Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Crystal of Insanity

anyone else having a wonderful time farming this thing? I am currently on 27 kills of Sulik'shor without it dropping. since it's farmed so much, I have been staying up to the middle of the night to do it, yet after 27 kills I haven't seen it. one Warrior who was 'just passing' managed to swoop in and kill him before I even had time to react to the NPC Scan alert sound, and ofc he looted the Crystal first kill.

so, who else is getting the 'visions of insanity' buff IRL?

As I was flying past (can't remember what I was doing..maybe dailies?), my NPC scan alerted me that there was a rare below me, so I dropped down and went Blood Spec ('cause I hadn't fought the mob before and didn't know his moves). When he died he gave me a Crystal of Insanity. I thought it was pretty cool. I have it macro'd to my Horn of Winter.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've had the Crystal for about two months now, haven't used a single flask apart from ones I win in CTA loot bags from random heroics. So keep at it soldier, its damn worth it. Plus, you can bust it in random battlegrounds/heroics to give you that little extra boost, as there really isnt any reason not too.

If it makes you feel any better, I got mine after about ~5 kills.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

But it doesn't even persist through death.

Uh... not that I'd know or anything from personal experience.

Deleted
    just an update here, I am now on 31 kills no drop: yesterday however I was about to tag it when a GUILDMATE flying past tagged it first, getting the Crystal (which he didn't know existed) first time.

kill. me. now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by squidbear View Post
    just an update here, I am now on 31 kills no drop: yesterday however I was about to tag it when a GUILDMATE flying past tagged it first, getting the Crystal (which he didn't know existed) first time.

kill. me. now.
    Patience my friend..., soon or later you will get what you want.................................................................. or get a chance to kill someone in a bloody way :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I have two questions regarding this rare mob:

1.) Is the mob in a different phase (similar to some mobs in VoEB) so he is only active on some days and tied to the dailies?

2.) What is better? Crystal of Insanity or my Alchemists Flask (+320 Intellect)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivena View Post
    I have two questions regarding this rare mob:

1.) Is the mob in a different phase (similar to some mobs in VoEB) so he is only active on some days and tied to the dailies?

2.) What is better? Crystal of Insanity or my Alchemists Flask (+320 Intellect)
    no it respawns every 1-2 hours. shortest respawn I saw was 45 minutes. it's not phased, I can see it on a character that has completed all VotFW quests and one that has done none of them

and the crystal is better (+500 is more than +320) unless you die. it has a 15 minute cooldown.

Deleted
    If you're a healer, it's pretty close to a real flask, although you'll still need real flasks for wipe nights because of the 15 minute cooldown. For the rest of us it's still great for LFR, 5-mans, soloing, dailies, random pvp etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    and the crystal is better (+500 is more than +320) unless you die. it has a 15 minute cooldown.
    sorry my mistake I thought it only increases secondary stats and not intellect as well ;-)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivena View Post
    sorry my mistake I thought it only increases secondary stats and not intellect as well ;-)
    well technically you raised a very good point. it's not very fair on alchemists that this mitigates your +320 profession bonus!

Around 40 kills for the crystal on my main. Then a week later my alt gets it on her first try.

It's worth keeping up the hunt IMO. I don't use it in raids because it is worse than a flask, but everywhere else, yea!

one Warrior who was 'just passing' managed to swoop in and kill him before I even had time to react to the NPC Scan alert sound, and ofc he looted the Crystal first kill.
    Sounds just like me, except that I didn't tell the one I "stole" the crystal from that I got it. Got it first kill, needed Sulik'shor for Glorious, snapped it in front of someone else without knowing that he was there. It is a pretty nifty item and helped me good killing the rares in Vale of Eternal Blossoms.

well technically you raised a very good point. it's not very fair on alchemists that this mitigates your +320 profession bonus!
    Who cares?

Remember:

1)- You can't use this in an RBG or arena. The 320 stat bonus is active there.
    2)- It's not optimal in a raid. The real flask, which includes the 320 stat bonus for an alchemist, is.

10+ Year Old Account
    What bugs me about the crystal is that I can't use it at the same time as my alchemist's flask. Which other profession has to forego the benefits of having that profession in order to apply the crystal buff? That makes the crystal somewhat less appealing, though it's still better than the profession bonus that I'm missing out on if I use it. *grumbles a bit*

Ah well, I'm not using the crystal when I do important stuff anyway.

Had it drop on my pala randomly (i.e. didn't know about it back then) as i made a habit of killing the rares for their chance at a bag. Was on one of the first kills.

As a consequence I'm regularly checking on it with my shadow now, but no such luck yet .

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post
    Who cares?

Remember:

1)- You can't use this in an RBG or arena. The 320 stat bonus is active there.
    2)- It's not optimal in a raid. The real flask, which includes the 320 stat bonus for an alchemist, is.
    I think the amount I care about this is pretty evident when I said 'it's not very fair'. technically that's correct. people use their crystal when doing dailies, heroics, outdoor raids, world PvP. seems like a small oversight that it removes any profession bonus for alchemists. that's all.

It only really works for healers as being as good as a regular flask, as it gives 500 str/agi/int/stam/spi and a regular flask gives you 1000 of one.

If you are a healer its basically half an int flask and half a spi flask, but for everyone else its just half a flask. Tanks kinda also benefit from the half/half, although not nearly as much.

If you are an alchemist you'd also only get the 320 bonus on a regular flask, making it 500 of 1-2 useful stats vs 1320 of your prefered stat.

Goodluck farming it though, being a healer myself I really enjoy it.

Hybrid casters and tanks also double dip.

Deleted
    I'm not even an alchemist, it was just a typical throwaway comment that people overreact to, misunderstand and use to derail the thread.

I hate this forum.