10+ Year Old Account

Patch 5.2 Opinions

Seeing how I haven't seen a thread discussing the aesthetics and design of the Isle of the Thunder King, I decided to make one so I can say what I think about the patch so far and you guys can contribute your thoughts and discuss. This thread is about the design of the models, structures and artwork of the patch, and not class changes and buffs/nerfs.

First off: I'm loving this content patch, and the new theme has really brought back my love for trolls again since ZG and ZA. Blizzard amazed me so much with the Zandalari; the lore, the design and even the architecture. Oh my the Zandalari architecture is amazing and so beautiful. The dinosaurs and the whole vibe is great. But what makes me uneasy is the models of the Zandalari trolls themselves... Don't get me wrong, the models, armor and details are astounding, but they just don't look or feel like trolls. It took me a few minutes to realize why. It's because they're not hunched over. The fact that they stand completely upright irks me and they no longer feel like trolls. Lore-wise, the Zandalari are said to be more muscular and taller than most trolls, and Blizzard nailed the muscular part, but flopped on the "taller" part. I made a Darkspear troll on the PTR and stood next to a mob while it wailed on me, and my troll character was the same height as the standard Zandalari troll... and my troll was hunched over while the mob was standing up straight. I honestly hope Blizzard fixes this asap, because it really doesn't look or feel right. I know they say that content on the PTR is subject to change, but when have you seen crucial things like models changed? I doubt they'll change it and it'll stay like this unfortunately.

The second thing that annoys me is how small the Horde and Alliance bases are. Like seriously. The Blood Elves get a big tent surrounded by like 5 smaller tents, plus some big well looking thing, and the High Elves get a big tower and like 4 tents. Seriously? Couldn't they have used some Blood Elven building from Eversong Woods or Falcon Watch in Hellfire, and High Elven structures from Allerian Stronghold in Terokkar? It's saddening really. Oh and I hope they make those new factions and don't reuse the Sunreavers and Silver Covenant.

What are your thoughts so far, everyone? Do you agree or disagree? And do you have anything aside from these points that you want to discuss as well?

I know that trolls are a large part of Azeroth's History and general WoW lore. But to be honest I'm fucking sick of them by this point. I think DS and Firelands were the only raids that had nothing to do with trolls (EXAGGERATION RELAX)

Every patch, Every raid, Every dungeon. Zandalari that, Zandalari this. Zandalari,Zandalari,Zandalari.

I am so sick of trolls.

That aside...I love the look of it so far. I honestly do hope that Thunderking matches Ulduar in size and scale like Blizzard says it will. Ulduar was an amazing raid. I am liking the elite rare battlepets you can find in the world now, The dinosaur mounts look pretty cool as well. And I know you said no Tier discussion, But I rather like the LOOK of my T-15.

So I am excited for it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysara View Post
    I know that trolls are a large part of Azeroth's History and general WoW lore. But to be honest I'm fucking sick of them by this point. I think DS and Firelands were the only raids that had nothing to do with trolls (EXAGGERATION RELAX)

Every patch, Every raid, Every dungeon. Zandalari that, Zandalari this. Zandalari,Zandalari,Zandalari.

I am so sick of trolls.

That aside...I love the look of it so far. I honestly do hope that Thunderking matches Ulduar in size and scale like Blizzard says it will. Ulduar was an amazing raid. I am liking the elite rare battlepets you can find in the world now, The dinosaur mounts look pretty cool as well. And I know you said no Tier discussion, But I rather like the LOOK of my T-15.

So I am excited for it
    The tiers actually look good this time. That baffled me, because they normally release some ugly ass class sets. The monk pvp set looks horrendous though. It looks like the monk visited the Starcraft universe and fell in love with Banelings. Still waiting to see the rogue pvp set.

The raid is fucking huge, and I trust Blizzard in their statement that it might trump Ulduar.

And holy fuck I want a devilsaur mount NOW. I've always wanted to ride a devilsaur ever since I saw my first one in Un'goro back in 2004. Ever since then I always wanted one.

Quote Originally Posted by DaHomieG View Post
    The tiers actually look good this time. That baffled me, because they normally release some ugly ass class sets.
    Pretty sure the shaman set (My main class when i played WoW) looks horrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Pretty sure the shaman set (My main class when i played WoW) looks horrible.
    It looks just like the Zandalari armor the mobs wear! It looks amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wasn't sure what to expect with the new zone, and I find the storm-wracked mountain-jungle scenery to be very awesome. The raid zone is huge and I'm looking forwards to playing through it, I'm just hoping they fill those big hallway stretches with lots of thematically appropriate props - forges, weapon racks, war machines, etc. Nothing spoils a nice dungeon than just big empty hallways - give me something like Karazhan, Blackwing Lair, Blackrock Caverns, or Utgarde Keep. It must look lived in - design it as a building first, and a dungeon second, sez I.

Re.: the bases - bear in mind that as the storyline progresses the players are supposed to conquer more of the island. So those bases might grow and expand over time as we do so, as they did way back in BC for the Isle of Quel'Danas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    I wasn't sure what to expect with the new zone, and I find the storm-wracked mountain-jungle scenery to be very awesome. The raid zone is huge and I'm looking forwards to playing through it, I'm just hoping they fill those big hallway stretches with lots of thematically appropriate props - forges, weapon racks, war machines, etc. Nothing spoils a nice dungeon than just big empty hallways - give me something like Karazhan, Blackwing Lair, Blackrock Caverns, or Utgarde Keep. It must look lived in - design it as a building first, and a dungeon second, sez I.

Re.: the bases - bear in mind that as the storyline progresses the players are supposed to conquer more of the island. So those bases might grow and expand over time as we do so, as they did way back in BC for the Isle of Quel'Danas.
    I hope you're right on the base part. It looks thrown together.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just wanna know if Rastakhan is dead and when we get to kill Zul....

On the subject of 5.2, it looks great. Actually got me to start leveling again instead of idling about. This is looking good, now we'll see if the wave can carry through to 5.3.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure the bases are unfinished, even now. They've been slowly adding more and more to them as the PTR has come along.

Quote Originally Posted by Elysara View Post

I am so sick of trolls.

So I am excited for it
    I agree with this wholeheartedly. Fucking sick of troll lore. There is always at least one major or minor content patch in every expansion that is Troll-related.

That said, I think overall Throne of Thunder looks very nice and more Mogu and Titan related than troll. Plus they actually remade the troll models and such for this patch, unlike being lazy and just reusing everything like in previous troll patches. (Mostly pointing to 4.1)

Quote Originally Posted by DaHomieG View Post
    It looks just like the Zandalari armor the mobs wear! It looks amazing.
    imho it looks like crap. shaman dresses are also not my favorite attire. And wooden masks for a helm is also crap. Glad i dont play WoW right now. And if i did i would transmog that set soon as i got it.

Deleted
    I personally like the look of the bases. The island is extremely chaotic and presents the idea of war in a very aesthetic and atmospheric way, though while Blizzard do indeed sometimes utilise symbolism in the zones they design, it may not necessarily be the case here. I doubt the humans/elves would waste time and effort raising an extravagant building when tents will suffice in a war effort, and when they are constantly under attack by Trolls and Mogu.

Everything is looking great so far. The art team never disappoint with their designs, model textures, and use of colours. The quality of the work is some of the best in WoW in my opinion.