Suggestion for a new rogue

I've decided to make a rogue alt. Me and a few friends have been wanting to run some challenge modes so naturally we could use a rogue. Also, I've been playing a Mage and Feral Druid as my mains since Wrath, and I'm really not enjoying either of these classes anymore due to the changes in MoP. I'm looking for a new main and Rogue's seem interesting.

I've read many posts regarding the state of rogues, and most of them are pretty bad. A great deal of people seem to think that rogues aren't worth the time, and its rare that I see max level rogues running around doing dailies, in LFR, or in my guild. Oddly enough, this only makes me want to level one more. I've always enjoyed playing classes that no one else is playing. I like playing classes that are a little more complex, and it seems like rogues require some work to master.

Here's a little info about the rogue, and my plans with him at max level
    1. I have a full set of heirlooms for the rogue including 2 daggers (Balanced Hearseeker, and Sharpened Scarlet Kris).
    2. I mainly want to PVE (Challenge Modes, LFR, Raids, etc) with him, but I may do some PVP.

I'm really just wanting some suggestions from those who still play rogues.

I've heard Combat is the better leveling spec, but do you think Assassination or Subtlety would be better?

Also, I'm trying to decide on a good profession. I already have a max level alchemist, herbalist, miner, jewelcrafter, enchanter, and tailor. Therefore, I want a profession I don't have yet. I'm thinking either skinning & leatherworking, or engineering paired with something else. Any suggestions on professions?

Thank you for any help or replies you can provide!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix927 View Post
    I've read many posts regarding the state of rogues, and most of them are pretty bad. A great deal of people seem to think that rogues aren't worth the time, and its rare that I see max level rogues running around doing dailies, in LFR, or in my guild. Oddly enough, this only makes me want to level one more. I've always enjoyed playing classes that no one else is playing. I like playing classes that are a little more complex, and it seems like rogues require some work to master.
    Rogues are doing really fine # and balance-wise in PvE at most levels, and are borderline-required for many gold Challenge Modes. That said, I don't think I can agree that current rogues take "work to master" or are "a little more complex." They'd actually go on the list of "easiest" classes to play I'd recommend for a new player who intends to stick to group play (PvE-side; I'm sure rogues still have a high skillcap in PvP). Having brought that disclaimer before you get 90 levels and either love it or feel disappointed, about the leveling process and professions:

If you don't have a 2.6 weapon handy, stick to assassination or subtlety for the first ~80 levels (ambush in Sub should 1-shot the majority of quest mobs, or come very close, in full BoA). With a 2.6, switch to Combat for dungeons or multi-mob pulls, hit blade flurry, and watch your rotation grind to a halt as your DPS shoots upwards. Come ~86/87, assassination pulls farther ahead for single target leveling, combat pulls farther ahead for cleave, and if a quest mob is giving you a problem, only combat has the burst DPS to handle the situation (and more self-healing from Leeching poison). Before that, nothing should really mount a challenge as any spec regardless - deadly momentum provides permanent slice'n'dice/recuperate for all specs. Getting upper-level weapons in this level range is key, and getting outnumbered will kill you faster than most other leveling classes. Learn to use stealth and CC before 85.

Engineering is always fantastic for DPS (and deciding whether to hold the CD for a few seconds or pop it immediately is as complex as anything else a rogue does currently), and leatherworking is plenty strong, if not perfectly ideal. Combat is seeing a breakpoint this tier where haste > agility for gemming, and that applies to professions if you're maxing out your DPS. Skinning is behind, but not so cripplingly far if you're not super-serious about your rogue. Blacksmithing is the current trump for multiple situations if you re-gem often, allowing the choice between gains in agility or secondary stats (better by spec).

Whether or not you play a rogue up to 90 in your hunt for the next fun alt, I hope you have a good experience with it. Regardless, if you level the rogue, definitely give subtlety a try. It has historically felt wildly different, and has greater consequences for making mistakes.

Sub, as mentioned, is great for leveling due to how hard ambush hits with BoA.

Mostly what I want to mention is post 85. Leveling goes pretty smooth until late 87 where things start to hit hard. Nerve strike is an amazing talent for this; open with cheap shot as assassination, then they do 50% less damage. It makes things a lot more manageable than they would be otherwise. There is a BoA dagger that spawns in dread wastes that you should look into as well. You can start using it at 86 and it has a 450 ilvl. Toss a windsong on it and it'll make leveling go a lot faster, as well. Otherwise you're stuck with green daggers for the duration which will make things rough.

As mentioned above, Make sure you learn your CC before 85. It helps a lot in MoP zones.

I have a lot of fun on my rogue in both PvE and PvP, I play assassination in both.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't waste your time.

By far, this is the most frustrating class to play in PvE (and I hear it's not too hot in PvP either). Dailies are painful and slow, dungeons/lfr I'm doing nothing half the time because "not enough energy" times a million.

It's really ridiculous. I have to kill things one (or at most two at a time as combat) while I see other classes multi pull and finish in half the time. On my affliction warlock, I throw up four sets of dots, CC/let the void tank and mobs just melt. Class is trash and extremely gear dependent (to the point where being a fresh or even ilvl463 geared rogue is very painful). I don't know why you'd want one in your raid.

PvP I have no idea about since I don't PvP (another gear dependent exercise in frustration).
    Last edited by Arcanist; 2013-01-21 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanist View Post
    Don't waste your time.

By far, this is the most frustrating class to play in PvE (and I hear it's not too hot in PvP either). Dailies are painful and slow, dungeons/lfr I'm doing nothing half the time because "not enough energy" times a million.

It's really ridiculous. I have to kill things one (or at most two at a time as combat) while I see other classes multi pull and finish in half the time. On my affliction warlock, I throw up four sets of dots, CC/let the void tank and mobs just melt. Class is trash and extremely gear dependent (to the point where being a fresh or even ilvl463 geared rogue is very painful). I don't know why you'd want one in your raid.

PvP I have no idea about since I don't PvP (another gear dependent exercise in frustration).

Cant tell if serious or just crying...

Infracted
    Last edited by Kael; 2013-01-22 at 01:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by inkfist View Post
    Cant tell if serious or just crying...
    Rogue's playstyle is not for everyone, hence why we are the least popular class in the game. We're not super flashy and it takes a certain degree of patience to play a class that likes to sneak around slowly taking down foes one at a time. Most players are just too used to the versatility that other classes offer which rogues can't.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't care about flashiness, I care about effectiveness. I don't think it's unreasonable to request this because I'm not a masochist.

Perhaps this is why they are the least popular class? Relatively ineffective and less versatile. I mean, I DO like some aspects of the class but sadly, those don't outweigh the aspects that frustrate me. Priest/Warlock spoiled me.

i've played several rogues to max lvl and my personal opinion is they lvl alot slower then any other pure dd class or hybrid but thats just my opinion
    the ultimate answer's to all rogue issues :

-Rogues might still be dealing with the changes to combo points {2014}

A lot of mixed reviews here. I'm liking the rogue so far but I'll admit I do feel a little squishy even with a full set of heirlooms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone will have their own opinions about each class, but for Rogues I think it's a love or hate opinion. I've never heard someone say "Yeah, Rogues are cool, I just prefer my Shaman." It's either "OMG I hate Rogues. Their energy is so slow and you just smash the same button," or "Rogues are amazing! They're so cool and I love to gank people, blahblahblah you get the idea." Anyway, I think the class really appeals to very specific crowds; one crowd being immature and, for lack of a better word, jerkish, where they think they can get away with anything and since they were once able to one shot people, they are the almighty kings of the world. Sometimes even the ganking becomes childish. One the other hand, the opposite crowd is the more mature and complex bunch. They see the class for its real potential, and the depth of the combo point system interests them so much, they can't get enough of it.
    In my eyes, using energy and combo points is my favorite thing to do. I don't enjoy the linear style of casters where you just use mana and spam a fireball while weaving in some other instants (not ignoring the fact that Spriests and Warlocks have other resources, just giving a simple example). I just enjoy playing melee classes, and I also love tanking.
    I have been a Rogue since vanilla, and our survival system goes up and down all the time, where some patches or expansions we can be hard to kill, and others we're just like a wet tissue. It's totally fine with me because that gives each class their own set of strengths and weaknesses and you just need to know what your limits are. I am however a serious raider, and the fact that Rogues are squishy, really isn't that big of a deal since we aren't meant to take damage. Any damage we do take is likely also taken by the rest of the raid, and we have our own way to reduce it or avoid it all together. Some fights, sure, I'll get a little frustrated at how I can't compete with the rest of my raid, but that's where I say "I don't need anything off this boss, put in soandso." I voluntarily sit out for 5/6 HoF because I don't need gear and I just know the fights will piss me off.
    I really don't want to go into any more detail, because this thread is about a new Rogue, and I'd like to welcome you with open arms and hope that you enjoy your journey down the amazing path of a Rogue.