Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Just those of us who value practicality in society.
    Fuck higher education, be happy? ^.^

Gues I don't really care at the moment if my maybe future children would want to go to college, but then, it doesn't matter anyway, because social first world ftw.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixC13 View Post
    My wife and I out away 50 a month in an account for our son he will get at 18 he can use it as he pleases. He can get a car, college or spend in on coke and hookers but we want to do it for him because no one did anything like that for us.
    <3
    this is so sweet !

Quote Originally Posted by Annapolis View Post
    Nothing prevents you, but it's not just a transfer. You'd need to apply to some commission thing, take step 1, step 2, join the match to find a residency, take step 3, and finally complete residency. You'd have less debt maybe but adding on all of the time to do that in the United States as compared to people in the United states who did it while you did your years in medical school it would probably equal out.
    I think my university is pretty well respected worldwide. It churns out a lot of medical research. For some reason unknown to me it dominates the capital's university in most fields of research. Although it is outranked on the University rankings - one is 52 and the other 79th in the world - it has a far higher research score.

http://www.topuniversities.com/unive...rsity-rankings

They are number 50 and 51 respectively when it comes to Medicine.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    I think my university is pretty well respected worldwide. It churns out a lot of medical research. For some reason unknown to me it dominates the capital's university in most fields of research. Although it is outranked on the University rankings - one is 52 and the other 79th in the world - it has a far higher research score.

I know dick about medical education, but i would bet it has more to do with licensing and certification than respectability of your institution.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

The better tactic is to make the kid take a loan for school on the grounds that you (the parent) pays him back if he gets good grades and graduates.

That would at least encourage him/her to finish what they started and not squander your cash, even if they think for some reason they don't want to be in the field they're working towards. Education in a field you're not into is far superior to no education (or rather, no piece of paper saying you endured higher education.)

Ya there are some medical schools not recognized by the United States, but I think all of the ones in Denmark are recognized. The things I outlined though are for all internationally trained students.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    Education in a field you're not into is far superior to no education (or rather, no piece of paper saying you endured higher education.)
    Is it really?

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    I know dick about medical education, but i would bet it has more to do with licensing and certification than respectability of your institution.
    Well licensing is one thing but another is if they recognize the institution. If not you have to go through a hellhole of loops and "re"-training. A friend of a family friend is an optometrist from Argentina. She couldn't work in Denmark before going through a boatloat of shit she told me. (though not as bluntly) And when I spoke with her last she had almost finished it. We spoke in Danish - she is Argentinian and not married to a Dane. So you can guess how long it takes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Annapolis View Post
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/s...e-gpa-18219523

A recent study that will be published in the American Sociology Review shows that parents who help pay for college will lower their children's GPA.

Would you still financially help your kids (or future kids) through college knowing this?
    I wouldnt pay a nickle for my kid to go to college where he would likely party away and fail. If you make them spend their own money they are more likely to not want to waste it by partying. Make them take out student loans like my parents did.

Well licensing is one thing but another is if they recognize the institution. If not you have to go through a hellhole of loops and "re"-training. A friend of a family friend is an optometrist from Argentina. She couldn't work in Denmark before going through a boatloat of shit she told me. (though not as bluntly) And when I spoke with her last she had almost finished it. We spoke in Danish - she is Argentinian and not married to a Dane. So you can guess how long it takes.
    Makes sense...I think we are both saying mostly the same thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DieFichte View Post
    Is it really?
    Sadly it opens up many doors for a different career path.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I wouldnt pay a nickle for my kid to go to college where he would likely party away and fail. If you make them spend their own money they are more likely to not want to waste it by partying. Make them take out student loans like my parents did.
    I suppose the idea of raising your kids properly so they won't "party away and fail" never crossed your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by plastkaze View Post
    Sadly it opens up many doors for a different career path.
    Very much this. Not checking that box is an instant DQ for a LOT of jobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Very much this. Not checking that box is an instant DQ for a LOT of jobs.
    I need about 20 people with no college education right now

(Because overtime sucks balls!)

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    I suppose the idea of raising your kids properly so they won't "party away and fail" never crossed your mind.
    Wasn't that what schools were for anyway?

Makes sense...I think we are both saying mostly the same thing.
    Yea i know, but as Denmark is a western nation it is likely to be valid to the other western nations. I imagine Argentina is valid to the rest of south america but not necessarily the rest of the world.

---------- Post added 2013-01-22 at 03:55 AM ----------

I thought that was what the TV was for...

10+ Year Old Account
    Why is this parenting thingy soooo complicated >.<

I need about 20 people with no college education right now

(Because overtime sucks balls!)
    Jobs of which there are plenty of as well. The thing is I can apply for a job requiring a degree because I have one AND a job that doesn't require a degree. If I didn't have a degree my options would be limited in that I couldn't apply for the jobs that require one. Well, I could still apply but my chances of getting it would be pretty damn close to zero.

They outsourced it to the internet and MMO's.

TV? Soooooo last century. Get with the times!

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's the fact that when students know their parents are paying for their college tuition, they can do whatever they like, knowing they'll be covered by their parents.

I once heard a story from someone during the college about a parent found out that their son was failing the semester because he was playing and partying around. They had a talk with their son when he came back to home. The parents told their son that they would no long continue to pay for his college tuition and the son would have to cover all the fee by himself if he want to continue attending the college. The son was shocked and begged his parents not to do that. The parents decided to give their son one more chance but they set down the rules. The parents want results, a good grade and GPA. If the son could give his parents that, they would continue to support him and pay the college tuition fees. This was a huge slap in the face for the son and from there, the son took college serious and his grade was improved by huge margin.

I think that is kind of the situation that all students need to have. The students need to understand that they have to grow up and accept the responsibilities the moment they graduate from high school. College isn't high school, it's a whole new world, one that comes with consequences. If every parents continue to spoil their children by continue to support their college tuition no matter what, their son/daughter will probably be likely to take advantage of that.
    Last edited by Dragonix80; 2013-01-22 at 03:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jobs of which there are plenty of as well. The thing is I can apply for a job requiring a degree because I have one AND a job that doesn't require a degree. If I didn't have a degree my options would be limited in that I couldn't apply for the jobs that require one. Well, I could still apply but my chances of getting it would be pretty damn close to zero.
    Guess our education systems are pretty much different. Or I could just say I have a degree, just not one from a college or university <.<

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    They outsourced it to the internet and MMO's.
    Hell yeah, I feel very qualified for proper parenting now!