Thread: Game sounds....

10+ Year Old Account

Game sounds....

So Im off pew pewing minding my own business getting my raid on when I randomly mention I have game sounds on for some random question. A wave of shock and appall washes over 24 people in the raid I am in. I asked a few friends and it seems alot of people have game sounds off for the most part. I then explain I have game music off but I have game sounds (ambient and effects on) to the lowest setting. To the point where 1 keystroke makes it mute so its very very soft. On top of that I have music playing and its been like this for me for years. Now Im not ignorant to the fact that boss mods help and I have Big Wigs for that, game sounds for me at least help my reaction to certain mechanics. For a long time boss abilities are tied to emotes and audio and hearing it say something helps me react in addition to timers. One thing that sticks to me is a boss will usually emote when someone dies, thats when I know need to find the dead guy on my frames and throw a brez on him. So I dont know...thoughts?

I always play with the sounds and music on. I don't just play the game by looking at my UI, I listen to the sound and music for cues too. I do play without sound every now and then if I have something running in the background or if I'm voicechatting with friends, but in general my performance drops slightly when I do.

people are who are elitist about not playing with game sounds are idiots. why are you depriving yourself of all that extra information?
    " I need a sec, my wrists hurt from spamming slam so hard. Playing cleave vs cleave is tough stuff guys"

10+ Year Old Account
    One of our tanks play with music fairly loud, and we manage to kill Sha heroic just fine every week .

And he is a very good player who reacts instantly when someone is low, or dead.
    3 manning all Challenge Modes on GOLD! - Youtube.com/MyCelar

Quote Originally Posted by kosechi View Post
    people are who are elitist about not playing with game sounds are idiots. why are you depriving yourself of all that extra information?
    Extra distractions imo.

Modify game files so you don't hear "ugh ahhh ahhh ugh" every second but can still hear crucial stuff.

Never use wow sound and always listen to music

You don't "need" sound but it can help if you're having trouble keeping tracks of everything going on!

Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Extra distractions imo.
    how are sounds any more distracting? all that flashy crap on the ground is way more distracting then sounds. most of the time you can't see either the boss's ground effects or the other raiders because of the spell effects.
    " I need a sec, my wrists hurt from spamming slam so hard. Playing cleave vs cleave is tough stuff guys"

Personally I play with some sounds on. I have most of the annoying combat noises (casting noises, character grunts, etc...) muted through blank audio files. The result is I can hear boss emotes which helps with my recognizing that abilities are coming on top of boss mods.

Quote Originally Posted by kosechi View Post
    how are sounds any more distracting? all that flashy crap on the ground is way more distracting then sounds. most of the time you can't see either the boss's ground effects or the other raiders because of the spell effects.
    And if you could turn off other raiders' flashy crap, you probably would. Unfortunately, that flashy crap is the only way you can tell where you're not supposed to stand. Sound doesn't do the same thing.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Deleted
    I wish blizzard would implement and option to disable combat sounds(i know blank audio files, cba), the caster,- melee swings etc etc sounds is so stupid, its annoying static sound that i in no way at all benefit from and neither do you. Only place i see a benefit from those sounds are pvp, even then they are not needed as addons can handle the info part of that better any way.
    and btw DBM warnings etc still play with sound disabled.

Havent played with ingame sound since 2 hours into vanilla.... or well turned it on for raggy and vaelstraz ofc
    its kind of sad cause i miss out on a lot of nice emote sounds from bosses, voice over while questing, as well as when quests go into cinematic if you dont have sound enabled before it starts you cant enable it while it last.. i realised how much i missed out on while lvl'ing my alt were i remembered to turn on sound most of the time when talk started(really love the panda voice acting)

as for music, Two steppes from hell, Hans zimmer, klaus badelt, jerry goldsmith and the rest of my own music is way better than ingame music =)

Any way, and in any case if people like the static noise its their business, and i would not tell them what to do or like.
    Last edited by mmocd79892434a; 2013-01-21 at 06:24 AM.