Poll: Did you find this Guide Useful?

Quote Originally Posted by Kjinni View Post
    There's definately you're doing wrong, could you describe the fight step by step from your point?
    I agree with this. My attempts where when my Warlocks was 470's ilvl, and manged to get him to 15-20%.

There are videos of players doing it with less than 400 ilvl in 13 minutes without trinkets and some other gear pieces.

The fight is pretty much about timing and how smartly you use your cooldowns. Not really a skill cap, but I'm sure if someone put the time into it, they could make a DBM-extra strictly for that fight that would make it simple. There are hundreds of Youtube How To's/Guides on how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kjinni View Post
    There's definately you're doing wrong, could you describe the fight step by step from your point?
    Sure, here's what i do.

I start the fight, set up my gate and circle beforehand. The circle goes behind the far right pillar and the gate crosses the shaft he stands on when he starts using cataclysm.
    When he just stands idle and leaves me time to attack him, i pop everything i gt, trinkets, herbalism, doomguard and everything, i wait as he is just about to summon the pit lord, so that i can finish my first barrage with a chaos bolt.
    When the pit lord comes, i enslave it, charge kanrethad and spit the fire breath on him, while still throwing shit at him.

Then the weitrd stuff happens. I don't know if this is intended, but his chaos bolts and the 7 minute curse of doom are completely random, leaving me with no time for preparation. I try to los the chaos bolts, which sometimes works, sometimes not. even though i am clearly out of sight, as i can't shoot him either.

Then come the imps. I use the gate so they don't attack me for a while, trying to set up 2 or 3 rains of fire and immolate them all at the same time. Usually they scatter so far across, that i don't manage to get them all, even with the fire breath of my pit lord.
    So sometimes, i have imps during the whole fight.
    Often they still keep attacking me, even though i used soul shatter AND gate.
    I also try to dispel myself at all times, which is also diustracting me quite a bit when i also have to keep an eye on kanrethad AND 50 imps.

Okay so when i manage to kill all the imps and not get shafted by a random hitting chaos bolt he summons the fel guards.
    I tried about 8 different options to position my pit lord (re enslaving it before of course) and draw aggro on me, they still turn to my pit lord and eat the enslavement...
    So yeah, havin a pissed of pit lord, kanrethad an d3 fel hunters on my ass, i don't stand for long and the fight is over.

Deleted
    run to the stairs, kanrethad can't kill you there, not even with Cataclysm

If the felhunters are always breaking your enslave it sounds like you should park your pit lord behind a pillar (out of LOS) and be ready to agro the spawning felhunters. I also had problems with enslave breaking before I learned to park the pit lord properly before the felhunters started spawning.

It sounds like you have problems with the imps also. You don't even need to dps them yourself if you don't want to. It can be done with pit lord aoe. stand behind the gate as the imps spawn, make the pit lord heal you when the imps are shooting at you. That should make the imps target your pit lord. Use the macro to target yourself and cast pet aoe while you stand behind the imp pact. 1-2 pit lord breaths is enough to kill them all but if you are not standing at the gateway when imps spawn they will scatter all over and become hard to kill.
    Last edited by 6kle; 2013-07-27 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    run to the stairs, kanrethad can't kill you there, not even with Cataclysm
    Is that true?

Quote Originally Posted by 6kle View Post
    If the felhunters are always breaking your enslave it sounds like you should park your pit lord behind a pillar (out of LOS) and be ready to agro the spawning felhunters. I also had problems with enslave breaking before I learned to park the pit lord properly before the felhunters started spawning.
    That's what i was trying, it doesn't work for me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Harthmut View Post
    Sure, here's what i do.

Then the weitrd stuff happens. I don't know if this is intended, but his chaos bolts and the 7 minute curse of doom are completely random, leaving me with no time for preparation. I try to los the chaos bolts, which sometimes works, sometimes not. even though i am clearly out of sight, as i can't shoot him either.

Okay so when i manage to kill all the imps and not get shafted by a random hitting chaos bolt he summons the felhunters.
    I tried about 8 different options to position my pit lord (re enslaving it before of course) and draw aggro on me, they still turn to my pit lord and eat the enslavement...
    when you enslave pitlord, use your gateway so he won't chaos bolt you.

I didn't even put my pit lord that far, but just run the other way of where you put it. you only have to worry about re-enslaving at the second pack of fel hunters.

it can act weird sometimes but mostly not tbh (did it on two characters )
    Do you also have the right talents?
    Last edited by mmoc8ea25e0818; 2013-07-27 at 12:33 PM.

Deleted
    Is that true?

yes it is true

I have never seen felhunters break enslave if they didn't have LOS to the pit lord so you must be allowing LOS between one of the felhunters and your pit lord if it's happening.

About the puppies:
    since they always dispelled my pitlord (regardless of LOSing and whatnot), I actually un-enslaved and feared him away, banished the doomlord, and killed the dogs. Re-enslave pitlord, keep 1 doomlord banished, proceed to reward

Because it is the mechanics that you are having trouble with I would suggest that you forget doing any dps to the boss and just focus practicing the mechanics, all that chaos bolt dodging, using pet abilities, killing waves etc. It's easier to learn the mechanics when you are not even trying to kill the boss at the same time.

10+ Year Old Account
    First of all, it´s been a while since i beat him back at the beginning of 5.2 so please don´t take everything i say for 100%.

Preperation:

520ish gear
    Glyph of Ensalve Demon
    Flask of the warm sun
    2-3 Potions of jade serpent
    275 or 300ish bufffood
    Macro the Pitlords flamebreath on your filler spell (incinerate, mg, sb/toc/sf)
    depending on your gear und spec, make sure you have cooldowns rdy for the felhunters

The fight:

As far as i can see, you struggle when the first pack of felhunters arrives, so everything until that point i take is fine for you.
    Make sure you aoe stun the felhunters as soon as they spawn and either flamebreath with your pitlord or park him in the far corner so he does not reach you until all 3 felhunters are down.

pop cooldowns (make sure you have max embers/shards/fury), aoe stun the felhunters, havoc-cb two of them and finish them off, you can fear the third one i guess or just kill him quickly before your pitlords get back at you.

Same works well for the imps-spawns which will increase, aoe-stun, mass-immolate, conflag rof + felbreath from pitlord

As for the doomguards, just banish the first one, make sure you have a timer for re-banishing him, fear the second one if you have not finished the boss before it spawns

Second pack of felhunters goes just like the first one, get your timers straight and make sure you have cooldowns rdy und resources at max.

As for chaosbolts, take the boss in focustarget and let your UI show you his target. If you are targeted by bolt -> l-o-s teleport, else does not matter
    As for cataclysm, either outrange it or have your pitlord charge him in order to interrupt it (i never knew you can outrange it until now)

hope that helps and as i said, it´s been awhile and not everything i did back then might work for you.

greetz

Yune
    Last edited by Yuna; 2013-07-27 at 12:55 PM.

I see your problem, Op.

I have green fire on my ALT. It took me 70+ wipes but I figured it out.

The thing you're doing wrong is, you don't actually have to have the pit lord break LoS with the fel hunters. What I did, I moved him decidedly to the left side of the portal (I.E. not behind a pillar, right in range of me). I then ran to the opposite side of the portal (so they would face me, not the pit lord) spammed RoF on the portal, so the three puppies would run straight for me. So long as they never FACE your pit lord, they will not eat your enslave.

you have an extremely limited amount of time before he casts a deadly chaos bolt and forces you to circle to the pillar to live. If you have to do this, the puppies WILL eat your enslave. So, how to beat the puppies then?

While RoF is going, tag the first puppy with Havoc, then target the second puppy. keep RoF going on the portal, and as soon as the third dog gets aggro on you and moves to you, start a chaos bolt at the second dog. Just as the cast is halfway ish done, make your pit lord charge him. The charge is a PBAoE so it affects all three, multiplying the damage they take, and your chaos bolt should in theory one shot both of them. Then you hit double conflag + backlash'd incinerate to blow up puppy three. About this time, you will need to LoS the chaos bolt so get ready to blink (and get pitty back on Kanrethad).

Likewise, with the imps, knowing pit lord's charge is a point blank aoe can really help. When the imps are spawning, pitty should be on Kanrethad, and thus facing the imps. Drop RoF of course but stand behind Kanrethad so they group up fairly nicely. The instant he finishes casting imps, charge him with pitty and hit his fire breath. ALL the imps should almost instantly die.

Now that you know the secret to those two phases, doom lord time. As he goes to summon the doom lord (which will be shortly after you charge him to stop a cataclysm) you need to dismiss your pit lord and re-enslave him. The reason is this buys you another five minutes (around this time you're starting to run low on enslave time) and you NEED to have pitty active to pick up aggro on the doom lord. Take your gate, soul shatter, and put pitty on the doom lord fulltime for a little bit just to be safe. Then return pitty to Kanrethad and resume.

Imps again, charge+firebreath as soon as the cast ends. LoS chaos bolts as usual, etc. Cleanse curses as often as you can with sacrificed imp cleanse+unbound will UBW specifically for getting rid of all debuffs as the dogs spawn. You can and will die if you have the annoying curse (annoying imp/voidzone) So what you do is cleanse as often as you can using imp cleanse (and have a macro so pitty targets you and breathes), but hold unbound will for the dogs. That way you can decurse EVERYTHING just as they spawn and blow them up in peace.

Then it's just pitlord number two (get pitty to pick them up) around nowish you'll likely need a purification potion so drink that and get another 7 minutes. Then it's imps baby baby until he dies. Don't let the burn phase fool you, i died once having him that far just because I ignored imp damage and got overwhelmed. Around this point he should be nearing 20%, pop dark soul and spam executes fueled by RoF spam on imps. Don't forget to keep LoSing the chaos bolts.

finally dont forget to refresh demonic circle everytime you use it just in case - if you forget to you'll sorely miss it when you chew on a chaos bolt.

Any other questions?

Take a couple hours break from attempts, and read every page of the couple threads on him. There is a ton of good info in there. There is only a small bit of variation in how this fight goes, and those variations happen within fairly narrowly-defined parameters, even though it does push the limits of npc ai (is there any other mob in the game that fake casts?)

Anyway, I've never seen the imps scatter ... I had my PL breath macro set to target me, so I stood right in front of them. Immo, RoF, PL breath, and that took care of them. Maybe I'd have to drop a 2nd RoF. I actually liked if a small handful didn't die immediately, so I could get more embers from keeping RoF on them.

Pups -- it's not about LoS; it's about them facing the Pitlord and not having full aggro on you. Doesn't matter where the PL is, as long as you and it are on opposite sides of the gate. Keep RoF on the gate as they're spawning. Snatch up first one with a Conflag, then slap a Havoc on it. About now the 2nd one should spawn ... have PL charge + breath weapon, while you Chaos Bolt it. This should kill it and the 1st one, or at worst a 2nd conflag will take care of the 2nd one. If you time things right you'd have time for that 2nd Conflag to hit while it's still debuffed from the charge. 3rd one is easy to deal with even if it dispels enslave, but if you're keeping RoF down when you can and snatch up the 3rd one with a fel flame (or Conflag if it's back), it shouldn't enslave. Shadowfury as it spawns if you need to, or save it in case it dispels enslave.

Save your first soulshatter for right before pups come out. Make sure your PL is melee-ing Kanrethad in addition to using Breath weapon. Try to save the breath weapon for right after a charge for the extra damage/threat. If you can't reliably LoS the Chaos Bolts, don't even try to. Do what you can rely on. I used Sacrificial Pact for most CBs -- that + Soul Leech shield and the CB damage isn't even noticeable. After your first soulshater, use it on cd. That should keep Kanrethad on the PL.

Make sure you're watching the debuffs he puts on you, and the Rain of Fire he puts up. Use Pitlord breath if you have to, use Unbound Will when you need to.

Take it phase by phase. Again, only small variance. Decide to get Imp phase perfectly, focus on nothing else. Then when you have it down, work on pups phase. 3rd summon phase is easy -- just have Pitlord tank the add (I think this might be the point at which you need to re-enslave beforehand ? Can't remember when that is.)

Then it's just a matter of doing what you just did one more time.

If he's not at least in execute range by 3rd set of imps, you'll need to work on maximizing damage -- figuring out exactly how many times you can charge between each add phase while being able to interrupt each Cataclysm. IIRC you can do it twice before each Cata, but I'm not 100% sure on that. You can fit in three Chaos bolts per charge ... start to CB, charge right before it casts, then CB twice more in that same window.

But most importantly, take breaks if it starts to get too frustrating. Take a whole day off if you have to. Grab some more gear. But frustration breeds mistakes, and mistakes make it hard to work on that incremental progress.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Just because you raided in classic or tbc doesn't make you a good player, content was easy, only "hard" part was grinding the stupid gear to beat the bosses(as in, survive with resist gear). Even today's LFR bosses are harder mechanic-wise.

The boss is not meant to be "stand still DPS nuke", you have to use your class abilities; Demonic Portal, Demonic Gateway, Bind Demon(or whatever it is), Shadow Ward and other utility spells.
    Yeah...then you never raided in TBC if you think it was easy. All the shit you see from TBC is compltely and udderly nerfed to hell and all the classes have had there mechanics completely changed. And there were a TON of fight mechanics that were and still are unique. Also the only boss where everyone needed resist gear from was Mother and when your guild had there resist gear they could make money by selling the token things that dropped from T6 trash and it made trash worth dealing with. Go and LOOK at videos from the TBC raids and see all the shit you have to do then tell me its "stand still and nuke" or "easy". Hell, even the trash from TBC is way "harder" then the trash of today.
    Last edited by Xires; 2013-07-27 at 01:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    i'll do it for you, i did it in 502 gear in roughly 15 attempts. not really that bad. if you want i could walk you through it or something, let me know!

Account sharing is against the ToU
    Last edited by Nicola; 2013-07-27 at 07:12 PM.

I have to say im amused that you listed some of the harder end bosses as some sort of 'proof' you must be a good player or know what you're talking about.

All it sounded like to me was that you've been carried throughout your WoW career since Vanilla days by better players and better raid groups/guilds than what you are skilled wise as a player. It should be pretty clear that after as many wipes as you've had you're simply not doing it right. If you're not doing it right then... continuing to not do it right suddenly wont mean 1000 wrongs suddenly make a right.

Fel hunters must never face the pit lord within a full 180 degree frontal cone. Its really as simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuni View Post
    This boss demands everything from you, You can't be SLOW and you have to know all your spells I'm sorry but if you can't beat it warlock is just not for you . I've seen players defeating it with PVP gear so it's doable.
    Yes, because mastery of a pet and mechanics YOU WILL NEVER SEE OUTSIDE OF THIS ONE ENCOUNTER is indicative of the warlock class.

Deleted
    I found that puppies were eating my enslave when karethad was aggroed to me. I'm not sure if this was a bug or not but in the end what I did was to pop soul shatter AS he starts to summon the pups. make sure you are at the opposite side of the portal to your PL, RoF the portal havoc chaos bolt the first two (this should leave them both under 20%) then shadow burn them both, leaving you with at least 3 embers for the third doggy. You should be back pedalling the whole time so as to avoid turning the doggys.

The real key to this fight is maintaining aggro on your pitlord. The best way to do this is to make sure you are using your gateway on cooldown and using PL breath on kanrethad on cooldown. I had breath macroed so that it would target me. This way you can cleanse debuffs from yourself and hit kanrethad too (by standing with kan between you and your pitlord). By properly managing aggro you should get almost NO chaos bolts and any you do should be dealt with by popping sacrificial pact, twilight ward and unending resolve (you will take 0 damage). Make sure you are at 100% hp when popping sac pac or your shield will suck. You have a SICK heal (demonic siphon?) from the pitlord so you should never be below 100% health as chaos bolt comes in.

For imps just RoF the portal, F+B immolate and curse of elements, shadowfury stun the imps then position yourself right in front of them and your pitlord just behind you. Then use your fel flame breath and they should melt.
    Last edited by mmocf1f1b25833; 2013-07-27 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuna View Post
    Preperation:

520ish gear
    Just going to say that you don't need this. I managed to do it with 495 (+/- a few), and while I consider myself to be above average, I'm by no means among the best out there. I had about a minute left on the kill-dot when I finally beat him, so there's definitely room for less gear than what I had.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Szarala View Post
    Yes, because mastery of a pet and mechanics YOU WILL NEVER SEE OUTSIDE OF THIS ONE ENCOUNTER is indicative of the warlock class.
    So? It still forces you to use everything in your arsenal to face obscure situations. The real challenge is exactly to deal with stuff you have never dealt with outside the encounter. While saying "warlock is not for you if you can't beat it" might be a bit over the top, by beating this you have the proof that you actually do know how to play the class.

Deleted
    I have another option for you:

Just whisper me your acc data and i will stream the whole process. I will one-shot it for you and you can change your password again. And if somebody wondering why i´m such a nice guy - don´t know but i´m a lilllllllllllllllll bit bored too hell farming hc content atm on wednesday ...

If you want to talk with somebody in Ts3 with detailled infos on your probs and how to manage different problems don´t hesitate to pm me - and fyi, i´ve killed him the 2nd day (40 rare mobs for kill quest to kill - GG) the patch dropped on live servers ...

Greetz

sun

Don't ask people to do something that's against the ToU
    Last edited by Nicola; 2013-07-27 at 07:11 PM.