Poll: Did you find this Guide Useful?

Man I just can do this on day 4 of trying now. I just can't get the mechs. of this fight down.

Quote Originally Posted by Discobiscuit View Post
    This post is all kinds of wrong. Loads of players, and most likely a majority of less serious (or less competitive) players were the ones who really voiced their opinion and hope for green flames. Now we have a quest-line that only allows the top players to get it. This isn't about proving who cares about their class more; more so, it's a quest-line (that is intriguing, but relativelyl difficulty free) that lets players get their hopes up by getting to the end of the scenario, only to get ripped apart and feel like they have no chance at completing the quest at the end.

The whole questline is fairly trivial and then blizzard throws a stone wall at all the lesser skilled players. I consider myself a competent player, or at least above average, and I gave up on the quest. I got the book on my very first rare kill. Fortunate right? Went into the scenario, got all the way to the end, and got face rolled repeatedly. I have no interest in going back. What a waste. So much for green fire. Apparently it's only for the die hard top players... They're the "only" ones who care about green fire. Dont make me laugh.
    Right, die hard top players that ran LFG on weekends and did some daily quests in the morning before work since MoP launched. I was sitting at 487, getting a boost from the cheap as free 522 neck piece that came with 5.2 Shado Pan. I didn't beat it being the top elite player with a 510 Ilvl, I beat it after about 50-70 wipes, after I didn't even believe it was possible anymore at my ilvl. After several excruciating 25-30 minute attempts cheesing the encounter on the stairs or simply going at it head on and dying to the first wave of imps 9-15 times.

Loads of players wanted green fire before 'serious' or 'competitive' vs 'casual' were even terms being thrown around. I know I made a couple posts back in the day when I was the only warlock raiding BWL with Destruction on my team and wanted my searing pain to match my new Nemesis shoulders. I beat this encounter because I wanted it more than anything else and it took all week and countless attempts to finally get the muscle memory to handle each part of the encounter relatively flawlessly.

But one thing I didn't do is throw up my hands and come to the forums and bitch that it's too hard and should be handed to me instead. With the mechanics as they are, it's certainly achievable with a 480ish ilvl, the ilvl you can achieve running scenarios and getting a couple reputation rewards. It's a lesson in persistence and conviction more than a gear tally. I'd liken it to the jet-ski level in Battletoads, you don't just breeze through it, you progress, inch by inch, dying on almost every rock until you have your shit together and the whole board memorized down to each button press.

But fear not, wait long enough and you'll have a 550 Ilvl in quest greens, then it too will be the gentle velvet-soft encounter you feel entitled to have.
    Last edited by jackvii; 2013-03-14 at 03:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Couple of things others might not have mentioned.

The SoC boss casts on you not only damages you and leaves the voidzone, but also curses you for like half a minute or so. When cursed, an Imp will settle on your shoulder and will be distracting you from the fight. And gameplay-wise "distracting" means he'll be mini-stunning you every few seconds, interrupting your spellcasting. You should avoid being cursed throughout the fight, and especially during the felhunters phase. Which might not be as easy, because your pit lord would probably not be around to avoid the dispel. I've been dealing with that by using GoSac on my Imp for self dispel.

Also, that one has probably already been mentioned, but anyway. You must grab the aggro of the felhunters the moment they spawn. Keep rain of fire on the gates when they're summoned, stay up close to gate and obviously have at least 3 shards ready to instantly soulburn-swap dots on the adds.
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

DID IT! GOT MAH AWESOME FEL FIRE!
    Once you learn how to manage the three minions, the fight is pretty easier(Still hard as fuck tho)
    however my kill was kinda meh, i did Imps all wrong. not sure how to stack but w/e.

Imp: pretty much Aoe, and using pitlord flame on CD.
    Felhunter: get pitlord out of LoS, pop Dark Soul up, chaos bolt the first Felpup, havoc him, chaosbolt the second felpup(first will die). 2 conflags on the second depending on ilvl and execute him, execute will give you 2 flames. At this point you want to enter the Demonic Gateway to lose aggroo from the boss, then chaos bolt x2 on that one. if he still alive just give some random skill to kill it.
    Doomlords: Just make your pitlord hit once, may use a skilll on it. Then proceed to Portal to lose aggro.

Tips:

-Pre-cast a chaos bolt everytime you are going to use Charge, you will do 800k~~1m damage with 2 chaos bolt.(i'm ilvl479 and got him at 8kk life before the second
    -Re-cast your Enslave at both Doomlord phases to avoid future rage.
    -Use Dark Soul for felpups, if you use Charge right, you won't need to worry about the boss life being to high.
    -Use Purification Pot if you are undergeared like me(don't need, but have it for safety. i used mine but because i missed some charges and some damage time because i was being stupid)
    -Use Demonic GatewayGlyph. No more clicks!
    -Enter Demonic Gateway on CD. Yes, you will be a pingpong ball but you will never have to worry about Chaos bolt again, and will greatly reduce the incoming damage.
    -Try to get as many dispels as you can.
    -Try to input at least one Chaos bolt at every Charge, including before FelPuppies.
    -Use PitLord flame most as possible, it does good damage. And use it everytime you use charge.
    -Abuse from PitLord Heal(i did macro'd it with the Flame and was almost spamming it, using it more cautions only when there were lots of imps)
    -Play it cool until the very end. Don't try to kill the boss as soon as he's on execute phase. Save 4 embers, use charge to stop cataclysm then DarkSoul+shadowburnx4. Then back to kill imps and repeat this until he dies. Only get desperate and try to rush his death if your time is running out(very likely to happen)
    -Don't bother banishing anything at all. Just use gateways and make your pirlord hit the Doomlords for 1~~2seconds then put it back to Kanrethad. you will need to do this everytime you re-enslave your demon. be careful!
    -Don't bother casting immolate on Felhunters, priority is what i said above, if you can't is Conflagrate->incinerate->FelFlame. FelFlame is better than incinerate if he's close to execute range, many times i only needed to felflame once then SB.
    -Don't bother stunning the felhunters, just kill thefastest you can.
    -Use flasks and food(i didn't, but after i learned mechanics, the only problem was my damage output, and flaks/food could help alot)
    -Die. Alot. Well i mean, test stuff. Don't go for the kill, make some research. Try to perfect the Imps, then the Pups, then Doomlords. Do it without caring about the boss life or doing much damage to him. When you get yourself killed by the 7min debuff, it means you are close to kill this motherfucker. Just repeat sometimes this death and when you are feeling confortable with the fight, try to do the same, but faster, better and hitting the boss.

Well, i'm sleepy but i think thats all i can help the ones that still haven't killed him. Must say its hard, too hard for only a cosmetic item. I did less effort on heroicbosses on cataclysm than i did in this fight. (still haven't raided this expansion LoL)

Thanks for everyone posted here, i've been since sunday trying to beat this guy, and i've been reading there everyday searching for clues. In the end i just realized that what was gettin me fucked up was the Enslave going off at second felpuppies. i tought it was the puppies but it was actually the timming. After that i got killed by the 7min debuff like 7~~8times, until i get the right way to DPS and Burst him down.

My Armory is Onibaku in Goldrinn-US if you guys wanna check, the gear is the same. used destruction. Don't lose your hopes. its Hard, but doable with effort! I guess i'm one of those "LFR Heroes" with greenfire now. haha i'm so casual this expansion.
    Signature was infraaaaaaaaaacted. Need a new one!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrenos View Post
    Totally not worth it. What a giant waste of time.
    Why? In my opinion, the green fire looks waaaay better than the orange one. It just fits the warlock class so much more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivis View Post
    Why? In my opinion, the green fire looks waaaay better than the orange one. It just fits the warlock class so much more.
    Just ignore him. The quest was nowhere near a "giant" waste of time. Couple of hours max. And if it actually was that long for him, maybe he didn't even beat it, and just letting out his frustration on the forums. Because y'know, it's the internet and you shouldn't really believe everything what people say here, or even pay attention to it at all.
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dat Lock View Post
    Did this for a guy in US realm , he wanted some help with Kans fight.
    Destro again.

Will upload the video later.
    self quote
    2mins left on curse of Doom , 5:30~ mins fight , 2nd phase of puppies never appeared!!!

To those who believe this final stage is possible by the Elite or Hardcore raiders or whatever.
    It is doable by geared in LFR and maybe some fanction items , the key to this fight is to not loose track of what's going on around you and what to xpect. Lining cooldowns , using pit lords abilities on every chance you get to squeeze more dmg or survive by being healed / dispelled.
    It's more about dont let yourself panic , master the phase , think fast and react to situations that you already know what will happen.

Boss Casting chaos bolt soon ? take position to avoid it.
    Boss has you fully doted ? take position close to him and get breath dispelled.
    Cant take puppies down ? kill them with Pit Lords assist with stunns / move Pit lord to a safe spot and park him ( passive ) and pop your burning cooldowns
    Cant survive the damage ? use Pit lords abilities to heal you or dispell you.
    Ofc it's easier to call it impossible than just overcome your emotions/anger and simply enjoy a good challenging encounter.
    If you thinking nerf will solve your problem , then take this very simple answer and go with it.
    Getting better gear is the nerf you are asking for , keep in mind it's already doable in PvP gear gained by Honor points , and LFR tier 14.
    Last edited by mmoce51f3e626c; 2013-03-14 at 06:49 AM.

Seeing this thread makes me happy i chose too stop farming rares with 73 kills and no book. With only 491 ilvl i understand I woudn't be able to pull it off. Even as a highly skilled ex-glad warlock.

Gear check is gear check. I will just wait for next x-pack next year to faceroll it. Seems the end of MoP is close anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Discobiscuit View Post
    This post is all kinds of wrong. Loads of players, and most likely a majority of less serious (or less competitive) players were the ones who really voiced their opinion and hope for green flames. Now we have a quest-line that only allows the top players to get it. This isn't about proving who cares about their class more; more so, it's a quest-line (that is intriguing, but relativelyl difficulty free) that lets players get their hopes up by getting to the end of the scenario, only to get ripped apart and feel like they have no chance at completing the quest at the end.

The whole questline is fairly trivial and then blizzard throws a stone wall at all the lesser skilled players. I consider myself a competent player, or at least above average, and I gave up on the quest. I got the book on my very first rare kill. Fortunate right? Went into the scenario, got all the way to the end, and got face rolled repeatedly. I have no interest in going back. What a waste. So much for green fire. Apparently it's only for the die hard top players... They're the "only" ones who care about green fire. Dont make me laugh.
    You should reconsider your opinion about yourself then because you live in an illusion. You are wrong that this boss is of top tiers. It is doable by mediocre players, even those a bit below average. There have been way too many kills already, and a huge ammount from people 475~485ilvl. Even if you think that those who managed to do it with low gear are top tier locks, if you are between 490~500ilvl and an average skilled lock, you will do it eventually, 20 or 50 tries doesnt matter. If you gave up on this and think its impossible, you are way below average skill sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gratlim View Post
    Seeing this thread makes me happy i chose too stop farming rares with 73 kills and no book. With only 491 ilvl i understand I woudn't be able to pull it off. Even as a highly skilled ex-glad warlock.

Gear check is gear check
    . I will just wait for next x-pack next year to faceroll it. Seems the end of MoP is close anyway.
    Your statement is wrong. Ppl with 20ilvl below your gear were able to do it. Try and watch some kill videos of ppl doing it with much lower gear than yours, and how consider this a gear check. If anything, this encounter is mechanic awareness and focus check, and even if you are bad at PvE, a highly skilled ex-glad as you state you are would get a handle of it in the end. If non glad blue PvP geared without hit cap could do it, its far away from gear check as you think. Better gear will buy you some time and less waves, nothing more.
    Last edited by pitakos; 2013-03-14 at 06:44 AM.

Honestly, we could bicker for weeks about what does or does not qualify as a "skilled player", but the fact is that many decently-geared, competent Warlocks are spending tens of hours wiping on a single boss. I don't think it would hurt anything to re-balance the entire chain, making the quests prior more difficult, while also making Kanrethad himself slightly more forgiving.

And honestly, when you consider that so many Warlocks *LOVE* using Grimoire of Sacrifice, making an entire fight hinge on micro-management of your pet, is just complete and utter garbage. Let me sacrifice that Pit Lord sonofabitch for my own Charge, and grant some additional health and health-regen to offset the loss of utility slightly (or perhaps make immune to Kan's curses, and just put more emphasis on kiting enemies?). I hate dealing with pets, and that stupid, STUPID Pit Lord seems to just have a mind of his own, even with macro's, unless I just completely stop everything and spam the same command over and over again until he finally obeys.

The fact is, "skill" is not a number, but rather certain players are skills in certain styles of play. After 40+ hours of baging my head against this fight, I've learned that I am incapable of besting this guy. Why I certainly lack certain skills in regards to this particular encounter, it should either be easy enough to be able to push through, or present some alternate means of overcoming him. You wouldn't force a Paladin to prove himself as the Be-All, End-All healer to end all healers without a single flaw in order to obtain a Hammer of the Silver Hand, so why such a stringent requirement for Fel Flames, when so many players enjoy playing Warlocks now *because* they don't require the usage of Pets?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Honestly, we could bicker for weeks about what does or does not qualify as a "skilled player", but the fact is that many decently-geared, competent Warlocks are spending tens of hours wiping on a single boss. I don't think it would hurt anything to re-balance the entire chain, making the quests prior more difficult, while also making Kanrethad himself slightly more forgiving.

And honestly, when you consider that so many Warlocks *LOVE* using Grimoire of Sacrifice, making an entire fight hinge on micro-management of your pet, is just complete and utter garbage. Let me sacrifice that Pit Lord sonofabitch for my own Charge, and grant some additional health and health-regen to offset the loss of utility slightly (or perhaps make immune to Kan's curses, and just put more emphasis on kiting enemies?). I hate dealing with pets, and that stupid, STUPID Pit Lord seems to just have a mind of his own, even with macro's, unless I just completely stop everything and spam the same command over and over again until he finally obeys.

The fact is, "skill" is not a number, but rather certain players are skills in certain styles of play. After 40+ hours of baging my head against this fight, I've learned that I am incapable of besting this guy. Why I certainly lack certain skills in regards to this particular encounter, it should either be easy enough to be able to push through, or present some alternate means of overcoming him. You wouldn't force a Paladin to prove himself as the Be-All, End-All healer to end all healers without a single flaw in order to obtain a Hammer of the Silver Hand, so why such a stringent requirement for Fel Flames, when so many players enjoy playing Warlocks now *because* they don't require the usage of Pets?
    Put Pitty on passive, micro management of a pet in a warlock quest is indeed ridiculous.

The fight comes down to 3 simple things.

Use the fel breath to remove dots.
    Interrupt the cataclysm with the pit lord charge.
    Use cooldowns to kill the felhounds as fast as possible.

Focus on mastering those and youll be fine.

Which mechanics exactly are giving you problems anyway Claymore?

I switched to Destruction which I've only tried for 5 minutes back in classic for this fight. Learning to control a pet should be much simpler than that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gratlim View Post
    Gear check is gear check. I will just wait for next x-pack next year to faceroll it. Seems the end of MoP is close anyway.
    With iLvL 491, it should be perfectly doable for you even without the potion to remove the curse of doom.

I had 3 minutes left on Doom doing it at ilvl 490.

Quote Originally Posted by Nivram View Post
    An option on how to handle felhounds if your gear isn't great.

This is how I did it with i479, as troll and only flask buff (no food or potion):

Stage 1. Preparation. Before the felhounds come you just dealt with a wave of imps and a Cataclysm (which you stunned). You should be swimming on embers, keep them, make sure you got at least 3 right after the Cataclysm, at least while you learn the comfortable spot for you on how to burn/use the embers while mastering the felhounds.

Right after the cataclysm the boss will cast the two debuffs on you (Agony and Seed of Corruption), have the Pitlord dispel you and as soon as he does, send it behind a pillar. If you're unlucky he'll put another debuff on you but should only be one and you got your self cleanse from GoSac. Also, use the pet's heal if you're not at full hp.

The boss will run to the portal and start casting the hounds. At this point your pit lord is way far from the portal and almost behind a pillar.

Cast Rain of Fire on the portal while you're moving away to another pillar (explanation below).

Stage 2. Puppies must die.

As you're running to your pillar the first hound will pop and aggro to you, Curse of Elements it and Cast Havoc (Immolate too if you're OK on time).

The second puppy is out 3 seconds later and will chase you too. Pop your burst macro and cast a Chaos Bolt on puppy #2. If you're lucky both puppies are below 20% if not, don't worry, wait for the third puppy to be on top of the other two and use: 1) Shadowfury stun. 2) Fire and Brimstone. 3) Conflag. If you got another charge of conflag you can do another 2, 3 again and then at least one puppy will be dead. If you manage to kill one of the puppies with Shadowburn feel free to Ember Tap and heal you.

Now, while you were doing this the boss is casting shit at you, mostly just the debuffs and an occasional Soulfire, while the puppies are eating you. How do you survive all the cuddles? Use Sacrificial Pact! Even if your pit lord is far and behind a pillar, you get the shield. Just use it and you can actually tank the hounds, no problem. You should be LoSing every Chaos Bolt in the other phases, so you SacPac should be up every hound phase.

The tricky part is that after the boss puts the 2 dots on, you he'll cast a Chaos Bolt, but I told you on the preparation stage to be near a pillar, and what you should do now that he's casting Chaos Bolt is LoS it behind the pillar you chose. As soon as you're behind the pillar use Unbound Will and the debuffs will be gone. At this point the boss will run at you but by the time he gets to you he has to run to the center and cast Cataclysm. Use your macro to have the lord charge it. If a puppy is still on you, do not get out of the pillar, wait until it's dead or it will dispel your enslave.

In my gear level (and actually poorly optimised) I managed to kill them this way. In some attempts it felt like I was killing a mini boss when I was on felhound #3 and I didn't have enough embers. But I got the hounds phase down pretty quick using this strategy.

Stage 3. After the hounds die, and notes.

Make sure you recast Dark Intent on yourself. They will always dispel it and it's 10% spell power

I used my Infernal on the second wave of hounds, after they're all together I get a free stun and extra damage.

My burst macro is just Demon Soul + Troll Berserking + On Use trinket from heroics 463.

Just a note to this (imo great) tutorial:
    Pop Soul Shatter right before the boss is about to cast the puppies and after you've send to pitlord behind the pillar.
    This will make sure the boss will go after the pitlord instead of casting all his usual crap at you while you're already getting damage from those annoying houds. You can get the pitlord to attack the boss again while behind the pillar wich is a little extra dps and he'll be in range to interrupt cataclysm.

Let's chill on the rage and talk about the strats.

Quote Originally Posted by Axedeo View Post
    Just a note to this (imo great) tutorial:
    Pop Soul Shatter right before the boss is about to cast the puppies and after you've send to pitlord behind the pillar.
    This will make sure the boss will go after the pitlord instead of casting all his usual crap at you while you're already getting damage from those annoying houds. You can get the pitlord to attack the boss again while behind the pillar wich is a little extra dps and he'll be in range to interrupt cataclysm.
    I very much enjoyed reading this Tutorial from the nice troll warlock. If anyone has any other suggestions to add to this guide that Nivram took the time to make, please post! once again...I unfortunately (After many hours of grinding rare mobs) have yet to get the book /cry little warlock tears. This means that my ideas would only come out as invalid compared to this mighty lock, with a mighty...sock.
    Also! Poping soul shatter is a fantastic idea...From what I'm reading, some of you need the extra dps

Deleted
    And honestly, when you consider that so many Warlocks *LOVE* using Grimoire of Sacrifice, making an entire fight hinge on micro-management of your pet, is just complete and utter garbage.
    Yeah, it's complete garbage making a pet class have to use a pet for their class quest line.

The amount of management the pitlord requires is trivial at best, you have to move him away on felhunter phases, use breath every now and again and charge on cataclysm. I hate to enforce my apparent status as elitist overlord in this thread, but if you can't manage that after 40 hours of trying, then perhaps you're not as skilled as you thought you were, regardless of the amount of shades of grey that is.

I don't like AOEing, should they remove the imps for me? You don't get to cherry pick an encounters mechanic, especially when the sole purpose of the scenario it takes place in is to utilise every ability the class has - if you find yourself lacking in one area, then the responsibility is on your end to either become better or forsake your cosmetic effect, not blizzards to tune the encounter so everyone can choose the least path of resistance based on what they're good and bad at.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Backsmack View Post
    I very much enjoyed reading this Tutorial from the nice troll warlock. If anyone has any other suggestions to add to this guide that Nivram took the time to make, please post! once again...I unfortunately (After many hours of grinding rare mobs) have yet to get the book /cry little warlock tears. This means that my ideas would only come out as invalid compared to this mighty lock, with a mighty...sock.
    Also! Poping soul shatter is a fantastic idea...From what I'm reading, some of you need the extra dps
    Well it doesn't really help with the interupt because Kanrethad runs back to the center for that. Even so, you get plenty of warning so it should never be an issue anyway; I don't think it will really help DPS either, since you need the Pit Lord to be in Passive stance, and if you're struggling and focused on killing the Felhunters, you wont be telling your Pit Lord to fight back; even if you do, I think it's a bad idea to have the Pit Lord moving around chasing the boss if the Felhunters are up. They are incredibly tepremental to any kind of movement and just their own jossling for position to eat your face can be enough to have them turn just enough to put the Pit Lord in LOS for a dispel.

I killed this in 6 pulls with no macros and no research. Honestly, stop complaining and start actually thinking about how to beat the fight instead of complaining. All I get from this post is that you're not skilled enough and you want it handed to you on a plate.