Deleted

Returning Player, New Rig, is it enough?

Hey guys,

So after a bit of time away from SWTOR, and failing to be impressed with GW2 i decided I would try TOR again.

I'm curious though if the FPS issues from before are still prevelent in places like Fleet and Illum?

I've got a better rig this time but I dont know much about tech specs so I was hoping some one could tell me how well I can play the game with these specs -

These are on a laptop btw -

Intel Core i7 3517 Processor at 1.9 (Gonna see about overclocking that)

NVIDIA GT 640M 1GB DDR3

8gb DDR3 1600MHz Memory

128GB SSD Hard Drive + 500gb 7200m HDD

Intel HM77 Chipset

Will I still run into the problems my old system had with SWTOR and the horrendous FPS and load times or has something been done about it?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Unfortunately, nothing will solve the horrible load times. The SSD will help, but don’t expect is to offer instant load times like WoW or Dragon Age.

The FPS will depend on your graphics options. My brother runs SWTOR on a low-end llano processor. He keeps the graphics settings at low or very low, but his FPS never dips below 30 and there is no lag when we team up. I’ve got a 2500K with a 680 graphics card, but it still starts to get blocky when it’s on the highest settings in some areas. Start with lowering the shadows and anti-aliasing, and just keep going until the game runs smoothly.

Also, your milage may vary with this next item, but when I tried returning to WoW last fall I loaded all of my add-ons through Curse.com. I found Curse interfering with SWTOR, and encountered the infamous and dreaded Ability Delay for the first time. I’d strongly recommend removing any add-ons for other applications. My SWTOR experience went back to great after doing this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Parrin View Post
    The FPS will depend on your graphics options. My brother runs SWTOR on a low-end llano processor. He keeps the graphics settings at low or very low, but his FPS never dips below 30 and there is no lag when we team up. I’ve got a 2500K with a 680 graphics card, but it still starts to get blocky when it’s on the highest settings in some areas. Start with lowering the shadows and anti-aliasing, and just keep going until the game runs smoothly.
    My experience differs but I didn't try resoltuions beyond full HD or extreme AA/AF settings. With exactly your "NVIDIA GT 640M 1GB DDR3" I had no graphic issues at all when using an SSD, using only a HD resulted in stuttering on fleet, and fleet only. Load times are also okay with SSD and painful without.

Quote Originally Posted by Parrin View Post
    Unfortunately, nothing will solve the horrible load times. The SSD will help, but don’t expect is to offer instant load times like WoW or Dragon Age.
    This ^

Swtor has just too crappy of a system to actually be up to todays standards.

When the game first lauched thought maybe they would get along and release some sort of optimization for the game so it wouldn't be so screwy. Year later and that hasn't happened.

I have never had a running problem with any other game. I play Starcraft 2 on ultra, Skyrim highest settings and get no slowdown or long loading screens.

I don't get much fps issues but loading screens take a ridiculous amount of time, and swtor doesn't only have a few of them....

Before i got my pass to black hole I would have a combined wait of nearly 5-10 minutes sometimes between loading corellia then BH.

This is also an annoying issue since some dumbass at Bioware decided when you die in an instance/FP/ops you will most of the time release OUTSIDE the damn instance just to walk back in giving me 2 lovely long loading screens

Quote Originally Posted by Argroth View Post
    Swtor has just too crappy of a system to actually be up to todays standards.
    So people which run SWTOR on high settings with no lag issues etc. are wrong information?

The real problem with SWTOR is that you can have a high-end computer with lag spikes compared to a low-end computer with much less issues. This was a problem from the very beginning and for some setups (like mine) it doesn't matter if I go ultra high or super low, I still have lag spikes every few seconds, especially in Huttball as people are jumping over bridges/ firetraps etc. and for that, we don't have a solution. I had less problems before 1.4, not sure what exactly they introduced but as the communication level is purely a notice that something has changed (not why or who should benefit from it) it will most likely not change in the near future.

However my loading times for any map are maximum 30 seconds.

Im running Core i5, 8gb ram with NO graphics card except integrated, and I run swtor just fine on standard graphics (not low).

I'd say your rig should work nicely.