Poll: Did you find this Guide Useful?

Page 80 of 119 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    So... get in lfd and lfr to get some gear for starters at least? The lock is obviously not my main.

Edit of shame: Been playing a mage for years.
    Well if you gave ME the choice between banging my head and learning the Kanrethad encounter, but not getting any closer to better gear to help me OR stick that same amount of time in running dungeons/scenarios/LFR and get better gear, but not getting experience in the fight, I'd choose the second option. It's easier to learn a fight when you can get some decent damage out to kill the Imps, and more likely, the Felhunters. It's hard to learn when your gear gives you no leeway and every single time you make a mistake you have to start over.

If you are doing it for the challenge then just stop gearing further once you hit 470-475. That's a gear level where you'll still not make the enrage normally and still can't afford any big mistakes, but at least have the damage to get Felhunters down reliably when handled right.

Deleted
    I am aiming exactly for that gear level, been dedicated to gear myself for this fight. I am at I level 464 atm.

The biggest tips I can give to anyone doing this encounter are to make sure you gate as soon as the debuff for it falls off, and to learn the timing for the felhunter phases and position your pitlord BEFORE he even starts to summon them. Those two things helped me the most during my time with the fight.

Do not forget that the pitlord breath can strip you of the DoTs Ebonlocke will place on you. The damage it does to you is not to be ignored but it's worth getting that shit off. The imp is absurdly annoying and the blackholes ruined a few attempts of mine, plus agony can start to hurt pretty bad if you leave it ticking.

Another trick I was using is that if you move your pitlord off to the side when it's tanking a Doomlord, the Doomlord will follow, and be out of the fight until you die or Kanrethad does. This is useful because sometimes when you're doing imps and AoEing them down, if the Doomlords are close you can pull them off your pitlord and get screwed by doombolts.

When it comes to the puppies, I didn't have to use any pitlord abilities on them, but this DOES make killing them slower. I found that risking them eating enslave wasn't worth it, and just kept my finger over my charge macro for Kanrethad. Save Dark Soul for them, havoc one, chaos bolt another, RoF and shadowfury and focus them down. Don't be afraid to ember tap, sacrificial pact or anything to get em down, they're pretty annoying.

As has been said by many other people who have successfully done this, Kanrethad summoning the Doomlord is THE greatest opportunity to re-enslave your pitlord. Seriously, it doesn't get better than that, do it then. Do it for both Doomlord summons, but make sure you put the pitlord back on them.

Using the fel flame breath all the time doesn't hurt either, as it does pretty decent damage. Just keybind it somewhere accessible and hit it on cooldown. Run into it if you have debuffs. The pitlord also positions itself in a pretty prime spot to nuke the imps when they come out as well.

As far as demonic portal goes, I found myself not really needing it ever. With careful gate moderation, you'll avoid any and all chaos bolts, so there's no need to LoS anything. I actually had my portal on top of my gate so I could gate as soon as I could. If you DO wind up with him casting a chaos bolt at your face, all you need to do is twilight ward + sacrificial pact. If you're at decently high health you will survive it.

When the fight starts getting to an end, remember that your pitlord has been eating a TON of damage, and it CAN die. Glyphed health funnel is your friend in this situation. On that note, remember your pitlord can heal you for a great amount, don't forget it.
    Last edited by Deadfall; 2013-04-13 at 12:11 AM.

Deleted
    I have not tried it but this may in useful for the imp phase.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=88583

It's good aoe.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananarepublic View Post

It's good aoe.
    The imps aren't really a problem. Best off using a normal trinket, to boost your damage on stuff that can be a problem, namely the Felhunters.

It's good aoe.
    Really don't think that would be worth dispensing with a higher ilvl trink, if you have any dungeon or raid trinks.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Deleted
    Meh you are right.

Only need to replace bracers and trinkets. I just got done with the pvp rings and got them both.

Once I have replaced bracers and trinkets I am off to try until I die.

Thank god for world boss loot.

10+ Year Old Account

It's good aoe.
    Or even better: http://www.wowdb.com/items/77589-g91-landshark No need to wear a crappy trinket then, just makes you forego the use of a potion. Easily gotten from Blingtron or your local friendly Engineer.

But to be honest, if you are looking to do this fight on low ilevel, then the Imps are an important source of embers, and wasting the chance to use the imps fully by killing them too quickly will mean you are lowering your DPS potential by a lot. The trick is to use the imps for more Chaos Bolts on Kanrethad, while not dying to them and ending up on full embers for the Felhunter phase. Crappy leveling trinkets with a 3 minute cooldown won't help you much in this. I'd prefer DMF trinket + Enigneer trinket with raw stats, if you are still gearing up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Or even better: http://www.wowdb.com/items/77589-g91-landshark No need to wear a crappy trinket then, just makes you forego the use of a potion. Easily gotten from Blingtron or your local friendly Engineer.

But to be honest, if you are looking to do this fight on low ilevel, then the Imps are an important source of embers, and wasting the chance to use the imps fully by killing them too quickly will mean you are lowering your DPS potential by a lot. The trick is to use the imps for more Chaos Bolts on Kanrethad, while not dying to them and ending up on full embers for the Felhunter phase. Crappy leveling trinkets with a 3 minute cooldown won't help you much in this. I'd prefer DMF trinket + Enigneer trinket with raw stats, if you are still gearing up.
    Yeah same with the Essence of Order, use Burning Embers you generate by AOEing the adds to constantly heal yourself via Ember tap and/or Chaos Bolt.

Deleted
    Had around 10-15 attempts so far and best was down to around 40%, where I died to Felhunters/Cataclysm.

Must say, most of the fight is pretty easy, just that the Felhunters can be a huge pain in the backside, causing you to lose the Pit Lord so that you die to either Cataclysm or Chaos Bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadfall View Post
    Definitely will not hurt you at all to get some gear. I did it at 481 and I had to use a purification pot, but only just. So try to get around there and then work on it, you'll only really be frustrating yourself before then.
    I'd say that ilvl is the least you should be going in with. I've been trying for the past three hours on my 475 lock and while I have the fight mechanics down, gear is the only thing stopping me. Specifically being unable to one-shot the fel hunters (or bring them low enough to shadowburn).

EDIT: Just beat him

Like a nawb I wasn't using Dark Soul for the chaos bolts on the two fel hunters. After doing that it was easy.
    Last edited by UnknownSoldier; 2013-04-13 at 04:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    See, at that rate, I'd rather have the potion. But I'd suggest forking over some JP for a Shado-Pan Dragon Gun over that trinket. 90k cone effect (180k with Charge debuff) on a 1min cooldown to melt the imps with.
    Last edited by Lumineus; 2013-04-13 at 09:23 AM.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

Deleted
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=27900

Could be useful if you don't want to use the gateway for some reason. :P

Sadly that only reduces threat by a fixed amount, and an absurdly low amount at that. It was kind of a joke back when it was a current item, even if it was quasi-useful for Ret Paladins because of how borked their threat was.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

Deleted
    Okay, I've spent ages on this boss. Couldn't get past the last felhunter phase. I panic and die. But I've just gone there to show a friend (irl) the boss... I've ended up actually KILLING the boss and oh my god. I can't even put it to words! I'm so happy right now! I wasn't even expecting to kill the damn thing! AHHHH! -dance- Hope they don't nerf him!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumineus View Post
    Sadly that only reduces threat by a fixed amount, and an absurdly low amount at that. It was kind of a joke back when it was a current item, even if it was quasi-useful for Ret Paladins because of how borked their threat was.
    Oh really? Well that sucks.

---------- Post added 2013-04-13 at 02:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Naiomie View Post
    Okay, I've spent ages on this boss. Couldn't get past the last felhunter phase. I panic and die. But I've just gone there to show a friend (irl) the boss... I've ended up actually KILLING the boss and oh my god. I can't even put it to words! I'm so happy right now! I wasn't even expecting to kill the damn thing! AHHHH! -dance- Hope they don't nerf him!
    At what ilevel did you do it?

GRATS ON THE GREEN!!!

Unfortunately I'm almost certain they'll nerf the fight. Too many people want it for free or don't want to work for something that's worth it. Personally I'd like to see them actually scale UP the encounter with expacs. Make it something you have to fight for no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadfall View Post
    Unfortunately I'm almost certain they'll nerf the fight. Too many people want it for free or don't want to work for something that's worth it. Personally I'd like to see them actually scale UP the encounter with expacs. Make it something you have to fight for no matter what.
    They won't nerf it as if you play since 5.2 you should already be around 490-500+ just with LFR and valor points, if you have 5.2 normal/hc raid gear the encounter is even easier, and as time goes on people get even better gear making this Encounter a complete joke like Zinnin showed, they could have used challange mode mechanic but they didn't :\
    Remember this fight was definitely designed to be done in these 7minutes without removing the debuff with a potion, which is at around ilvl 495-500 which you can easily achive now.
    Last edited by Yuyuli; 2013-04-14 at 01:02 AM.

Kinda wish they'd give you a FoS for completing it before 5.3. Haven't felt so good about completing something in WoW since I took down Captain Skyshatter (may he forever rot in his own personal corner of hell).

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oerba Yun Fang View Post
    Either way, I personally would rather have him tanking the boss off in a corner so I can deal with the Felhunters on their own. Even without the boss attacking me during that phase, I had the felhunters kill me a few times - they can hit pretty hard. Plus, it takes having to worry about Chaos Bolt out of the equation if Kanrethad is attacking the Pit Lord. That alone can give you a few extra precious seconds to kill the Felhunters before Cataclysm happens.
    You know what the weirdest issue about this fight was? I couldn't get my Pit Lord to do this. Any time I clicked "Move To" to send him away, I got a red "x" icon, like he couldn't "Move To" places more than 20 yards from where he was. Pardon the newbie question, but ... is that behavior anywhere close to normal? I thought you could order a pet to "Move To" anyplace to which it had a path.

I wound up coming back with a few item upgrades and burning Felhunters down (what I did is in a prior reply).
    The plural of anecdote is not "data". It's "Bayesian inference".