Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

All this high textured armor makes me sad..

.. when I see it on my character who has such low quality texture on his character model.

Seeing the level of high quality texturing the armor has in mists, and then compared to how well made a pandaren looks in terms of there skin texture, the level of polygons gone into it, it makes it feel like the game is finally up to a good standard.

But then, I log onto my orc, or troll, or someone logs onto there human or dwarf, and seeing them in the same armor, how poor there character textures are compared to it.

This seems more of a rant then anything, but I'm just really wondering how can the developers keep turning a blind eye. I've not seen one of them on tweet or blue posts just say 'the old character models and textures are terrible looking now compared to the latest stuff we've done'. Pandaria really is the nicest looking work they have done, from the landscapes to the races put in it. Infact the details and how higher looking it is makes things like vanilla races look out of place with everything else.

Be honest, would you sooner they focus on updating the vanilla races come the next expansion, at the expense of something else?
    #boycottchina

No time to update player models, the critters are more important!

... But yeah they badly need to update the vanilla races already

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    No time to update player models, the critters are more important!

... But yeah they badly need to update the vanilla races already
    You make a solid point, look at this:

A freaking toad got an updated model, that looks better then a vanilla playable race model.

Hozen, Mantid, even the texturing of mogu and yaungol look better then anything we get to play.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    My character sits under a suit of armor... I literally see no skin on him.

Seeing as armor and NPCs are actually what I'm looking at most of the time, I'm quite content with them pushing those out first, while character models, which take a great deal more effort, are worked on in the background.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    I guess i agree, Even though i don't play WoW anymore! The gear and weapons stand out so much compared to the character from what i see on frontpage updates. It doesen't really suit well.

The problem with redoing character models is that they need to still look the same to the people who are just fine with the status quo, yet they need to be new and attractive to the people wanting them to be updated. There's no easy way to do it so that everyone is pleased with the end result. I for one would hate for my main to suddenly look completely different, no matter how many extra polygons would have been added over night.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    My character sits under a suit of armor... I literally see no skin on him.

Seeing as armor and NPCs are actually what I'm looking at most of the time, I'm quite content with them pushing those out first, while character models, which take a great deal more effort, are worked on in the background.
    They updated a frog model, which looks now better then vanilla character models. Think about it. They didn't need to, they just did.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    The problem with redoing character models is that they need to still look the same to the people who are just fine with the status quo, yet they need to be new and attractive to the people wanting them to be updated. There's no easy way to do it so that everyone is pleased with the end result. I for one would hate for my main to suddenly look completely different, no matter how many extra polygons would have been added over night.
    Make a "use old model" option in the display section. Problem solved. They even said they were thinking about this.

With any luck, that female troll model they unveiled a while ago is a prelude of things to come. I would love to see the vanilla and TBC races redone, but it's something we're gonna have to wait for.

Hopefully, my warrior will look more like Thrall than Garrosh while maintaining the hunchback I've become so accustomed to.

EDIT: And on the subject of armor, I'm still waiting for gear to be fully rendered in 3D as opposed to simply being painted on. That would definitely be a welcome change.

New models would be nice, but not at the expense of content. Maybe at the "expense" of pvp balance band-aids.

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Make a "use old model" option in the display section. Problem solved. They even said they were thinking about this.
    They have also said that they want the new models to capture the feel of the old ones if at all possible. So my personal guess is that a "Use Old Models" option is kept as a last resort.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    You make a solid point, look at this:

A freaking toad got an updated model, that looks better then a vanilla playable race model.

Hozen, Mantid, even the texturing of mogu and yaungol look better then anything we get to play.
    It's difficult to redo playable models. 1st of all because it needs new animations or readjusted old animations in addition to the updated textures. Needs to rework the animations onto the gear (not that nowadays we don't have immobile shoulder armors that the character stick the limbs through: mostly worgen and pandaren models, as well as female dwarf). On the other hand if you just want updated textures and nothing else, it should be very easy to do. However Blizzard doesn't want to just add new textures and leave it at that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rheckameohs View Post
    With any luck, that female troll model they unveiled a while ago is a prelude of things to come. I would love to see the vanilla and TBC races redone, but it's something we're gonna have to wait for.

Hopefully, my warrior will look more like Thrall than Garrosh while maintaining the hunchback I've become so accustomed to.

EDIT: And on the subject of armor, I'm still waiting for gear to be fully rendered in 3D as opposed to simply being painted on. That would definitely be a welcome change.
    oh.. my.. god. I haven't seen that image before, but that model on the female troll is just amazing. THAT is what I want vanilla races to look like.
    #boycottchina

Deleted
    yeah right,cheap and bullshit apologist argument,if your character model is done good it doesnt matter if it looks completely different,cause it will be good,besides the whole point is to actually change stuff...
    also if you're worried about blizzard making something worse then we currently have,well don't worry your standards are low,I doubt they'd manage to screw up the human model,this model is so horrible I'm quite shocked it toke blizz what 7 years to think about texture updates,like really...they'd have to do it on purpose

10+ Year Old Account
    They have also said that they want the new models to capture the feel of the old ones if at all possible. So my personal guess is that a "Use Old Models" option is kept as a last resort.
    tbh, when you've played an orc that hunches like a peon for 8 years, you don't want to be told the updated models will look the same as the old.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    They updated a frog model, which looks now better then vanilla character models. Think about it. They didn't need to, they just did.
    We don't know what they're planning with it. Giant frog boss?

Regardless, it's still less work than character models, which require new skeletons. You can't really get into "transitive properties of art," trying to say "if they hadn't given the new pteradon another idle emote, we OBVIOUSLY would be 1/5 closer to giving male humans a more refined /kneel emote!"
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by ZRebellion View Post
    yeah right,cheap and bullshit apologist argument,if your character model is done good it doesnt matter if it looks completely different,cause it will be good,besides the whole point is to actually change stuff...
    Thank you for speaking on behalf of 10 million people. I'm sure none of us can think for ourselves.

also if you're worried about blizzard making something worse then we currently have,well don't worry your standards are low,I doubt they'd manage to screw up the human model,this model is so horrible I'm quite shocked it toke blizz what 7 years to think about texture updates,like really...they'd have to do it on purpose
    If you're so good at doing these things, why don't you apply to Blizzard and use your amazing talent to get things done since they're obviously so incompetent they can't do it themselves?

---------- Post added 2013-01-20 at 11:14 PM ----------

tbh, when you've played an orc that hunches like a peon for 8 years, you don't want to be told the updated models will look the same as the old.
    Some people play Orc because they like the exact same thing you're tired of.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheckameohs View Post

Indeed, you'd expect such a modern and popular MMO to have that.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

10+ Year Old Account
    I vote for at least this
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Deleted
    The Goblin and Pandaren models are wonderfully expressive. I'm eager to see the older player models to brought to a similar level, and I'm glad they are taking their time with it.