Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldFish View Post
    If there was more people eating veal, then more calves would be kept alive for longer to have as food instead of killed at birth. So I really wouldn't call it evil. Eat more veal, and add life to a cow!

Edit: On Countryfile (TV program) - "A few months ago on Countryfile, John Craven, reported on efforts to stop newborn male dairy calves being shot at birth – because they cost too much to rear for beef. One solution was to use them for veal"
    Sorry, but I dont want to add more Missary to their life. Veil comes from male baby cows. Because they can't produce milk. In order for a cow to produce milk, they must give birth. The females are taken to be more dairy cows, the males veil. They are chained at the neck so they can only stand and lie down. Maybe take a step back and forward. They are all alone except when feed two meals.

Then, when they are old enough, they are herded onto a truck. However, since they could never walk they are forced on the truck with electric prods. If that doesn't work, they drag them with chains. Its so tender and juicy because they are NEVER allowed to exercise to build muscle.

I know what veil is, and I would eat it If it wasn't for the conditions they live and grow in. I'll eat any other kind of meat, cause meat is damn good, but veil.

Hmm, if its not Jaylock making these threads its superstarz

Quote Originally Posted by stuck4cash View Post
    It's called veal because that's what it's called. The same way beef refers to old cows.

How is it any different killing a baby to an adult? You're still taking it's life for the purposes of eating it.

I have absolutely no problems with eating a cow (of any age) as long as it is housed and killed humanely and doesn't suffer. Even then I'm not sure that I'd care as long as it tasted yummy.
    Pretty much this.

Why do you value something that is 1 year/5 years old less than 1 month old?

So do you value your grandparents less than your parents? Would you value yourself less than someone else's baby?

My question is, why not value them all the same?

If you eat meat at all, then, you should worry more about how it is taken care of and how it is fed while it is alive; then care about how they decide to slaughter the animal, if it is done in the most humane way possible.

It isn't like they are killing 20 year old cows, most cows for consumption are 18-24 months old. Veal being 3-6 months old. You are basically giving them another year or so. The reason they do it at that age is the bone to meat ratio becomes prime. You keep them alive any longer and you incur costs that are either non-returnable, or the price of meat would have to go up greatly to compensate. Feed isn't free for most cattle farmers.

Basically, your problem with it is something you've learned, or in similar circumstances, a societal perception. Some societies thought cows were sacred, and would be appalled by our mass consumption of this holy animal. Some societies eat cat and dog, where most 'westerners' would be grossed out by it. Some tribes ate human flesh, while it is quite taboo today. Some people don't eat dear because they are 'cute' or 'I can't eat bambi'. These are all emotional or learned responses ...

I personally don't eat seafood, mostly because I think shrimp, oyster meat looks gross, or I don't like the taste or smell of most fish, or I personally finding cracking lobster/crab to be barbaric; or that fish that still has the skin makes me sad, I've owned large fish in aquarium and it freaks me out. I understand that these are food terms (pork, beef, veal, venison), which when I was a child, I didn't, ignorance was bliss, but I do enjoy a steak. I just can't be the one slaughtering or butchering it. I know, I've worked a short time in a slaughterhouse and it scarred me enough that I stopped eating meat for several years, and still have moments I just can't eat something ... usually sausages and hot dogs with 'natural' casings. Logically, I know it is all the same, doesn't matter, but I have an emotional response, and that has control at that moment.

I respect people, true hunters, who can go out and catch their dinner, clean and use all of it. In fact, those are the only hunters I have any respect for, not ones who do it purely for 'sport' or for a wall trophy. I'd venture to assume that most hunters do clean and use most of it though, or at least I'd hope so.

Soylent green is people; doesn't matter if they are 1 month or 100 years old.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by superstarz View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcnH_TOqi3I

watch this video of a chimp eating a baby gazelle..
    do you think its slack?
    its what you are doing when you eat baby animals.
    Hey, the baboon has to eat to survive, i see no problems

10+ Year Old Account
    Uhm... because it's Delicious!
    I would eat kittens and puppies if they tasted good, fuck if I care what it looks like or where it comes from.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcnH_TOqi3I

watch this video of a chimp eating a baby gazelle..
    do you think its slack?
    its what you are doing when you eat baby animals.
    LOL wow that video is graphic. The baboon doesn't even kill the gazelle. He literally eats it until it stops being alive.

8/10 on the Metal scale.

10+ Year Old Account
    Love veal.
    I wonder if the same is true for humans; If a plump baby human tastes more tender than grown up human.
    Anyone here from the Andes flight crash in 1972?

10+ Year Old Account
    Umm i like Veal. I don't eat it that often but its good. How do i feel that its baby cows? Doesn't seem that different from killing a older cow so it doesn't matter to me.
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

Its called veal because it is a more decent way to refer to it than to call it what it actually is.
    Yeah I am a vegetarian because it is a morally and environmentally superior lifestyle choice. However, I don't go around criticizing people for their lifestyle choices

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    Uhm... because it's Delicious!
    I would eat kittens and puppies if they tasted good, fuck if I care what it looks like or where it comes from.
    I hear infant humans taste good, and they're less smart than average pig so you could try that.

It's to do with the English language, and the fact that the French language was, for a long time, regarded as classy and sophisticated. Pigflesh became pork, cowflesh became beef, deer became venison, calf became veal... Etcetera.
    Is eating veal (or lamb, for that matter) evil? I don't see why it should be. Bob veal seems sensible, even.
    Do I eat veal? No. But that's because calves that are to be butchered for meat are usually undernourished in order to make their meat taste more subtle. All sorts of deficiencies don't help making a happy animal, so I don't partake in it.
    I do eat lamb, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by holyunholy View Post
    Its called veal because it is a more decent way to refer to it than to call it what it actually is.
    Yeah I am a vegetarian because it is a morally and environmentally superior lifestyle choice. However, I don't go around criticizing people for their lifestyle choices
    By referring to your personal choice as 'morally superior you automatically judge others' choices to be morally inferior.
    So your statement is ironic.

Besides, your choice isn't superior. It's just your choice.

I know right? I just call em baby cows. CHOMP!

Read your comment back to yourself...

Why exactly is it evil? Would you call a tiger eating a baby cow evil? We are animals eating other animals. It's just nature. There is nothing evil about it.

Is it because if you was to call it by what it is, which is baby cow it would turn alot of people off?
    is the reason they call it veal so people dont feel bad about killing baby cows?

i have never tried veal and think its evil to kill baby animals to eat.

Bob veal is calves that are slaughtered when only a few days old (at most 1 month old) up to 60 lb.[2]
    Now that is evil and i dont understand why people do it.
    why not just wait till its older before you kill it for food?

do you guys eat veal?
    and how do you feel about this
    The etomology of veal is based on a latin word that means small calf. A 2 second internet search could have revealed this information. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/veal

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    I wouldn't say morally, but health wise I could see it.
    hmm health wise vegetarianism is lacking

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kazih View Post
    I hear infant humans taste good, and they're less smart than average pig so you could try that.
    Are you seriously comparing a human being to live stock? I truly Lol'd at this.
    A infant may not be smart, but they will become smart. A pig (and in the case of this thread, a calf) is un-evolved, and will always be un-evolved.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

If it really was an environmentally superior lifestyle choice then no animal would be carnivorous.

A infant may not be smart, but they will become smart. A pig (and in the case of this thread, a calf) is un-evolved, and will always be un-evolved.
    Pigs are a bad example as they are actually pretty smart little bastards.

10+ Year Old Account
    not unevolved, just evolved differently

course that doesn't make the comparison ok :P