Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    You really can't squeeze much more cpu power out of that system (outside of overclocking) with pure gaming. Really all you can do at this point is get an SSD, and get a better video card. On that kind of budget, I imagine you could easily get a 7970 GHz. I really don't think a 7990 or 690 are necessary, nor within your budget. Personally I don't even think a 7970 is necessary, but it ain't my money :P

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    so wait we can spend $890? because we could get you a awesome gtx 680 + 120/128 gb ssd for +- 700-750 (guessing approx prices)
    Then I would starve at school, as I buy lunch everyday..

Gtx 680 is like the best shit atm? And yeah, I was thinking about a 120gb SSD. So I'm getting that next paycheck for sure, then I'll see when I upgrade my GPU (Reeealy tempted to do that aswell :] )
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonslid View Post
    Then I would starve at school, as I buy lunch everyday..

Gtx 680 is like the best shit atm? And yeah, I was thinking about a 120gb SSD. So I'm getting that next paycheck for sure, then I'll see when I upgrade my GPU (Reeealy tempted to do that aswell :] )
    better get the ssd now then. (i personally don't like samsung ones , OCZ rather)
    might be better to put aside some +- 100-150 euro each month so you could buy the best of the best card with the next series of nvidia gpu's due in +- 3/4 months if rumors are correct. (you'd have a gpu to last you about 4 years years of ultra settings unless they come up with a new radical high end gaming engine anytime soon)

better get the ssd now then. (i personally don't like samsung ones , OCZ rather)
    might be better to put aside some +- 100-150 euro each month so you could buy the best of the best card with the next series of nvidia gpu's due in +- 3/4 months if rumors are correct. (you'd have a gpu to last you about 4 years years of ultra settings unless they come up with a new radical high end gaming engine anytime soon)
    Wouldnt be to stupid, as when I start as a tattoo apprentice I will have good as no money in the beginning. So if I get a GPU that last for 4 years that would be kinda good.
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Deleted
    Wouldnt be to stupid, as when I start as a tattoo apprentice I will have good as no money in the beginning. So if I get a GPU that last for 4 years that would be kinda good.
    do note it is a guesstimation since most games will be develloped for the not so special new consoles (ps4/xbox 720 etc which are still lacking in performance when compared to mid range gaming pc's from 2 years ago)
    but yes it is very likely to be a worthwhile long term investment.

do note it is a guesstimation since most games will be develloped for the not so special new consoles (ps4/xbox 720 etc which are still lacking in performance when compared to mid range gaming pc's from 2 years ago)
    but yes it is very likely to be a worthwhile long term investment.
    How long do you think the rig I got now will last on good performance?

Deleted
    How long do you think the rig I got now will last on good performance?
    medium/high settings for most games currently but new pc optimized tittles im putting my money on medium as minimum with perhaps some settings at high. (if that is what you can be happy with then there is no need to upgrade)

also BF3 is for example way more heavy to run maxed out when compared to cod games. (bf3 is actually optimized so pc users can see effects and details of which consoles can only dream, for cod series very few shinies for pc over console sadly)
    perhaps a good question do you like metro/are likely to buy the new metro : last light? (THE pc game jewels currently/soon to be tbh)
    Last edited by mmoce1d4ab16bc; 2013-01-21 at 11:21 AM.

medium/high settings for most games currently but new pc optimized tittles im putting my money on medium as minimum with perhaps some settings at high. (if that is what you can be happy with then there is no need to upgrade)
    I do prefer medium/high, and there been a year since I upgraded my GPU, so I guess its time to do it again Oh how saaad...

Another question;
    I'm getting a real copy of Windows 7 now in the mail (Today or tomorrow), and I honestly got no clue what I need to do.
    Will it delete everything on my HDDs, and thus making me have to reinstall every game? (Not that much of hassle, but good to know so I can Screen shot WoW settings and such.)
    Or will it take the pirated copy and "make it real", with the lack of better wording x] Without deleting anything?

10+ Year Old Account
    What version do you have now, and what version will you be installing?

If they're the same version (i.e. Win7 Pro, and Win7 Pro)... You SHOULD be able to boot from the CD, click Repair, and have it run through the install process to repair. I'm testing this on my VM right now.

Deleted
    I do prefer medium/high, and there been a year since I upgraded my GPU, so I guess its time to do it again Oh how saaad...

Another question;
    I'm getting a real copy of Windows 7 now in the mail (Today or tomorrow), and I honestly got no clue what I need to do.
    Will it delete everything on my HDDs, and thus making me have to reinstall every game? (Not that much of hassle, but good to know so I can Screen shot WoW settings and such.)
    Or will it take the pirated copy and "make it real", with the lack of better wording x] Without deleting anything?
    likely fresh install so you'd lose current data unless you can backup stuff to external/other harddrive.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    What version do you have now, and what version will you be installing?
    Getting a W7 Home Premium 64bit, got a pirated W7 something 32 bit.

---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 12:26 PM ----------

likely fresh install so you'd lose current data unless you can backup stuff to external/other harddrive.
    Yeah I thought so, about time to reboot the machine anyways (If thats the right word..), and clean it up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Getting a W7 Home Premium 64bit, got a pirated W7 something 32 bit.
    Hurk.

You cannot upgrade from a 32bit to a 64bit OS. You will need to format the drive and reinstall, I believe. Also, notably, that may be why you're having WoW problems. 32bit can only use about 3.8gb of ram. Going from what you have now to Win7 64bit and legit will probably make a pretty significant difference.

Hurk.

You cannot upgrade from a 32bit to a 64bit OS. You will need to format the drive and reinstall, I believe. Also, notably, that may be why you're having WoW problems. 32bit can only use about 3.8gb of ram. Going from what you have now to Win7 64bit and legit will probably make a pretty significant difference.
    Yeah thats what I thought aswell, so decided to spend some cash on a real copy and hope it solve that annoying memory error.

Do I need to do anything else than put the disc in and let it do the job? Do I need to manually delete/clean my HDDs first? Never done this before, guess it follows a manuall though ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Do I need to do anything else than put the disc in and let it do the job? Do I need to manually delete/clean my HDDs first? Never done this before, guess it follows a manuall though ^^
    First, back up anything you want. Remember that some games do not back up to the cloud (Steam, as much as I love you, you REALLY need to get a unified save standard). Double, triple, and quadruple check that you have everything saved. Game saves, websites, pictures/movies/music, all that.

Once that's done, it wouldn't hurt to download your motherboard and video cards drivers onto a flash drive or something for Win 7 x64.

From there, pop in the CD, boot from it, click Install. If you only have one drive (it doesn't hurt to unplug your external if you have one, just to be safe), delete the partitions on your main OS drive, and just click 'install' and it will handle the formatting, partitioning, and the reserve partition.

First, back up anything you want. Remember that some games do not back up to the cloud (Steam, as much as I love you, you REALLY need to get a unified save standard). Double, triple, and quadruple check that you have everything saved. Game saves, websites, pictures/movies/music, all that.

Once that's done, it wouldn't hurt to download your motherboard and video cards drivers onto a flash drive or something for Win 7 x64.

From there, pop in the CD, boot from it, click Install. If you only have one drive (it doesn't hurt to unplug your external if you have one, just to be safe), delete the partitions on your main OS drive, and just click 'install' and it will handle the formatting, partitioning, and the reserve partition.
    I got two HDDs, can I copy everything over to the other HDD and then take it out before putting in the W7 disc?
    I also got an external drive somewhere.

But to sum it up:
    Copy everything over to another HDD (Or External driver) I want to keep (Wich is only games)
    Download drivers for Win 7 x64 for MoBo and Video Card, I guess I find these on their websites? I still got the CDs for them though, I'm ocd on stuff like that, and got a shitload of CDs and manuals in case I need them some day.
    Then pop in the CD and wait for it to boot and install it all
    Turn it off and put in the HDD with the game files, and I'm pretty much ready? Dosnt sound to hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's really not difficult. And yeah, I suggest getting them from the websites, since the ones on the CD were likely outdated by the time the CD actually reached you.

You don't HAVE to remove/unplug the other drives. But just be very, very sure about which drive you're formatting. Removing them prevents accidentally clicking on the wrong drive.

Deleted
    Pretty much the same system that I have except for the motherboard.

I'll definitely go for a Ram upgrade. 2x4GB modules and sell the other pair of sticks if you can. The cheapest investment.

Given your RL circumstances I'd personally avoid upgrading everything else. The 6870 isn't a brilliant card by today's standards, but with sacrificed settings, all the games in my steam library play fluidly and they still look great. I was half tempted to dump ~£300 into a new GPU when I started messing around with Skyrim's texture mods. I found it alot cheaper not to mess around with them^^. In short the 6870 is a fine midrange GPU, it's just a shame it can't handle tessellation settings and quality AA settings on modern games.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    thought it was locked like a HXX series.
    in that case get an aftermarket cooler and overclock away the 2500k is really a beast to overclock.
    Yeaaaah. :P I'm on a P8P67 and my 2500K is at 4.6GHz and could go further. :P

Also, I suggest an aftermarket cooler and SSD.

The Corsair H100i is popular, but you may want to wait for the H90 or H110, depending on your budget.

For SSD, I personally suggest either the Samsung 830 or Crucial m4.
    Last edited by DeltrusDisc; 2013-01-21 at 09:29 PM.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Yeah, I got a CPU cooler (Corsair H70 I believe its called), so cooling isnt realy a problem
    And I'll get a new SSD next paycheck, so that is kinda sorted out, but feel free to come with suggestions ;D

@Drudgery - I got 2x4GB RAM (And two more laying in my "computer tool box and parts"), so I dont need more RAM for sure.

Then in the future I'll see if I can afford a good GPU that will last for a few years and I'm set!

Thanks for all the great advices guys, realy appreciate it