Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Deltrus: so how cool does your 690's cooler keep it under gaming load?say, 50-80%?
    Cyanotical: about 80c max under full 120% load

Take that as you will.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Deltrus: so how cool does your 690's cooler keep it under gaming load?say, 50-80%?
    Cyanotical: about 80c max under full 120% load

Take that as you will.
    fair enough , any place to find a good overview of the die sizes on the chips? (thought the gk110 was a larger surface from that pov i was thinking heat wise,
    this however makes no sense since double gk104 chips have a bigger combined surface that needs cooling?)
    still 80c @max load 120% would still have some form of thermal bottlenecking. (loss of KB or -13Mhz on the core iirc or would that work different due to it being a whole new chip?)
    so many questions and details im trying to find but so far no luck

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    80 Celsius isn't that bad for a GPU, at all.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    fair enough , any place to find a good overview of the die sizes on the chips? (thought the gk110 was a larger surface from that pov i was thinking heat wise,
    this however makes no sense since double gk104 chips have a bigger combined surface that needs cooling?)
    still 80c @max load 120% would still have some form of thermal bottlenecking. (loss of KB or -13Mhz on the core iirc or would that work different due to it being a whole new chip?)
    so many questions and details im trying to find but so far no luck
    690s are not GK104s, they are dual GK107s, and each chip gets it's own heatsink:

considering that is the stock heatsink and shroud for the 690, i wouldn't be worried about Nvidia locking down the design of the Titan, if it is on par with the 690, you wouldn't want to change it anyway
    Last edited by Cyanotical; 2013-02-04 at 07:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    690s are not GK104s, they are dual GK107s, and each chip gets it's own heatsink:

considering that is the stock heatsink and shroud for the 690, i wouldn't be worried about Nvidia locking down the design of the Titan, if it is on par with the 690, you wouldn't want to change it anyway
    what the? im pretty sure gk107 is a 384 shader weakling and gtx 690 sports dual gk104. You own two so well, you should know :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    what the? im pretty sure gk107 is a 384 shader weakling and gtx 690 sports dual gk104. You own two so well, you should know :P
    hmm, actually, im looking at it now, compute programs like F@H show them as GK107s, CPU-Z shows them as GK104s

---------- Post added 2013-02-04 at 12:51 AM ----------

GPU-Z is showing GK104, im more willing to go with that than tertiary information in a compute program, but it is weird

I thought the GK107s were the 640-650/650ti cards.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post

what did you want to link?
    still i thought the gk110 chip is bigger area surface wise? (its harder to cool 1 big block compared to two smaller chips or am i inventing new thermopyshics here?)
    while the gtx690 is quite allot better vs other stock ones there is allways room for improvement.

Random Editorial article, nor sure what to make of it.

http://www.techpowerup.com/179750/It...Crosshair.html
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post

I'll be fascinated to see how this ripples in the Microsoft camp. If either one of them sets out to release console + PC based exclusives, it'd be interesting as hell. For example - Halo 5000 being an Xbox 3 & PC exclusive. Either way, it's interesting that Nvidia's pushing so hard for the PC gaming market to be recognised.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    I'll be fascinated to see how this ripples in the Microsoft camp. If either one of them sets out to release console + PC based exclusives, it'd be interesting as hell. For example - Halo 5000 being an Xbox 3 & PC exclusive. Either way, it's interesting that Nvidia's pushing so hard for the PC gaming market to be recognised.
    Given that AMD is supplying the GPU for the PS3 and (I think) also the new Xbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Yes but I'm not sure if releasing a $900 GPU is the best move for that. The price alone would be a huge counter argument for buying a gaming PC over a console wouldn't it?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

If you want lots and lots of people to buy your stuff, you don't release a single component that costs three times more than the console does.

I don't really see the link between Titan and gaming consoles.

Yes but I'm not sure if releasing a $900 GPU is the best move for that. The price alone would be a huge counter argument for buying a gaming PC over a console wouldn't it?
    I'm seeing it kind of like this:

Stage 1: Make sure they're on point with AMD in all fields - check.
    Stage 2: Have GPU technology that can be used on an industrial level in the fields of cinematography and therefore have 4K under the belt when it's ready - check.
    Stage 3: Release a counter point to Sony's Vita, that is basically a portable PC and a huge opportunity for Microsoft to exploit and come to the handheld marketplace - check.
    Stage 4: Announce a card that 10 ups everything AMD and therefore, Sony can currently offer - check.
    Stage 5: Barter with Microsoft for the exclusive rights to games and push them on your new platforms. - ?
    Stage 6: ???
    Stage 7: Re-release the 600 range at cheap price points and mildly cut down for user accessibility.
    Stage 8: Profit as the company that brought PC gaming home.

Edit: Addendum -

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Given that AMD is supplying the GPU for the PS3 and (I think) also the new Xbox...
    I'm not sure what to believe here, as a lot of rumours have been flying around about the Xbox 3 having an AMD chip, but when the devkit was leaked and officially confirmed back in July last year, it was found to have an unspecified Nvidia GPU, though that could have changed over time. If Nvidia doesn't have a stake in the Xbox 3, then I can only assume that they have something else planned as far as consoles go, the rest still seems like a sound strategy.
    Last edited by Shinzai; 2013-02-04 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Some typos.

Question I plan on upgrading to this card but I am worried about my power supply if it is not enough what would you recommend.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817703036
    i7 3770k @ 4.3 GHz | Cool Master Evo Push/Pull | Asrock z77 Extreme 4 | GTX 680 4GB SLI | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Blue 1TB | CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB| Seasonic X850W | Thermaltake Element V Black Edition| CrossOver 27Q 2560x1440 S-IPS 27" Monitor | Razer DeathStalker |Naga MMO Champion |Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Quote Originally Posted by Seiz View Post
    Question I plan on upgrading to this card but I am worried about my power supply if it is not enough what would you recommend.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817703036
    It is impossible to say right now if it will be enough, it should but we can't know for sure. If you were to upgrade I would say a ~750W Gold rated modular PSU. Seasonic X or Corsair AX.

It is impossible to say right now if it will be enough, it should but we can't know for sure. If you were to upgrade I would say a ~750W Gold rated modular PSU. Seasonic X or Corsair AX.
    Well the AX 750w Gold Corsair is what I am looking at. Want to get it before these hit the streets.
    i7 3770k @ 4.3 GHz | Cool Master Evo Push/Pull | Asrock z77 Extreme 4 | GTX 680 4GB SLI | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Blue 1TB | CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB| Seasonic X850W | Thermaltake Element V Black Edition| CrossOver 27Q 2560x1440 S-IPS 27" Monitor | Razer DeathStalker |Naga MMO Champion |Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Deleted
    mwah it is still very likely to be <300W full load usage. (since the chip operates on 235W in the tesla cards)

Quote Originally Posted by Seiz View Post
    Well the AX 750w Gold Corsair is what I am looking at. Want to get it before these hit the streets.
    I would go for the new 760 is the price difference isn't too big.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

Sony would be absolutely retarded to throw a 900 dollar GPU into their next generation console and expect people to buy a system that costs over a grand and can't be upgraded. But hey, they used the Cell processor and it took them 6 years to catch up to Microsoft because of it. What makes them think that using anything more then a mid range PC level card would be ideal for the profit margin capability of a console? Consumers don't buy consoles to spend absurd amounts of money for hardware that can't be upgraded, Sony should have learned their lesson with a console release price being too high when they released the PS3 at a whopping 600 dollars. And 600 dollars in today's economy is just as hard to justify as it was 7 years ago.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2013-02-04 at 10:45 PM.