What tablet would fulfill my needs(hard to come around the tablet market)?

Hello Computer forum!

I hope you're all having a nice weekend, and are ready to start a fresh new week

Now to my "problem", so to say.
    For a long time i have been looking at tablets, but the market seems so extremely huge, that it's just hard to know what a good price for a tablet is(concerning hardware and all that jazz).

Now i'm looking for a tablet where i can surf the internet, check facebook, watch a netflix movie and probably read a few books aswel. I might be looking for something to actually replace my laptop aswel, but i don't do video/photo editing, so it would only be notes, and are the noting programs really this much "developed" on tablets?

Overall i just think it's hard to figure out how good others than Apple are doing on the tablet market, and if their product are useful or not.

I've been looking at the Nexus 7, but i fear the monitor might be too small for what i would like to use my tablet for, but is it?
    I would love if you guys would take 2-5 min. of your time, to mention some of your thoughts on this subject, how are others than Apple doing on the tablet market, and what should i be aiming for in Hardware/pricing for what i would want?

Best regards, have a nice week

Nexus 7 is great for web surfing and casual Netflix, but it's not something I'd replace keyboard or big screen TV with. I never did much typing on laptop, mainly just few edits here and there on files that were created on a desktop computer, and for that use the 7" pad works great. Also when you're thinking about the size, 7" pad will fit into big pockets but 10" will not. If it's too big you don't want to carry it around and it will just stay home unused.

If you're unsure don't buy anything expensive (like the 64GB 3G model of iPad3), and get it from a store where you can return open box for a full refund if you don't like it.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

I had the opportunity to play around with an iPad during the Christmas and it was really nice, combined with the Apple TV it was a fun toy to play around with at home but I could never see myself trying to use it for any serious work.

For casual internet browsing, reading a book, playing a few games and perhaps watching a movie or two it is nice, but I can never see it replacing a laptop.

I guess the only tablet that can come close to a laptop is the Microsoft Surface Pro, but it comes with a pretty big pricetag.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

I got the Kindle Fire last year for Christmas and loved it. I've been thinking about upgrading to the Kindle Fire HD though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a Lenovo Ideapad A2107 7" at work, and I can say that 7"s is a very comfortable viewing size for internet and movies. It's cheaper then the Nexus 7 at around $120-130 US but lacks in storage, 8 gb on board but it does have a micro SD slot where the Nexus 7 doesn't. It's very durable as well, I've dropped it a few times and it's not even scratched. If you are heart set on something bigger, I would look at the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.0 10", it's one of the best on the market right now. Whatever you decide, make sure its upgradable to Android 4.1 Jellybean, and get an actual name brand not a Coby or IdeaUSA, they are cheap Chinese knockoffs and will only give you headaches. Samsung, Google Nexus, Lenovo, there are good choices for all budget ranges.
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    But hey, we're just strangers on the Internet with decades of combined IT and computer building experience, what do we know?

Deleted
    I have a nexus 7 and I love it, own the 32gb model so an SD card slot, while I thought it would be an issue, really isn't. Got several movies on there, some large games (Asphalt 7 and Most wanted) and i haven't even used half of the storage.

I personally feel the 7 inch fits right into the middle of what you want. Watching movies, while would be better on a 10" screen, reading books on a screen that big is a little obnoxious. Nexus 7 easily fits in 1 hand which makes it great for reading books on, watching movies is a blast. I would recommend anyone a nexus 7 that is jumping into the tablet market, it's one of the better tablets out there, and for the price you can pick them up at, everyone should own one.

Quote Originally Posted by razorback07 View Post
    I have a nexus 7 and I love it, own the 32gb model so an SD card slot, while I thought it would be an issue, really isn't. Got several movies on there, some large games (Asphalt 7 and Most wanted) and i haven't even used half of the storage.

I personally feel the 7 inch fits right into the middle of what you want. Watching movies, while would be better on a 10" screen, reading books on a screen that big is a little obnoxious. Nexus 7 easily fits in 1 hand which makes it great for reading books on, watching movies is a blast. I would recommend anyone a nexus 7 that is jumping into the tablet market, it's one of the better tablets out there, and for the price you can pick them up at, everyone should own one.
    This sounds nice!

How quickly is the tablet market moving, should i just buy one now or wait 1-2 months and see if new products equal to the Nexus 7 comes into the tablet market ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snixs View Post
    This sounds nice!

How quickly is the tablet market moving, should i just buy one now or wait 1-2 months and see if new products equal to the Nexus 7 comes into the tablet market ?
    Well tegra 4 was announced, but it's really only aimed at the gaming market. I do like games on my tablet but games will still run on a tegra 3 CPU for a long time to come, even the tegra 1 is holding up nicely in todays market. Someone could correct me if i'm wrong but unless you are looking to run games at absolute max, stream 4k video to a TV, I don't see much point in waiting. They will be very expensive for a while too, Nexus 7, only been £200 in the UK for the top model is a snatch, if your like me and only wanted it for reading ebooks and watching the occasional movie, you can't go wrong with it.

Not only that but it's probably the tablet with the most developer support, and with it been published by Google, expect to get Android updates for some years to come.

Deleted
    The nexus 10 is very nice, the highest resolution of any tablet so good for films and sharp text on books. Made by Google and comes with Chrome, so obviously the web browsing experience will be snappy. The 10 inch screen size is also very good, films are a bit, well, awkward on a 7 inch tablet.
    https://play.google.com/store/device...=nexus_10_16gb
    Isn't in stock atm though.
    For £319 for the 16gb version, it's a snatch. Better than the iPad, for less than the cost of an iPad. You can't go wrong!
    Last edited by mmocb5e225659b; 2013-01-20 at 08:41 PM.

You just described the note 10.1 Handwriting with the pen and the best note taking application (snote). You can also multiview and do 2 things at once with true multitasking. It's the fastest tablet on the market because it doesn't have to push 4 million pixels aka nexus 10. You want to be productive you want an note 10.1!

The Nexus line is manufactured by Asus, with the support of Google. One of the best things about it is you get Android updates immediately, with no hassle, which can be an issue for a lot of products. I have the seven inch one, and it's fantastic for pretty much any sort of content consumption, particularly with manga and graphic novels.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was going to wait till a Windows tablet or convertible at a reasonable price came out. But when I heard about the Nexus 7 and saw the specs, videos, read reviews - I went for it. And it's just awesome. I rarely buy things for myself. I feel like I made the best buy available at a decent price.

i have a le pen 10" android, works good & under 200

I have heard the Tegra chip isnt that good. I own a iPad 3 and I WOULD NOT BUY it again, apple is to controlling on what you can put on it.

If you are looking for laptop replacement, then only a few tablets are able to do that, the new MS Surface Pro, about 1000 dollars or the new Razor Edge starting at about 1000 and goes up, but the Edge actually can play PC games, it has its own Graphics card, no other tablet has that feature, most laptops dont have graphic cards.

Both tablets are at 10.1" I believe, i wouldnt go below the ipad size, 9.7", if you get a tablet. Unless you have good eyes, if your getting older get the bigger size. 9.7 or better.
    Last edited by Capt Froggy; 2013-01-22 at 05:34 AM.