Poll: Did you find this Guide Useful?

Page 28 of 119 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have finally found the tome after well over 80 rares.

While I'm certainly giddy about it, I'm prepared to have my backside demolished by Kanrethad as I'm a PvP Warlock in 474 iLvl gear, and if it proves impossible, I'll have to accept my fate and wait for the encounter to be nerfed, as my iLvl will only go as high as 476 in full Malevolent.

I simply refuse to do Throne of Thunder LFR just to be able to clear this. This should be a scenario completable by any decent Warlock, even those who dedicate themselves to PvP.

Could a 472 lock even kill Kanrethad?

My Warlock is only ilvl 472, but I made it through the previous boss and mobs without any real hiccups. I would have assumed that previous experience would be at least somewhat indicative of the final boss's difficulty, but thus far, he's absolutely brutal. I've had to set up tons of brand-new, fight-specific macros, and I've still not pushed him past 70% (almost made it through felhunter phase once, but he cast Cataclysm while they were still up -- which seems unfair, imo).

I've spent thousands of gold in repairs, and I'm honestly about to just give it up entirely. I normally thrive on a good challenge, but on top of ridiculous mechanics, I'm thinking I simply don't have the DPS to get this guy down. I'm in a guild that isn't able to down all the normal-raids, so my only source of gear comes from LFR, and we all know how finicky that can be.

I'm trying to stay optimistic, but I'm beginning to wonder if my guy is simply unable to put out the kind of damage necessary to avoid an ass-whoopin'. What do you guys think? Should I just pack it in and give up Warlock'ing for a while? Or is there still hope?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Should I just pack it in and give up Warlock'ing for a while? Or is there still hope?
    Well completely giving up on being a Warlock because of this seems a bit over the top. It seems to be tuned for 500+ ilevel, with people as low as 480-ish managing it through superior play. Going even below that seems to me you'd be pushing the "enrage" of Doom going off, even if you can get past the other mechanics.

I suggest you wait a bit if you are getting too frustrated and just come back another day, perhaps when Blizz has looked at the tuning/mechanics but most likely when you have a bit more gear.

Oh, and next time you have an issue, look for a thread to post your questions/issues in before starting a new one, please.

Quote Originally Posted by epyn View Post
    People have done it in lower by maxing talents, spec glyphs, consumables, etc. If you want to do this as demo, you probably should be 500+ for a reasonable time, otherwise you are losing out because of the lack of a pet overall, and will be having a bit of a hard time on felhounds compared to a similar geared destro toon. The destro part is not hard, it's the other mechanics. What part of the imps phase is killing you? If it's not the chaos bolt, and is just the imps, that is a problem - they only do about 2k a piece so you should be ok unless you have high damage agony on you and it's not getting cleared enough.

Clear those debuffs constantly. Also, you can use charge a third time right as the imps come out for extra damage + safety and it will still be off cooldown when cataclysm needs interrupt. Don't forget to use the pit lords heal if you get low.
    Thank you for the reply. Basically i can get him down to about 27 mil when he spawns the first imp wave (without popping DOomguard, so i think my damage is fine). But the imps spawn and i stand on top of them and use the Pitlords felbreath to dispell me/damage them. Then i try hellfiring them but i guess im not watching the boss at this point and hes getting a chaos bolt off, because a few seconds after ive started hellfiring, BOOM i die.

Quote Originally Posted by Uennie View Post
    I went Destro just for this quest chain, I'm also a Demo lock. Try Destro, you'll probably see a big difference. Also, take breaks. I use a Flask, try for a bit, and when it runs out (or usually before then), I just log and do something else. Granted I don't have a ton of tries under my belt, but I'd imagine it's keeping me from raging out big time.
    Grr see i understand this but...Whenever Demon has been bottom or whenever people have said demon sucks. ive managed to still top the meters. I pride myself on being a rather good demon lock (I'm also a stubborn one..). It just frustrates me that im dieing on a phase that others can pass with ease...
    Last edited by Felfire1; 2013-03-08 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Well completely giving up on being a Warlock because of this seems a bit over the top. It seems to be tuned for 500+ ilevel, with people as low as 480-ish managing it through superior play. Going even below that seems to me you'd be pushing the "enrage" of Doom going off, even if you can get past the other mechanics.

I suggest you wait a bit if you are getting too frustrated and just come back another day, perhaps when Blizz has looked at the tuning/mechanics but most likely when you have a bit more gear.

Oh, and next time you have an issue, look for a thread to post your questions/issues in before starting a new one, please.
    Will do on the posting. Anyways, I supposed I"m just feeling like I've hit kind of a brick-wall, in practically every facet of the game. I apparently suck too much to get into CM's, and nobody wants to go so that I can even get practice in, the LFR is always finicky about loot, I'm not able to get in any normal-mode raids, and now, right on the cusp of something cool, I'm just getting butchered. Plus, I forgot, I can't even access the new LFR without 480 gear, which pretty much *requires* normal-mode raid-drops, right?

Just seems like another hurdle I'm unable to cross >_<

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_2ihpy4eLY

ilvl 486 destruction warlock killed him. It almost looks like rocket science to do so, got to time it all perfectly but hes done it.

I am sure that with give or take ilvl 480 we can do it aswell. Might be a bit harder, but I think it comes down to executing it perfectly.

Study the video and try it out, I sure as hell will do the same thing IF I ever get the god damn tome.
    Draenor EU: Archavious - Level 120 Warlock ; Loaen - Level 120 Demon Hunter ; Arathia - Level 120 Paladin ; Mitosis - Level 110 Priest ; Toreck - Level 110 Hunter ; Aeralinde - Level 110 Mage ; Crikey - Level 110 Warrior

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felfire1 View Post
    Grr see i understand this but...Whenever Demon has been bottom or whenever people have said demon sucks. ive managed to still top the meters. I pride myself on being a rather good demon lock (I'm also a stubborn one..). It just frustrates me that im dieing on a phase that others can pass with ease...
    Same. When people were shitting on me for being Demo I stayed strong and I've put a lot of people to shame, but unfortunately the fight just seems set for it :\ ... I dunno maybe they'll nerf it a little so all specs can do it on the same level.

Any advice on how to kill the imps as affliction? I'm trying RoF but it doesn't seem to be sufficient. Not too concerned so far. Nuking him down pretty quick and avoiding most of his abilities pretty easily.
    Your comments are duly noted and ignored.
    I punch a hobo every time someone says 'it's not a rotation it's a priority list lol'.

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Sick of those Fel Hounds. I don't know what's less enjoyable; them, or the SimCity queues.

I'd say a soul burn't seed of corruption and having your pitlord do the fel breath on them, you'd get a lot of shards too!

New SoC range sucks ass. Thanks for 'bringing us in line' GC.
    Your comments are duly noted and ignored.
    I punch a hobo every time someone says 'it's not a rotation it's a priority list lol'.

Finally got mine on my 70th kill after soloing Goda, now the fun begins.

The loot bugging is drive me nuts. I have been clicking off the rares I've been farming for 12 hours and loot always manages to bug out and before I can do the "tricks" to get it to open again, another warlock gets it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravon View Post
    The loot bugging is drive me nuts. I have been clicking off the rares I've been farming for 12 hours and loot always manages to bug out and before I can do the "tricks" to get it to open again, another warlock gets it.

I know how you feel...I've never been Valor-Capped all expansion because I'm lazy but I have now thanks to rare spawns. Even knowing that I don't the gear for it yet, I'm still trying to at least get the item first but its been hard haha

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure this isn't doable in Malevolent Gladiator gear. Even though I'm failing at the Felhound Phase, I'm dealing about 10% of his health over 1 minute. As the curse lasts 7 minutes, it means I simply do not have enough time to get them down. That and my damage isn't high enough to get those Felhounds down before they start harassing me too hard. I guess I'll wait for a nerf. Such is the life of PvPers.

Deleted
    Had about 20-25 tries yesterday, then i noticed i was fucking up major on the chaos bolts, guess gateway LoSing is the way to go here.

So tonight, im gonna blaze up, hit the energy cans, and stay at it till one of us dies.

Also a question, i saw a vid where the lock didnt put the pitlord at the back of the room but just charged the puppies and breathed them, is this to put his skill on cd's so he doesnt wtf bbq you? Or should i keep trying to position him in the far back of the room before they spawn?

Herald of the Titans PickleballAce's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just got my tome....YAY!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aevitas View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_2ihpy4eLY

ilvl 486 destruction warlock killed him. It almost looks like rocket science to do so, got to time it all perfectly but hes done it.

I am sure that with give or take ilvl 480 we can do it aswell. Might be a bit harder, but I think it comes down to executing it perfectly.

Study the video and try it out, I sure as hell will do the same thing IF I ever get the god damn tome.
    I do want to point out that he actually wiped because Curse of Ultimate Doom went off during the scripted phase at the end. The encounter bugged and didn't properly reset, so he wasn't technically able to complete the scenario or quest, but it did allow him to absorb the chaotic energy from Kanrethad to corrupt his spells.

If he'd had chugged a Purification Potion he probably could've completed it as intended.

10+ Year Old Account
    To anyone having DPS issues, this was the KEY that made the fight for me, after endless pointless wipes wondering why, in 500+ gear, I was barely ahead of the enrage: the charge increases enemy damage taken 100% for the duration of the stun. Lob 2 chaos bolts in that, and you're getting an extra million damage or two for having aligned your CBs into the charge-stun timer. Trivialized the last serious issue I was having with this encounter, and he died as the second round of imps tried to attack me; went from ~88k DPS to 135-145k by attempt. You can snip 3 of those charges into the boss and still have time to charge for the first actual cataclysm cast, after the imps (unless they hotfix it and he actually CASTS his first cataclysm; then you'd only get 2). This should help you push under 80% (or under 70%, with decent gear) before the first imp summon, and really take the edge off the DPS check.

I haven't started the quest yet but i needed to share my joy somewhere. FINALLY!!!!! 3 long, long nights of staying up and farming rares. I stopped counting once i got valor capped for the week how many rares i've killed. It dropped! Now to finally start it<3