Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Will WoW ever get a graphical overhaul?

Seems to me like they'll do it at some point. I remember all the people that used to say there would never be flying in Azeroth because of how much of a hassle it would be for Blizzard to practically re-work the entire world but look at where we are now. I remember watching a video of an interview with one of the peeps from Blizz, I think it was either an interview done by Wowcrendork or Jesse Cox and one of the questions was that if Blizzard had unlimited funds what would he want to do most for WoW and he answered a total graphical overhaul so I think maybe they'd like to improve the graphics as well but who knows.

On the other hand maybe it is just too much for them to be capable of. Even if they were capable of doing it I'm not sure everyone would be happy with it because WoW's graphics do have a certain charm imo. Not to mention that it may not even be worth it considering how much time and money it would probably cost them and with maybe only a few expansions left and the possibility of subscriptions dropping they may not want to risk it.

Anyway... what do you think?
    Last edited by Ifeanychukwu; 2013-01-20 at 05:28 PM.

I sort of don't think it will happen.
    Kind of in the same situation as Pokemon. Too many Pokemon to bring into 3D with their own unique moves, so they'll just start with a clean slate.
    Too much in WoW to give a graphical overhaul.

I'm sure things such as better textures, depth of field, and better shaders may come in someday, but a entire graphical overhaul doesn't seem likely.

If it does happen though... I guess you can just point and laugh at me for doubting. :S
    Last edited by Libram; 2013-01-20 at 05:32 PM.

A total overhaul seems unlikely with the Titan project that exists. Minor improvements may happen such as newer character models and some smaller effects. Wish they would at least spend a great deal of time optimizing the game to work on more modern hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulForge View Post
    A total overhaul seems unlikely with the Titan project that exists. Minor improvements may happen such as newer character models and some smaller effects. Wish they would at least spend a great deal of time optimizing the game to work on more modern hardware.
    Yeah it would be nice if they could enhance it a bit for some higher end computers but they've always gotta worry about the people with the lower end computers so they can keep the maximum number of people playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    Yeah it would be nice if they could enhance it a bit for some higher end computers but they've always gotta worry about the people with the lower end computers so they can keep the maximum number of people playing.
    And that's probably their main player base too. x)
    I will might change someday when Intel's APU processors become standard for retail computers. (That's if the OEM market doesn't go belly up by then...)
    Last edited by Libram; 2013-01-20 at 05:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What do you even mean by a "graphical overhaul"? We're already getting new models for old races and a few other things. More than that could threaten the game's very identity and should never be done.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Galbrei View Post
    What do you even mean by a "graphical overhaul"? We're already getting new models for old races and a few other things. More than that could threaten the game's very identity and should never be done.
    If new models are actually being developed and not simply Dance Studio Part Deux, that is. It is entirely possible to -refine- graphics rather than redo them, which is what they have done over years.

But, as above, one of WoW's chief attractions is that it can be played on a toaster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Well to be fair the game had huge improvements in graphics over the years, shadows, water, lightning effects and much better textures, higher polygon counts, bigger draw distance etc. Although some MMOs do have better graphics its not a huge difference and WoW looks nice as it is. Bear in mind that a MMO may never look as good as some SP game like Witcher 2 or Far Cry 3 etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Galbrei View Post
    That's one of the reasons I said they may not even want to do it. By overhaul I meant a complete and total overhaul, talking Skyrim quality type of overhaul. I honestly don't know if I'd want that or not because I love the current art style and I'm not sure how they'd even pull off things like all the different races in such detail without it seeming cheesy.

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    As I am one of the people that has a crap 5 years old pc I would suggest for blizz to add some new graphic settings above ultra so that people like me can enjoy the old out of date graphics but people with new pcs can have cool new look.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    Seems to me like they'll do it at some point. I remember all the people that used to say there would never be flying in Azeroth because of how much of a hassle it would be for Blizzard to practically re-work the entire world but look at where we are now. I remember watching a video of an interview with one of the peeps from Blizz, I think it was either an interview done by Wowcrendork or Jesse Cox and one of the questions was that if Blizzard had unlimited funds what would he want to do most for WoW and he answered a total graphical overhaul so I think maybe they'd like to improve the graphics as well but who knows.

On the other hand maybe it is just too much for them to be capable of. Even if they were capable of doing it I'm not sure everyone would be happy with it because WoW's graphics do have a certain charm imo. Not to mention that it may not even be worth it considering how much time and money it would probably cost them and with maybe only a few expansions left and the possibility of subscriptions dropping they may not want to risk it.

Anyway... what do you think?
    They make significant graphical changes each expansion. Water effects, lighting, models, fire, buildings, gear, and pretty much everything else looks better in the expansions slowly but surely older content gets those upgrades as well. Just look at the minimum required GPU needed, it's an 8800. When it came out all you needed was onboard with 3d acceleration pretty much. If you are talking like going from EQ to EQ2 quality it will not happen. It would alienate too many players that are not PC enthusiasts who upgrade their PCs. Don't forget the average PC in America gets replaced every 5-8 years. The average gamer upgrades something yearly.

Highly Doubtful. The best you will see in WoW is probably what you see with the new Panda races for the time being. They have nice movements and probably look the most realistic of all the characters, and I am sure blizz will eventually get around to making all the races look as good as them (I think they promises to start working on them back in Cataclysm slightly before the release?) WoW is looking dated, and sadly anytime anyone says anything about it we get the same response from blizz...the graphics are intentionally that way. It gives the game it's look, style, etc. Blizz claims they have what is needed to make the changes, they just choose not to for that reason and will update character models one or two races at a time.

Personally, I feel kind of insulted as a customer that pays money each month along with MILLIONS of others. Blizz makes MILLIONS of dollars each month but can't afford a complete re-haul of the graphics? Most popular MMORPG and I feel like I am playing a last generation game. New MMORPG's come out with excellent graphics to offer their players...they choose to invest the time and money for their handful of fans (compared to what blizz has). Sometimes I feel that lately blizz is simply taking the money and being like any other business out there...using the bare minimum in order to keep their profits high and their spending low.

I canceled my sub lately because I started feeling like blizz cares more about the money they get than the experience they offer. It didn't always feel that way, but as of late it does. And maybe when I see blizz putting out more than just dailies and stuff to keep me distracted from the other things that need improvement (anytime I play my tauren there is a line that runs through them when they move that just gets old...my troll bear has lines running through their legs when they are in bear form...and why the heck do certain hairstyles on multiple characters still pop through certain helmets and sometimes even shoulder pads?) There are plenty of simple fixes blizz still needs to make...things blizz has been promising to change for several years now. But lately it's all about the grind, and not about the actual look of the world of the game we spend so much time and money in.

if this has to happen blizzard will do it slowly and step by step over time doing that in a single patch would need LOT of work , also not everyone has high end computers and improving the graphics would be a major issue for those players

Quote Originally Posted by Victoriaautmors View Post
    Well to be fair the game had huge improvements in graphics over the years, shadows, water, lightning effects and much better textures, higher polygon counts, bigger draw distance etc. Although some MMOs do have better graphics its not a huge difference and WoW looks nice as it is. Bear in mind that a MMO may never look as good as some SP game like Witcher 2 or Far Cry 3 etc.
    Yeah that's for sure, I was pretty impressed the first time I logged in on MoP's beta and saw the shadow and lighting improvements. Also, Witcher 2 is awesome

Deleted
    I feel like I am playing a last generation game.
    you are.

to be fair the graphics are fine the way they are, if graphics were the be all and end all of what made a game work so many of these high graphics games wouldn't be shutting down or having to go free to play to get people onto them.

What I meant by overhaul is taking advantage of higher end hardware. I don't see why my 2600k with 16gigs of ram and a 670 GTX can not get better frame rates at all times. Based on the age of this game it shouldn't be an issue. But I see it as an engine limitation.

It doesn't need an overhaul. The gradual improvement of everything from critters models to landscapes and water effects and the scheduled player model updates are fine.

Deleted
    updated graphics ? yes take a look at new models.
    replaced engine ? Never.

I very much doubt it. It would probably be easier to just make a completely new game engine and port all the content, or just make a new game instead. When a project/game is as big as this it would be immensely difficult to change the current engine and still have everything work as it should.

Also, i doubt they want to make it so that not everyone would be able to run the game, thus i don't see them changing anything overly dramatic any time soon.

Considering the pile of absolute "WTF" that a WoW engine is when looking at coding standpoint I doubt any proper engine switch is even possible after so many fixes and bandaids it has gotten over with.