User friendly Firewall

Greetings everyone.

My company wishes to upgrade to a more user friendly Firewall from Fortigate

Mostly just need to adjust Ip's as well as create groups to block certain users from facebook/youtube and ect.

I have no idea where to start searching but i trust the wisdom of my fellow Mmo-champion users.

Any suggestions?

15+ Year Old Account
    any corporate firewall will let you use those features. ideally it would be one that integrates with active directory so it blocks users, but not computers, from accessing certain things
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    any corporate firewall will let you use those features. ideally it would be one that integrates with active directory so it blocks users, but not computers, from accessing certain things
    at the corporate level though userfriendlyness is not considered, it's assumed that you have a network technician or sysadmin configuring an enterprise firewall, these are not designed with the average home user in mind

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    at the corporate level though userfriendlyness is not considered, it's assumed that you have a network technician or sysadmin configuring an enterprise firewall, these are not designed with the average home user in mind
    I am the sys admin but my boss wants to be more involved in the firewall.
    And becoz he struggles to find things in our current 1.
    he wants to change it...

Our current 1 serves our purpose and i config it as desired.
    And is secure...

But alas.. this is what i must find out

15+ Year Old Account
    Is your boss in IT? If not, tell him there's no point in him learning the firewall
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure if it's still available but kerio winroute firewall seemed pretty easy back in the day.
    I used it in a home setting before the trial ran out and wasn't going to shell out several hundred dollars for 5 user license.
    It had all the blocking features you could possibly want and plenty of bandwidth management that was really easy to setup.
    It does have active directory and captive portal and pretty much everything else you would need.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinezor View Post
    he wants to change it...

Our current 1 serves our purpose and i config it as desired.
    And is secure...

But alas.. this is what i must find out
    i cringed a bit when reading that

to be blunt, stuff like firewalls are kept technical to prevent dumb people like your boss from being able to use them, it works out as good job security for sysadmins, but i doubt you want to tell your boss that, honestly, i would consider looking for a new job, if your boss wants access to something like a corporate firewall but is unwilling to learn the technical skills to use it properly it's just going to cause a lot of trouble and headache for you

How large of an operation do you have? What specific features do you need? Do you need gigabit (or 10gigE) capability, or is 10/100 fast enough?

Me and my team have pretty much gone exclusively to Cisco. The ASA5000 series will suit any small to medium sized business. Yes, there are console/CLI commands you will need to learn, but they are fantastic devices.

10+ Year Old Account
    he wants to change it...
    Read as: Boss is tired of being blocked from facebook at work due to company standards.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Read as: Boss is tired of being blocked from facebook at work due to company standards.
    He has full access to everything.
    No idea what else he wants to do on it.

---------- Post added 2013-01-22 at 08:21 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BongimusPrime View Post
    How large of an operation do you have? What specific features do you need? Do you need gigabit (or 10gigE) capability, or is 10/100 fast enough?
    Have 53 Users currently and 10/100 has never caused a issue so why bother changing. :P
    I will give Cisco good view.
    Wish i should just show my boss a bunch of flashy lights that dnt do anything and he can button smash as much as he wants.
    (^^_)

---------- Post added 2013-01-22 at 09:00 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    Not sure if it's still available but kerio winroute firewall seemed pretty easy back in the day.
    I will give it a look.
    Thank you :P

15+ Year Old Account
    He has full access to everything.
    No idea what else he wants to do on it.
    this is precisely why you don't give him access to it