Poll: Did you find this Guide Useful?

Page 50 of 119 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    DOWN! After about 60 or 70 tries, wiped at 10% cause I lost the Pit Lord enslave but the try after I remembered to dismiss/re-enslave after the first felhunters.

Stick to it, you'll manage.
    Draenor EU: Archavious - Level 120 Warlock ; Loaen - Level 120 Demon Hunter ; Arathia - Level 120 Paladin ; Mitosis - Level 110 Priest ; Toreck - Level 110 Hunter ; Aeralinde - Level 110 Mage ; Crikey - Level 110 Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by aevitas View Post
    DOWN! After about 60 or 70 tries, wiped at 10% cause I lost the Pit Lord enslave but the try after I remembered to dismiss/re-enslave after the first felhunters.

Stick to it, you'll manage.
    no, I won't. you don't know how bad I am lol
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Say what you like about the Kanrethad encounter, but the quest is a disgusting, incoherrant, disjointed shambles that makes absolutely no sense. That they masked it with a highly tuned encounter that elitist fanboys would jerk over and call anyone who criticised it 'bad' is a masterclass in deflection.
    Too difficult for you Jess?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    You continue to assume that I'm just dying on the first chaos bolt and then coming on and asking Blizzard to nerf it. Time and time again you pretend that is what I am doing. Where did I EVER ask that at? Could you point it out to me, please? The only thing I've ever even suggested is that they could lower his health slightly and possibly have only 2 Felhunters instead of 3.
    Never have I implied you've failed to the first chaos bolt. Can you point out where I said as much? You're asking literally the only part of the fight that carries ANY difficulty to be nerfed, instead of focusing on what you can do to improve your play by positioning the pitlord correctly or doing enough damage (which people are doing in475 or so ilevel) to beat it.

But, likewise, I'm done with your replies - since all it boils down to is you calling anyone who tells you to improve and beat a perfectly doable encounter a pretentious ass, which while you apparently wouldn't, I would consider antagonising. Never have I claimed to be better than anyone else, 90% of my replies in this thread have been attempting to help other people complete this quest and attain the green fire you seem so hellbent on trying to make me out as some high-horse riding defender of it's exclusivity - which seems completely contradictory to my actions, surely?

You can't sit there in one hand and go "It's not about gear, its about strategy!" and then in the same token go "Yeah its going to be inconsequential with better gear." At least keep your bashing consistent.
    This is also complete tripe, as is your claim that I'm "bashing" anyone.

The encounter is all about mastering 3 things, the boss himself, the imps and the felhunters. Each one requires set tactics.

Depending on your gear, you will get each phase for both a set number of time and a number of itterations.

With high gear and good play, you can see 1 felhunter phase and only 1 doomguard. With lower levels you'll have to deal with 2 of both imps, felhunter and doomguard phases.

It's entirely about the tactics, none of those phases will be beaten without proper execution of tactics and each one will be perfectly doable, regardless of gear, with the correct tactics - as proven by people doing it in the 470 region - with gear levels above 500 you should be able to beat the encounter before, during or shortly after the second felhunter phase, which makes it easier, as will the ability to burn down the imps and felhunters quicker and the higher hp pool to absorb chaos bolts / stray imp attacks.

How that's beyond you is beyond me - it's a staple of raid encounters everywhere, they're usually all about mechanics, but better dps means you have to deal with said mechanics for a shorter duration.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by qu1rex View Post
    Too difficult for you Jess?
    Irrespective of the fact I'm too ill to be trying right now, what bearing does that have on my opinion of the quest itself which I'd formed before I'd even made a single pull of Kanrethad?

Pay some attention to the quest and you'll see what I mean, maybe. You talk to Akama when he 'captures' you, and convince him that because "Hey, Varian says it's cool", that it's cool, even though you never spoke to Varian (And quite what Varian has to do with Akama when during TBC, Varian wasn't even the Alliance faction leader, God only knows). Then you abandon him and his soldiers to their fate while you pillage the den for no other reason than because your Imp thinks it's a good idea; again irrespective of the fact that if those Demons are such a threat to Akama's men, that perhaps they'll be a threat to you and pillages might not be such a smart idea. So, you pillage, and suddenly a wild Kanrethad appears. It is absolute bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Either is entirely possible, but I suppose I would just say the proof is in the pudding; I've proven myself in several different raids, so even if I'm not necessarily a super-awesome player, it's unlikely I would have see so much content when it was relevant if I had been a "bad" player.

I mean, clearly, I'm not playing to the level of others here, as I'm still nowhere near killing him. I've tried literally every strategy I could find, and have probably spent over 40 hours this past week working on him (had a lot of time off), so even if I'm not exceptionally talented, surely I should have seen a kill by now. All I can figure is the fight is simply overtuned, and/or putting ***FAR*** too much emphasis on managing that stupid, stupid Pit Lord! And the Felhunters... ugh.

I just believe this quest is a betrayal of what we were lead to believe a cool, fun quest that anyone could down with a little patience and commitment. Kudos tho those capable of downing him, but as someone who considers himself fairly skilled, extremely hard-headed, and a pretty decent Warlock, I think they've just really set the bar too high. Yes, it's technically possible to defeat him, but unless they allow AI-piloting, or somebody wants to come to my house and play this warlock for me, I've learned that, without a shadow of a doubt, I am literally incapable of defeating this boss.

Now, sure, I know there must be a huge sense of accomplishment from beating him, but that sense of accomplishment isn't suddenly going to make it seem okay. I can tell you for a fact, if the Charger or Dreadsteed quest-lines had been this difficult, nobody would have fond memories of them. For a quest with some smart design and clever mechanics, and genuinely interesting lore, it's just a shame that it need to lie behind a brick-wall that most players will just never overcome, until possibly the next expansion.
    I've always considered myself a good warlock. I've been playing him since vanilla, and while I haven't been raiding lately, I still assumed I had an above average understanding of the warlock class.

Then came Kanrethad.

I tried him a few times the day after I got my tome, then put a lot of time into him the next day, and a lot of time into him the day after that. After two days of wipes and seeing little to no progress I was feeling very crappy. It was killing my enjoyment of the whole game having this quest hanging over me, mocking me everytime I logged in. I knew I was better than this but it just did not seem possible for me to down him. I took a few days off, came back gave it a few more hours and finally managed to kill him. Sure, after killing him I felt redeemed, and didn't feel like a failure of a warlock anymore, but more-so was just the feeling of good riddance.

Everything up to Kanrethad was fine, well balanced and was of little trouble, but then came him and it was this retarded brick wall. I was like a slip-n-slide with a spiked wall at the end.

Personally I would rather see some other aspects of the quest buffed and Kanrethad nerfed some so it isn't such an extreme jump in difficulty.

I fondly remember the dreadsteed quest line, and I fondly remember it being very fun, but I also remember it not being super hard (took 2-3 tries to finally get it down). But this? This quest was supposed to be a fun questline, that just ended up making me hate myself.

I will not look back on this with fond memories.

Deleted
    Irrespective of the fact I'm too ill to be trying right now, what bearing does that have on my opinion of the quest itself which I'd formed before I'd even made a single pull of Kanrethad?

Pay some attention to the quest and you'll see what I mean, maybe. You talk to Akama when he 'captures' you, and convince him that because "Hey, Varian says it's cool", that it's cool, even though you never spoke to Varian (And quite what Varian has to do with Akama when during TBC, Varian wasn't even the Alliance faction leader, God only knows). Then you abandon him and his soldiers to their fate while you pillage the den for no other reason than because your Imp thinks it's a good idea; again irrespective of the fact that if those Demons are such a threat to Akama's men, that perhaps they'll be a threat to you and pillages might not be such a smart idea. So, you pillage, and suddenly a wild Kanrethad appears. It is absolute bullshit.
    A very significant difference, in YOUR opinion, it is too difficult and too overtuned.

I, and many others who either did or didn't struggle with the quest, have succeeded in completing it and much fun was had.

Perhaps you need a little more experience playing your warlock, before calling for something to be nerfed that isn't "too hard" or "poorly designed".

As far as how the quest runs, it's no different from other quests in how they 'don't make sense'. I thought that point was moot when we killed deathwing and are now helping pandarian farmers kill hopping moles.

Deleted
    A very significant difference, in YOUR opinion, it is too difficult and too overtuned.

I, and many others who either did or didn't struggle with the quest, have succeeded in completing it and much fun was had.

Perhaps you need a little more experience playing your warlock, before calling for something to be nerfed that isn't "too hard" or "poorly designed".

As far as how the quest runs, it's no different from other quests in how they 'don't make sense'. I thought that point was moot when we killed deathwing and are now helping pandarian farmers kill hopping moles.
    hopping rabbits

Got him down last night and honestly it was a blast. It is not a gear thing. Manage your Pit Lord's charge, his heal, your threat wipe, and LOSing and you will get it down. I beat him with a choas bolt never going off. Just have to watch vids and find the strat that works for you. The only difficult part is the fel hounds. I simply moved my pit lord out of LOS right before the felhounds spawned. When they spawned, i wiped my threat with my demonic gate so that Kar would go over to my pit lord. Then i would move behind the pillar that is behind his big portal and simply kill the felhounds. Because i was out of LOS of Kar, I never got hit by his chaos bolt while killing the felhounds. Use your charge often, i typically used it right when i tamed the pit lord, again to interrupt the first chaos bolt, and one more time before he started summoning the first set of imps. After that i used charge as soon as he was done channeling the imps and when he was done channeling the big demon guys. I still had charge available for every cataclysm. Keep working at it, find your own strat and soon green fire will be yours.

10+ Year Old Account

Where have I said "overtuned" or requested it be nerfed? You're playing right into the bait to cover up Blizzard's plot holes and really quite poor quest design and well below par storytelling. You may have enjoyed Kanrethad, that's fine and subjective, but it doesn't change that the questline to get there is so nonsensicle that it's broadly pointless - and completely overshadowed by the Kanrethad encounter.

Before I got ill I was seeing sub 10% and felt confident I'd beat it, but now I just don't have the focus or energy to really pass the second Felhunters so there's no point right now in me putting any more attempts in.

I'd also question whether I need more experience with my Warlock (I probably do as Destruction, but since Recount doesn't work I have no idea), but since it's all about Pit Lord management, I don't really see what that has to do with playing Warlock in any other aspect of the game.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2013-03-13 at 01:15 PM.

Deleted
    Where have I said "overtuned" or requested it be nerfed? You're playing right into the bait to cover up Blizzard's plot holes and really quite poor quest design and well below par storytelling. You may have enjoyed Kanrethad, that's fine and subjective, but it doesn't change that the questline to get there is so nonsensicle that it's broadly pointless - and completely overshadowed by the Kanrethad encounter.

Before I got ill I was seeing sub 10% and felt confident I'd beat it, but now I just don't have the focus or energy to really pass the second Felhunters so there's no point right now in me putting any more attempts in.

I'd also question whether I need more experience with my Warlock (I probably do as Destruction, but since Recount doesn't work I have no idea), but since it's all about Pit Lord management, I don't really see what that has to do with playing Warlock in any other aspect of the game.
    Maybe i'm reading between the lines too much then, but I don't see you making posts about pretty much every single quest in this game as being nonsensical... As that's exactly what they all are.

Our characters have fell Old gods, Legions of demons, Scourge, Eachother and yet we have to do some really inane quests which belittle our previous achievements by helping farmers clear rodents from their lands.

If you want to question the substance of the quests, do so across the board.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe i'm reading between the lines too much then, but I don't see you making posts about pretty much every single quest in this game as being nonsensical... As that's exactly what they all are.

Our characters have fell Old gods, Legions of demons, Scourge, Eachother and yet we have to do some really inane quests which belittle our previous achievements by helping farmers clear rodents from their lands.

If you want to question the substance of the quests, do so across the board.
    This is supposed to be a class quest that gives us some class lore and backstory. For a class that's so lacking in any of that other than the "take too much power and goes crazy" stereotypical badguy, and so lacking in presence anywhere else in the game, that actually really interested me. That they gave us yet another stereotype without offering any more background or any more in-game presence or explaination about being amongst the "good guys" is a huge disappointment. It is what it is, a rushed and weak questline that they've successfully hidden behind a "challenging encounter" the forumgoers would love.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2013-03-13 at 01:26 PM.

I agree with jessicka (for once).

ignoring the reward and the boss battle completely, the questline is aweful. it could have been so much more than that. sneak in, lie, sneak in, fight, sneak out, lie, steal, fight again, green fire.

1 - kanrethad's appearance and the fight against him are completely unexplained. at one moment you are just searching for him, and than you want his head? wtf;

2 - the moral choice part of the questline was removed (undoubtedly to speed up the whole deal because we all know the questline was rushed). I'd have helped akama, given the choice. if I wanted to be a petty thief, I'd have rolled a rogue;

3 - as we know, there would be more quests after that in ahn qiraj and the firelands explaining the rest of the new warlock skills and the fate of the other four members of the black harvest. that was scrapped (again, to rush the questline for 5.2). we are left with an unconfortable situation where they introduced six characters for the questline, and we only hear about two of them afterwards. bad storytelling;

4 - the codex of xerrath was a book to open a portal to a destroyed world (xerrath). though it starts the questline, we never got to USE the damn book. you find an invaluable artifact of power, so what do you do? you give it to your trainer and completely forget about it afterwards. it's just not important;

5 - what the hell is the essence of order supposed to be? illidan was a fel user. fel -> chaos. why would he leave a thing of order that attacks with BLUE FIRE behind on top of his personal well of eternity?

the only good points of the questline are the grimoires lore, the reward and, if you are hardcore, the boss battle.

Deleted
    For a class that's so lacking in any of that other than the "take too much power and goes crazy" stereotypical badguy, and so lacking in presence anywhere else in the game, that actually really interested me.
    Who said he's crazy? I think he has the right idea, and I want to be the most powerful, so I kill him and take his power. Simple as.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Agile Emily View Post
    Who said he's crazy? I think he has the right idea, and I want to be the most powerful, so I kill him and take his power. Simple as.
    The fact that he decides he's going to use his power to TAYK OVA DA WERLD!!!! And that Jubeka opts to banish him for eternity kinda suggest he's become the EBUL BAD GUY. It doesn't even make sense, since his whole idea in the first place was the extract the knowledge and share it for all Warlock-kind in the face of the advances others' were making in their respective fields. Such a U-Turn isn't exactly demonstrative of a sound mind.

And as Checking Facts says - One minute we're examining the Reliquary and noting how it doesn't cause the Fel-green Taint, next minute we're killing Kanrethad and buying into Fel-green taint...

Quote Originally Posted by Agile Emily View Post
    Kanrethad Ebonlocke says: You think I've gone too far? There is no such thing. The Black Harvest will enslave the most powerful demons, draw on their power, and destroy all who oppose us, in this world, and on Azeroth! Do YOU mean to stop me, little one?

he is crazy, you think he went to far and you want to save the world.

after being a petty thief and liar.

Sadly this is the majority of the community in WoW nowadays. Every time something happens (fore example our class Chaos Bolt and Chaos Wave), the majority of players will insta logout from game, login to forums and start spammin qq threads and posts. It doesnt matter if they have seen or been suggested that you can avoid it some way, in their mind it is OverPowered and should be removed because they dont have/ cant do it. And this goes for all classes sadly. Wow has become a game of forum rage race, were sadly blizzard will listen the majority of customers.I think blizzard has become immune to subjective arguements nowadays, maybe because they know they have to move on a new game and want to squish as much money as they can from WoW until a new project is released.

To give a minor example. Do you remember the demonology metamorphosis wand bug? Where the melee attack would bug triggering your auto attack messing your touch of chaos spam. That melee/range auto attack was one of the best and most enjoying demo's animation in my opinion. Because of the bug, they prefered to remove the melee attack isntead of fixing it, and buff doom to implement the dmg loss. Ppl then warned them, that this might be dangerous in multidotting situation, as a fight with adds staying alive long , would give a big advantage in matters of dps, while single target (which was crap),would further suffer. 2 months later, they buff single target (mostly) demo dps and release the patch. Unfortunately for them, ToT would show Doom's power in multi dotting situations, with a reason over nerfing Doom. This resulted removing in my opinion one of the greatest animations in the game for nothing. I think this is a fair example to understand that blizzard atm has no specific plan for the game, or just making a sloppy work.

I think this is the result trying to focus on listening on their community, which is right but has many traps. But following the opinion of the majority isn't always right, as far as concerned for a game (I have many examples from other beta games that did that and rushed to release the game only to close their servers some months after), and can always result to a chaos (way more qqing, further imbalances,etc). Honestly i think this is the result of all of this, people raging over something so simple ,while they fail to see they are wrong, or are not subjective in general. I hope they will prove me wrong, but i think Wow will have disasterous results soon, if blizzard keeps messing like that.
    Last edited by pitakos; 2013-03-13 at 02:52 PM.

I have to admit that I don't really play the game for the story lines. I read a lot of great fantasy and wow just doesn't cut it in the story telling department. This should come as news to no one.

The story line of this quest was about par for the course.

It was neat to revisit some older areas and see some older characters.

The fun was in rushing around Thunder Island with friends looking for the book. The story of the Black Harvest was cool. Talking to my Demons and learning their origins was cool.

The fight was a fun puzzle to figure out. I enjoyed it.

I was pleased with myself when I beat him and felt proud. I don't think that is a bad thing. My lock friends that haven't beaten him yet were impressed. I don't think that is a bad thing either. But then again I'm not a D bag and rubbing in peoples faces. I wrote up a guide on my small server to helps peeps and offer encouragement.

I told myself when working on it that if I couldn't do it, I wouldn't get bitter about it. I hope they don't nerf it. It was challenging (for me) and definitely made me a better player.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    Kanrethad Ebonlocke says: You think I've gone too far? There is no such thing. The Black Harvest will enslave the most powerful demons, draw on their power, and destroy all who oppose us, in this world, and on Azeroth! Do YOU mean to stop me, little one?

he is crazy, you think he went to far and you want to save the world.

after being a petty thief and liar.
    Not the way I see it. If I wanted to save the world, I'd have brought a raid. This - this is personal, for my own gain, my own power. I don't want others finding out how to use that power - hence why I'm doing this quietly, on my own.

Wow! So I Apologize to suddenly stray a bit off topic, but I was unaware that my thread was suddenly shifted into an official Green Fire thread.\
    *cheer* I count this as an evolution in forum history.

Now I actually want to discuss quickly on thoughts about the drop rate. I believe that an increase in the rate of the drop is in order, as the scenario is already rather difficult. As I've examined the mechanics from afar (Youtube videos) and I say that this is a true demonstration of warlock skill.

For those who are having trouble
    I am going to throw some suggestions...
    First off
    Spec: Destro due to ember tap and burst damage. You'll be dealing with adds a lot and it will give you time for your CDs to refresh.
    Secondly: Save some of your charges...The first cataclysm will not kill you off right and you can survive it with a smile
    Third: Imps...AOE like a mother fucker as they will disrupt your ED (Enslave Demon)
    Any other suggestions will be great!
    Noted that we've discussed certain techniques already, but this is for the lazy people that do not wish to read back...50 pages. Please throw suggestions or criticize my own. I do not have the book yet (As stated above) due to low drop rates.

Also! Just to top it off, let's also speak of reasons to nerf or not nerf this solo-scenario. I believe it shouldn't be nerfed due to the fact that this really forces me to master my class once again. Enslave Demon being a perfect example...I mean...That's one spell I haven't had to use for a -long- while.