetheless, I must say that anyone who regards his work as being original is someone that I regard as disingenuous.

I believe he actually paid for the right to cover the song. Johnny didn't steal anything lol, he went and did the cover using the correct means. Glee didn't. You saying that he can eat a bag of sheet is well ridiculous as EVERYTHING BESIDES THE LYRICS IS HIS OWN ORIGINAL CREATION. His original creation is what was stolen even down to the part where he mentioned his own name.

Johnny does have a license, not sure which type, but it does allow him to remix the song.

15+ Year Old Account
    Isn't his version of the song just a cover? It doesn't matter if you change the "harmony" of the song, the lyrics are the same so it's considered a cover, is it not?

I'm pretty sure Glee (thus Fox) would have gotten the rights to "cover" the song from the original artist, wouldn't that also give them the right to cover any covers?

He paid for the license (not sure which type, i saw the name but I forgot) and did a remix. Then Fox came along and stole his music and all the work he did. Without even notifying him or mentioning him at all.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    You realize that Jonathan Coulter not only stole the lyrics, but also the melody. Think John Denver. Or at least he sampled very heavily from John Denver's song.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

10+ Year Old Account
    He paid for the license (not sure which type, i saw the name but I forgot) and did a remix. Then Fox came along and stole his music and all the work he did. Without even notifying him or mentioning him at all.
    Is this the same Fox that is *Faux news*? Just to clarify.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by d3v View Post
    Isn't his version of the song just a cover? It doesn't matter if you change the "harmony" of the song, the lyrics are the same so it's considered a cover, is it not?

I'm pretty sure Glee (thus Fox) would have gotten the rights to "cover" the song from the original artist, wouldn't that also give them the right to cover any covers?
    It is one thing to take lyrics and another to take the beat. They are separate things. He has a license for the song as I have mentioned a few times time, everything else is his own creation. His own creation was stolen by fox with no attempt by them to go by it correctly.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm ignorant of copyright law as it applies to music, so I'll defer to you on legality. Nonetheless, I must say that anyone who regards his work as being original is someone that I regard as disingenuous.
    People sue (and win) for similar guitar riffs. It's that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    Is this the same Fox that is *Faux news*? Just to clarify.
    No. Because Johnny produce a completely new beat Fox would have had to have gotten a license/the rights from Johnny to use that beat.

10+ Year Old Account

Actuall is not ridiculous, if you make a remake of another song you can get the copyright of that remake, but in the end you have to give credit to the original owner of that song, so Glee isn't doing anything bad