Poll: Did you find this Guide Useful?

Deleted
    did it as well with a playtime with less then 20h on my warlock on lvl 90 and not having played warlock ever before. i have to say its not really the equip, its the execution and the control of your dispells and enslaving of the pit lord. I say that because i think my DPS suck with about 70-80k with ilvl 506. Had ilvl ~ 506 when i did it. all timeless isle and LFR gear.
    was talking with friends about this and they agreed that this is a very nice quest indeed. its good that its nothing can be outgeared by many people.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is a shame that this fight will get easier as gear increases in strength. I remember doing this with and item level of 467 and man was that painful but was well worth it.

Deleted
    I've watched 15 green fire quest youtube videos, all tutorials.
    I've read this entire thread, 117 pages
    I've talked to people ingame for help with it.
    I've read wowhead tutorials.
    I've actually seen someone do this live and explain it to me.
    I've got 87 wipes.

Will there be a nerf for baddies like me?

Or should I just continue to try do this near impossible quest boss?

Imo I think someone should help me get full heroic SoO gear so I will finally be able to beat this boss and get my damn green fire.

58 wipes, will delete my warlock when I reach 100 wipes.

Let's hope I will make it!!!

EDIT: Made it, total of 65 wipes, when u play same boss this many times you eventually realise there are easier ways of getting things done.
    I focused most on my dps on the boss and dispelling myself from all debuffs, and at the end I finally learned to time the 2nd round of imps as my "last dps burning stage" where boss had enough health for me to do shadowburn and rain of fire to gain more embers to spam even more shadowburns.
    Did that tactic 2 times, had too low dps on first one, but 2nd one got nailed perfectly.

Sidenote; warlock is my alt with 10 days played, my knowledge of warlock didn't exactly help me through it
    Last edited by mmoce30c2c354d; 2013-11-24 at 01:20 AM.

So this Kan is giving me a hardtime right now, feel like I need to upgrade a few things.

So if I leave and comeback do I need to run the entire scenario again or can I start right at Kan again?

The stuff before was just bullshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strafer View Post
    So this Kan is giving me a hardtime right now, feel like I need to upgrade a few things.

So if I leave and comeback do I need to run the entire scenario again or can I start right at Kan again?

The stuff before was just bullshit.
    no if you are in the kan part, the ilvl for this is 481 as one Dev said

They should scale down ilvl or something , doesn't do it justice when you can zerg through it.
    That boss fight is memorable for sure when you do it with all that challenge, and also it makes lock players better at pet management, debuffs, movement etc etc all at the same time. Far too many wank players out there that take warlocks for granted just because they was 'flavor of the expansion.

Also im starting to think the title should only be given to players that did it before the next patch 5.3 or maybe 5.4 and im fully against the special snowflake syndrome but as i said before that fight was memorable, such an acheivment for alot of players doing it with such a low ilvl.

Quote Originally Posted by Suggs View Post
    They should scale down ilvl or something , doesn't do it justice when you can zerg through it.
    That boss fight is memorable for sure when you do it with all that challenge, and also it makes lock players better at pet management, debuffs, movement etc etc all at the same time. Far too many wank players out there that take warlocks for granted just because they was 'flavor of the expansion.

Also im starting to think the title should only be given to players that did it before the next patch 5.3 or maybe 5.4 and im fully against the special snowflake syndrome but as i said before that fight was memorable, such an acheivment for alot of players doing it with such a low ilvl.
    I can't agree more with this, i'm sorry if you're doing it now, but i wasn't playing wow back in the day, and just resubed and played for a month to do the quest, thinking it would give me something in return

Quote Originally Posted by Norvak View Post
    Any idea when they will nerf the drop rate of this book? Still don't have it after countless solo rare kills.
    I know this is an old post, but for anyone still trying to get the drop, keep at it.

Just got mine today after about 50 IoT rare kills. My copy of the tome dropped off of Ku'lai.

I've had my green fire for a bit now...I made sure to do it sub 500 ilvl, because I didn't want it to be too easy. Fun fight if you do it at the proper ilvl (I believe it was tuned/intended for around 490ish ilvl or so). Watching my brother try to do it is entertaining, because his pure RAGE practically mirrored mine.

Though, I hope they tweak this fight in WoD so that it REMAINS kinda difficult, so that a level 100 can't just go in and roflstomp it.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Zharradan View Post
    I can't agree more with this, i'm sorry if you're doing it now, but i wasn't playing wow back in the day, and just resubed and played for a month to do the quest, thinking it would give me something in return
    I am in the same boat, my Wife and I came back to the game earlier this year after a 3 year break.

At this point, I'd just be happy to have green fire.

Update: The first 7 stages of the scenario were such a breeze, I thought taking on Ebonlocke would be cake... I was not prepared.

Nevermind that I know how to properly reforge, enchant and gem my gear.

Nevermind that I think I have great raid awareness and survivability. When I die, I am not the kind of player to sit back and blame the tank or the healer. I acknowledge my mistake and take steps to not let it happen again.

Nevermind that I currently over gear the encounter at ilvl 542. (Mix of Celestial's tier drops, the crafted belt and Timeless quality gear, most with double secondary stats.)

Nevermind that I usually end up in the top 5 on the dps parse.

Successfully completing this encounter is going to require that I completely change THE WAY that I play. Defeating this boss is simply not possible via clicking and it has given me the motivation to improve my game via key binding.
    Last edited by Laerrus; 2014-06-13 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Laerrus View Post
    I am in the same boat, my Wife and I came back to the game earlier this year after a 3 year break.

At this point, I'd just be happy to have green fire.

Update: The first 7 stages of the scenario were such a breeze, I thought taking on Ebonlocke would be cake... I was not prepared.

Nevermind that I know how to properly reforge, enchant and gem my gear.

Nevermind that I think I have great raid awareness and survivability. When I die, I am not the kind of player to sit back and blame the tank or the healer. I acknowledge my mistake and take steps to not let it happen again.

Nevermind that I currently over gear the encounter at ilvl 542. (Mix of Celestial's tier drops, the crafted belt and Timeless quality gear, most with double secondary stats.)

Nevermind that I usually end up in the top 5 on the dps parse.

Successfully completing this encounter is going to require that I completely change THE WAY that I play. Defeating this boss is simply not possible via clicking and it has given me the motivation to improve my game via key binding.
    I had to use my Nagas 12 buttons to their fullest in order to beat him. But once you get used to the keybinds it'll get a lot easier.

That is also what was holding my brother back: he has a Naga just like I do, but he hardly uses the extra buttons so he was clicking too much. By the time he moved his mouse to his teleport button to escape a Chaos Bolt...he would get hit in the face by it.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    The encounter was completed some time last year by a one-armed (so he had to click) player in ~476 ilvl gear. That was before the gateway nerf made the fight (slightly) harder, however.

So you don't necessarily have to switch to keybinding -- it's possible to do this as a clicker -- it'll just make Ebonlocke (and the rest of the game) easier once you get used to your new setup.

I know this is an old post, but for anyone still trying to get the drop, keep at it.

Just got mine today after about 50 IoT rare kills. My copy of the tome dropped off of Ku'lai.
    It was about a year ago when I did mine, but I remember it was somewhere between 20-30 kills for me. Drop rate is estimated at 2%, which would be the exact drop rate as reported in the above quoted post.

Definitely recommend doing the quest at sub 500 ilvl. Really feels rewarding when you get it down at the level it was designed for.

Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    I had to use my Nagas 12 buttons to their fullest in order to beat him. But once you get used to the keybinds it'll get a lot easier.

That is also what was holding my brother back: he has a Naga just like I do, but he hardly uses the extra buttons so he was clicking too much. By the time he moved his mouse to his teleport button to escape a Chaos Bolt...he would get hit in the face by it.
    Thank you for the advice. I unbound my turning keys today and remade them my strafe keys to force myself to get used to running with my mouse again. I used to use my mouse to run years ago but I got lazy sometime back in WoTLK.

I've been thinking about getting a Naga, I am slightly ambidextrous but still right hand dominant. This seems like it would better augment my style of play. Do the buttons on the device share binds with the number keys on the keyboard or can they be assigned separately?

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromelter View Post
    It was about a year ago when I did mine, but I remember it was somewhere between 20-30 kills for me. Drop rate is estimated at 2%, which would be the exact drop rate as reported in the above quoted post.

Definitely recommend doing the quest at sub 500 ilvl. Really feels rewarding when you get it down at the level it was designed for.
    Thank you for the tip. I might have to try that, I have been saving up timeless tokens over on a mule.
    Last edited by Laerrus; 2014-06-13 at 11:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    oK, I´ve trying this fight 1 week with 5 ilvl stats

489= total fail

505= Good but fail

515= great , I killed the boss

545= I ate him, I killed it in 3 mns

- - - Updated - - -

now I wonder what is going to happen to this green fire thing when 6.0 hits, are they going to remove it ? are they going to scale it to 100 level players ?

I've done greenfire for more than a handful of friends clicking through it. First time I did it was 505 ilvl (I know, not 490 or anything) and clicking was NOT the reason I failed. The reason for failures was 1. Finding out about imps, 2. Finding out about chaos bolt, and then 3-7 learning and failing fel hounds.

If people are struggling because they are clicking and can do it keybinding good for you, but it's certainly more than possible while clicking and the only hindrance caused is a minor dps one. Mechanically any fails are on you as a player, not your playstyle.

If you could explain what you struggle with as a clicker I could explain how I handled it, but I'm at a loss to what really causes issues. Everything on the fight has plenty of warning and it's just mistakes that cause deaths.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Vacashamanica View Post
    now I wonder what is going to happen to this green fire thing when 6.0 hits, are they going to remove it ? are they going to scale it to 100 level players ?
    If you did it before 6.0, you'll get a special title. Other than that nothing will change.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    If you did it before 6.0, you'll get a special title. Other than that nothing will change.
    it will be nice that they re-make it for the 100 lvl with a purple effect now .

Quote Originally Posted by Vacashamanica View Post
    it will be nice that they re-make it for the 100 lvl with a purple effect now .
    I think they'll give something special to another class next.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    I think they'll give something special to another class next.
    Red or orange lightning for shamans would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    I've done greenfire for more than a handful of friends clicking through it. First time I did it was 505 ilvl (I know, not 490 or anything) and clicking was NOT the reason I failed. The reason for failures was 1. Finding out about imps, 2. Finding out about chaos bolt, and then 3-7 learning and failing fel hounds.

If people are struggling because they are clicking and can do it keybinding good for you, but it's certainly more than possible while clicking and the only hindrance caused is a minor dps one. Mechanically any fails are on you as a player, not your playstyle.

If you could explain what you struggle with as a clicker I could explain how I handled it, but I'm at a loss to what really causes issues. Everything on the fight has plenty of warning and it's just mistakes that cause deaths.
    I realized my style is akin to what I used to use on console gaming, movement dominant on the left and action dominant on the right. Much of the difficulty I am having is in paying more attention to what I am clicking with my mouse rather than looking to see what the boss is doing, this is what is killing my awareness on this fight. I didn't have so much of an issue with this on other high awareness fights such as pre-nerf Lady Vashj and Lich King back in WoTLK, but then again those were not solo efforts.

Great news is that my Wife got me a Razer Naga expert for Father's Day. I think this might be what I need to continue my style of play, but allow me to focus my attention where it really matters.