Poll: Did you find this Guide Useful?

Page 46 of 119 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 6kle View Post
    I was doing Kanrethad with my crap pvp gear and Demonology spec. (I know destro would be easier). I guess it doesn't help to have your toon geared with tons of resilience and pvp power either.

I can do the all the waves fine though. I've can get there with 2 doomguards up, but dps on boss is just so bad when you have to save cooldowns to get felhunters down. Unfortunately he does keep spawning imp waves even after two doomguards are up. I just got tired of dragging the fight for ages with crap dps. By the way, I didn't bother to CC the doomguards, you can just tank them with your Pit Lord.
    You could wait with sacrificing your demon till 2 sec before the pit lord comes, should be some extra dps.
    Also are you prepotting/potting/flasking/food?

You can use charge a few times before Cataclysm (first one is fake, use it on the first chaos bolt)
    Tho doing this as destro will probaly be easier

Felhunters were not so bad when done like this:

1) Avoid Chaos Bolts (with LOS) to save sac pact for felhunters

2) After killing imps move your Pit Lord behind the pillar right of Kanrethad's portal, out of felhunter LOS. Move him well before Kanrethad summons felhunters because he is really slow. Make him heal and dispell you to be ready for those dogs.

3) Wait for felhunters at their portal, they appear one after another at like ~2 second intervals. Hit each quickly once (fel flame or w/e) to get agro. Run with the dogs behind the pillar left of Kanrethad's portal to stay out of LOS for Pit Lord and Kanrethad's Chaos Bolts. Pop sacrificial pact and simply stand there doing full dps with aoe and single target nukes. Don't forget to call your Pit Lord back after they are dead to get ready for Cataclysm.
    Last edited by 6kle; 2013-03-12 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryana View Post
    Just place your pit lord BEHIND the demonic gateway that Kan comes out, Put a RoF on top of the Gateway, the felhunter will aggro on you and never look back to dispell your pit lord. (You can now stand within the 10 yds range for the breath, dispell in time)
    Dont forget to reenslave him somewhere at a safe point.
    What I'd been trying is having myself behind the portal and my Pitlord in front -- I think either way would work as long as I get / keep aggro on the pups ... sometimes they dispel him not for a few seconds, sometimes not for several seconds ... I must just not be getting aggro on 2nd/3rd ones immediately. Probably letting RoF fade between summons.

I think what I'll try next time is keep RoF on the portal (me and Pitlord on opposite sides) and keep the first one's attention until just before the 2nd one spawns, Havoc first one, have Pitlord charge/stun + breath weapon the first two, two Conflags or a Chaos Bolt should then take care of them both with Havoc ... then it's just a matter of figuring out how to keep RoF down so 3rd one is on me and not facing Pitlord (as in between which casts to re-RoF) ...

Man, if I can survive that consistently I should be able to time the Cataclysms so I can maximize charge/stun uptime enough to burn him down ... think I'll try having my Pitlord tank the Doomlord instead of banishing it ... I've yet to pop my Doomguard on this, so if I can get him to around execute range by around the 2nd imp phase, five or six shadowburns while he's stunned should do the trick ...

I'm feeling pretty pumped about the next time I have some time for attempts. Haha would like to before maintenance but I gotta get up early to get ready to head out of town ...
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrispotter View Post
    Agreed. Would like to see the item having more chance to drop, depending on your ToT progress. Sick of seeing all the LFR heroes getitng their green fire on the first 5-10 rare kills while im farming this crap all night and day.
    So it's unfair "LFR heroes" can get the drop and not you but it's fair they can't beat Kan? Double standards much. Course you'll tell me it's cause one shows your awesome skill and the other is pure luck but the fact is when you're denied something in a relatively arbitrary way it's not fun and that should be the main concern.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

http://www.twitch.tv/dreoras/b/376543861

Kill attempt at 29:50.

Took me roughly 6 tries. Not that hard once you master the tactics ^^

Since its a mechanics fight mostly, and your skill matters more, i would like to see a gear adjustment mechanic. When there are ppl with 485ilvl+ gear able to do it, while 500ilvl+ ppl are crying in forums that it's impossible, I would like to see their faces when the have their gear toned down for this boss (like challenge modes). Even if the effect is cosmetic, even if the fight is challenging, if you have 495ilvl+ gear you should make in eventually. With enough dedication, focus, a big waste of gold in repairs,flasks,pots,food, and some practice, you will eventualy make a good try to down him. It needs patience.Atm I simply want ppl who act spoiled ("omg i have to actually press keybindings"), or ppl expecting everything to be faceroll to get a lesson, and I hope Kanrethad will give it to them. I can understand the frustration (i was too), but ppl with heroic gear, regarding themselves PvErs, can't bother learning the mechanics, simply don't deserve it in my opinion. Undergeared ppl whine less about it...

In the end, regard this fight as a lesson to understand your class better. If you smart enough, you can benefit from this. Otherwise w8 to get it when its free.
    Last edited by pitakos; 2013-03-12 at 08:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryana View Post
    You could wait with sacrificing your demon till 2 sec before the pit lord comes, should be some extra dps.
    Also are you prepotting/potting/flasking/food?

You can use charge a few times before Cataclysm (first one is fake, use it on the first chaos bolt)
    Tho doing this as destro will probaly be easier
    I didn't bother as I thought my gear is so bad for this fight anyway. Almost all my gems are either pvp power or resilience and I have some blue pieces of pvp gear because I've had a long hiatus. But it was fun learning to deal with the mechanics as demo and getting all the waves killed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pitakos View Post
    In the end, regard this fight as a lesson to understand your class better. If you smart enough, you can benefit from this. Otherwise w8 to get it when its free.
    Not everybody takes this game as seriously as you do. Some people actually play for fun and not as a substitute for rl achievements. I don't care if I "know my class" and to be honest there's plenty of content in this game that requires you to be a good (or at least decent player) without making this purely cosmetic class quest that's been a long time coming something only the dedicated few can enjoy, you've got stuff like Ra'den for that.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    I've hit a point where I am so infuriated that I want to physically choke somebody at how dumb they've made the skill bar for a cosmetic change.
    I haven't been able to try it because despite me killing 80+ rares and being 2.5k away from exalted with Black Prince, I haven't seen the book drop. Be happy you're that far ahead. There's a lot of things in the game that have cosmetic changes that are rewards to just look cool and show off. 9 Challenge Mode dungeons are exactly like that. This is a neat solo experience along those same veins.

Blue post says its not about dps, it's all mechanics. Take a second to stop dps and keep yourself alive. My gnome warlock is in full 476 pvp gear and I'm very close to doing this fight. I'd even wager stam food and flasks might be better to keep you alive.

I'm ilvl 497 and I've been struggling with this. I've been saving my damage cds for the fel hunters. By the time I get to them the second time I've got nothing left in the tank. I know that Destruction is the easiest spec to do this in but it's my least played spec this expansion and as such I'm getting much further as Affliction. I keep getting him to just under 30% and either lose focus or make a mistake. I really want to beat this challenge but at this point I hate to say, I may just wait for a higher item level.

Quote Originally Posted by Arganis View Post
    So it's unfair "LFR heroes" can get the drop and not you but it's fair they can't beat Kan? Double standards much. Course you'll tell me it's cause one shows your awesome skill and the other is pure luck but the fact is when you're denied something in a relatively arbitrary way it's not fun and that should be the main concern.
    Actually LFR heros can beat the boss if they're good at what they do and know what purification pots are. The fight is entirely about your execution of the mechanics and is probably easily doable under the 479 ilvl that I was doing it with. Now if they fix purification pots this would become a great deal harder for people without decent gear.

As for fel hunter phase there are three spots behind where the portal spawns. Put your portal on the far left one put your pit lord on passive and move him into the far right one right before he begins to summon fel hunters. Take your gateway wherever you put it and drop aggro. Drop a RoF on the portal just before the fel hunters pop out. Start running left towards where your portal is. Pop DS and CB the first fel hunter then havoc the second and CB the third followed by your normal dps rotation to drop them. I like to have a fourth ember at this point to Shadowburn one of them and drop the other two with CBs since I actually couldn't 1 shot them in my gear. Now during this the boss might start casting a CB at you. Remember how you ran left? Yeah take your portal you setup out of LoS or use pact/ward etc. So now that your fel hunters are dead the boss will be doing Cataclysm VERY shortly if your gear isn't too great. Target him and start casting a CB and charge him with the pit lord. Congratulations if you did all of that to the letter you can now kill this boss pretty easily assuming you keep dispels up. They will NEVER devour your enslave if you do this correctly, it isn't random. Do whatever you want with the Doom Lord(s) depending on your gear. I personally just tank them both with my pit lord so that I could ignore that pretty much entirely. Don't forget to refresh your enslave demon at some point when its safe.

Some people also tank it all very close together and just depend on the fel hunters not turning around but I felt like that was too easy to mess up if you stopped paying attention.
    Last edited by Erolian; 2013-03-12 at 10:59 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Arganis View Post
    Not everybody takes this game as seriously as you do. Some people actually play for fun and not as a substitute for rl achievements. I don't care if I "know my class" and to be honest there's plenty of content in this game that requires you to be a good (or at least decent player) without making this purely cosmetic class quest that's been a long time coming something only the dedicated few can enjoy, you've got stuff like Ra'den for that.
    I dont take the game seriously at all.You are the one taking it so seriously raging over something you cant do. Games are supposed to be challenging. There cant be a game were everyone wins.There would be no meaning on playing it. If you want to buy every gear in the game from the shop without any effort, there are plenty private servers with that option.

I beat him last night finally with upgraded pvp elite gear. I wasn't even hit capped but the part I kept getting stuck at was the fel hunters. What I did was when I knew he was about to summon them I ran to one side of his gate and sent my pit lord there and then had
    Port on the other side of his gate. Example (my port) __ (His gateway)__pitlord. After I ported i spammed rain of fire and hit each one to get aggro as they came out an havoc chaos bolt and then stunned and chaos bolted them down. Honestly after that its easy fight. MAKE SURE YOU WATCH DOOM TIMER. I wiped from that when I had him down to 11%. I didn't even bother banishing doomlords I had put lord take aggro and just watched for chaos bolt and nuked him down. I even forgot to summon my doom lord at 20% and still got
    Him down. DON'T GIVE UP AND KEEP TRYING

Deleted
    Downed him 3 days ago, seriously don't hope Blizzard nerfs this because of the lowskilled warlocks QQing. This fight was super challenging and fun, and that feeling when you finally beat the boss.. was amazing. Especially because the fight required skill, not RNG or gear (to a certain extent).

10+ Year Old Account
    Got the book on first rare kill on my warlock alt (affliction spec). Decided to give the questline a try without reading anything on it.
    Here are some of the problematic things I encountered:
    1. Took me good 5 minutes to realise what to do with the guards before first gate during first part of the scenario.
    2. Not having glyph of Eye of Kilrogg sucked a lot @ Reliquary. Managed to get through via multiple gateways.
    3. Took me 5 tries to get Essence of Order down. I still don't get the way affliction is supposed to aoe dps, because all my other characters are melee (paladin, dk, rogue).
    4. Managed to die during 8 minute timer, resulting in 30 minute "grab-everything-I-see" session in Den of Mortal Delights. Ended up with 3k+ gold (don't you love empty bags?) after selling everything.
    5. Did five pulls on the final boss, figured out what to do with Pit Lord but Imps were killing me (again, I suck at aoe as warlock). Interrupting Chaos Bolt + Cataclysm seemed a bit hard aswell if they come straight after another. Is there's something I am missing?
    Anyway, it felt like a good test of skill and understanding mechanics of the class. Unfortunately, I don't enjoy playing casters so I will just put the final part aside for some time and come back later with better gear (had 486 ilvl while attempting it).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Your pretentiousness is cute. Blizzard's is even more so.
    As is your apparently self entitlement, if you can't do the encounter then wait to out gear it or fix your execution - don't go calling people pretentious just because they tell you as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Lethora View Post
    5. Did five pulls on the final boss, figured out what to do with Pit Lord but Imps were killing me (again, I suck at aoe as warlock). Interrupting Chaos Bolt + Cataclysm seemed a bit hard aswell if they come straight after another. Is there's something I am missing?
    Anyway, it felt like a good test of skill and understanding mechanics of the class. Unfortunately, I don't enjoy playing casters so I will just put the final part aside for some time and come back later with better gear (had 486 ilvl while attempting it).
    a) If you're doing it as affliction - get your pitlord to breath on the imps, SB:SOC them once ( might need to throw 1-2 normal SOCs around in low gear), then just wait for the corruption to kill them while you return to the boss. It -might- be worth specing into harvest life if the imps are causing you grief, soul leech is nice but far from mandatory.

b) Cataclysm is always charged by the pitlord to interupt.
    c) Chaos Bolt should always be soaked by sacrificial pact + shadow ward, be aware the boss buffs him with a % dmg increase that makes the bolts hit far harder, your pit lords breath will dispel it. Not a gamebreaker on soulfires, but powered up chaos bolts are brutal.
    d) During the felhunter phases when your pitlord is hiding, the boss may apply the above mentioned buff and cast a chaos bolt, your pitlord probably wont be able to remove his buff - save UR for this CB.

Entire fight usually hinges on the felhunter phase though, learn to position the pitlord and the fights trivial.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinjin View Post
    I'm ilvl 497 and I've been struggling with this. I've been saving my damage cds for the fel hunters. By the time I get to them the second time I've got nothing left in the tank. I know that Destruction is the easiest spec to do this in but it's my least played spec this expansion and as such I'm getting much further as Affliction. I keep getting him to just under 30% and either lose focus or make a mistake. I really want to beat this challenge but at this point I hate to say, I may just wait for a higher item level.
    You an probably do it is aff if its your best spec. Just save shards and cooldowns to blow up the first felpuppy, and the last 2 melt pretty quickly after you regen all shards from the first one. Well, in theory anyway. I had trouble with it in practice, but aff isn't my strongest spec.
    After being Medieve the Uberpally for many years, finally shelved in favor of Belledanna, the Uberlock!!! (patent pending)

-Unretired as of the launch of 6.0! Currently guild shopping. Need a good Warlock? I need a good home!

As is your apparently self entitlement, if you can't do the encounter then wait to out gear it or fix your execution - don't go calling people pretentious just because they tell you as much.
    Love it. Thanks for confirming my theory. You know, I never understood the whole argument about "nerfing raids vs keeping them exclusive," and I've usually not taken a side despite always wondering why people cared if something they had already beaten was changed, but I've realized something about people like yourself. You have now opened my eyes. You don't see those who disagree with you and/or can't do it as worthy, and automatically dismiss any and all talk about changing the mechanic that you or others have beaten into the exact same category, ie: suggesting that anybody who brings up the difficulty or something means they want it be nerfed it into effortlessness. Gotta love fallacies.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2013-03-12 at 01:15 PM.

490 ilvl

I was struggling with the dispells on the pit lord enslave. I was trying every strategy I read on it: move the Pit Lord away, stand behind portal, etc, etc. Eventually, I said screw it and that I wasn't going to run from the dispell. What I would do then is have the Pit Lord charge the first fel hunter that spawned, breathe on it, conflag it dead (sometimes would have to follow with a SB to actually kill it). Then as the next two came out, I would havoc one, shadowfury, chaos bolt and then Fire and Brimstone conflag them dead.