Poll: Did you find this Guide Useful?

Quote Originally Posted by Yewturn View Post
    The fight will be easier and difficult in 5.4
    They are nerfing the burning ember generation from Rain of Fire, which kills the last execute phase tremendously.

I'm not sure why so many people are worried about the gateway nerf to 60 seconds. The gateway is used in this fight to drop aggro. This loss of aggro currently lasts for 15 seconds, and in patch 5.4, it will last 60 seconds. This means you will generate no threat for 60 seconds, which is way better than 15. The only problem is not being able to use the gateway for a whole minute.
    I was generating way more embers than I could spend in execute phase, even between mashing Shadowburn and Ember tap

As a whole it'll wind up easier, definitely ... it was balanced around being able to do in t14 gear. In t16 gear our defensive nerfs will be more than offset by how much more damage we'll be doing and how much more health we'll have
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

I'd say that while the ember generation wasn't an issue the increased cooldown on gateway could pose a risk for a lot of players. Adding yet something else to keep track of rather than mindlessly use.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say that while the ember generation wasn't an issue the increased cooldown on gateway could pose a risk for a lot of players. Adding yet something else to keep track of rather than mindlessly use.
    Shouldn't be any issue, just use gateway and/or portal to LoS chaosbolt. And only then, the pit lord takes most of the dmg anyway.

Oh it's not a problem for those of us who used a gateway and portal anyway. But for those already struggling adding a timer to the gateway is gonna hurt.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    After nights and nights of wiping, I FINALLY GOT IT A FEW SECS AGO! I didn't research the fight enough to realize that it stays at the imp phase after the purification pot is used. MAN I feel like an idiot.

One thing I did to make the fight go faster was position the Pit Lord to the right of Kanrethad (screen positioned so that the portal is facing directly in front of you) instead of sending him off into an alcove. I then pulled the felhunters far to the left with me, with their heads facing to the left. This allowed the Pit Lord to keep attacking Kanrethad, offering more DPS and much more threat on the Pit Lord. As long as the felhunters' heads stayed to the left, the Pit Lord remained outside the felhunters' dispel range.

I feel asking whether a Warlock has completed this quest will become a standard application/interview question for top guilds. No matter how you do it, the fight required a strong understanding of game mechanics and the Warlock class, and a drive to keep pushing until you succeed. I've never done hardcore or even progression raiding, so wiping time after time yet slowly making progress gave me a perspective. Either way, props to Blizz for this fight.
    Last edited by Synchrony; 2013-07-13 at 09:52 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraend View Post
    So tell me, you did the encounter as demo or afflic? Lemme see, I'm really interested to see how it's done, especially the felpup phase.

I won't knock you, maybe you're great in a way no warlock I've ever seen has been. What was your ilivl when you did it?
    did it as demo ilvl 496, mostly pvp gear. i am good. i am not great...

things that helped me:
    - make the macros you need for the pit lord
    - i dont know if its required, i got +16% hit (reforge & juwels and few pve items)
    - imps are cake with mannorothos fury
    - speaking loud out what im doing and what the boss is doing (made me realise much more how the mechanic "feels")
    - try not do think about your dmg first, think only of the mechanic. what is happening now. what happens next. what will i have to do etc. etc.
    - the fellpuppy phase gave me a hell of a nightmare. i beat it like this: pit lord to the left, me: to the right behind the portal. full demonic fury is required, also activate sac. pact and heal yourself with pit lord full. start fire ae in normal form till all 3 are there. put corruption up on all, then switch to demo. activate all cds you have and go: fire ae, 2x hand of guldan, and the silly beam you have and hope they die. if not OR K starts casting the bold teleport yourself behind the wall. the puppys will be almoust dead till they reach you...
    - practise, practise, practise ( i had 70 tryies, 3 days)

im not writing about any spells or abilities cause that was written 1000x times i guess. still: feel free to ask
    Last edited by mmoc309b2234ca; 2013-07-13 at 07:44 AM.

I am probably the most pro-casual player I have ever met. I feel like casual players should get the opportunity to see even more than they do now.

With that said - this encounter is perfect. It's not terribly complicated once you get the pattern down. Neither is Bowser throwing fireballs that you have to jump over to get to the princess. But just like Super Mario, you have to execute the fight perfectly, or you're going to fail the encounter.

I bring up Mario because this fight really reminded me of old school nintendo side-scrollers, where you had to repeat levels over and over to get to the hard part, where inevitably you would fail 10, 20, 30 times before timing that last jump perfectly, and saving the princess.

Perhaps I am dating myself with that statement. But it's so true... that sense of satisfaction that you get once you get everything down just right, and you beat the game, you stand up, pump your fist, and celebrate your reward. This one of the few things I've done in wow that have given me that type of feeling (it's different than downing heroic raid bosses as a team - that is satisfying as well, but different somehow).

10+ Year Old Account
    mother of god, i just started my first few attempts last night.

i can't even get to Felhound phase more than 1 out of evert 10 attempts.

I have Charge to interrupt the Catalclysm down, but i cannot for the life of me deal with chaos bolt. First of all does unending resolve do nothing to mitigate CB's damage or is my health pool just so low that even at only 60% dmg CB still one shots me?

I hear tell of people using LOS to avoid the chaos bolt but every location i have tried to LOS it, it still hits me, can't seem get the positioning right.
    Last edited by Grubjuice; 2013-07-16 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromelter View Post
    I am probably the most pro-casual player I have ever met. I feel like casual players should get the opportunity to see even more than they do now.

With that said - this encounter is perfect. It's not terribly complicated once you get the pattern down. Neither is Bowser throwing fireballs that you have to jump over to get to the princess. But just like Super Mario, you have to execute the fight perfectly, or you're going to fail the encounter.

I bring up Mario because this fight really reminded me of old school nintendo side-scrollers, where you had to repeat levels over and over to get to the hard part, where inevitably you would fail 10, 20, 30 times before timing that last jump perfectly, and saving the princess.

Perhaps I am dating myself with that statement. But it's so true... that sense of satisfaction that you get once you get everything down just right, and you beat the game, you stand up, pump your fist, and celebrate your reward. This one of the few things I've done in wow that have given me that type of feeling (it's different than downing heroic raid bosses as a team - that is satisfying as well, but different somehow).
    Agreed. (BTW, I am 32...and I have played my fair share of Mario games, lol.)

Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    mother of god, i just started my first few attempts last night.

i can't even get to Felhound phase more than 1 out of evert 10 attempts.

I have Charge to interrupt the Catalclysm down, but i cannot for the life of me deal with chaos bolt. First of all does unending resolve do nothing to mitigate CB's damage or is my health pool just so low that even at only 60% dmg CB still one shots me?

I hear tell of people using LOS to avoid the chaos bolt but every location i have tried to LOS it, it still hits me, can't seem get the positioning right.
    There are plenty of videos & guides demonstrating various techniques to beat this encounter. One method that I found quite useful was using the Demonic Gateway liberally, as Kanrethad won't even cast Chaos Bolt (or much of anything else for that matter) if you have the gateway's debuff on you.

I will burn your soul.

10+ Year Old Account
    The gateway debuff, it can't stop a chaos bolt but can prevent chaos from being cast for it's duration?

Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    The gateway debuff, it can't stop a chaos bolt but can prevent chaos from being cast for it's duration?
    Essentially, he will just focus on the pitlord while the debuff is on you.

I will burn your soul.

I feel like I also got less dots cast on me w/ the gateway. I used it every time it was off CD. OH and don't be afraid to use the Pit Lord's abilities such as his heal.

I finally picked up the quest item cheap in /trade and spent 2 hours doing this.

I wrote an essay for my guild on what the fight entailed, posted here for giggles. Yes I glossed over some parts, and over emphasised other parts. Poetics license and all that

(I was going to make this a link to pastebin to save screen real estate but apparently I haven't posted enough!)

So for those of you that don't know Warlocks have a quest chain that lets them change their fire spells to be green (Fel). To get it you have to farm a tome that drops of the rare elites on ToT Ilse. Once you get it you do a series of small quests mostly in outlands leading up to a solo scenario in the Black Temple.

The final part is a boss fight against a warlock called Kanrethad. This is probably the most difficult thing I have ever accomplished in game.

Kanrethad has 31 million health and has over 20 different abilities. Do complete this fight you must use your enslave demon ability, your gateway, your portal, 3 different pet abilities and deal with 3 different types of adds during the encounter. If you make a mistake at any point during the fight you will die and have to start again. You must also kill him within 7 mins or you die.

The fight basically goes like this:

Put your Gateway up, with the other end being behind a pillar out of LOS. Drop your teleport next to it.

Start the encounter, wait for the 30s of intro text then open up with all your CDs and go to town for another 30s of free dps.

Kanrethad then starts to summon a Pit Lord (i.e. Brutalis, Manaroth etc).
    When it appears stun it with shadowfury, then enslave it so it becomes your pet.

Now that you have a new pet set it on to Kanrethad. Use your gateway to drop your threat so Kanrethad is now attacking the pit lord.

Now use your Pets charge ability to stun him and boost your dps for a few seconds. Don't use this again because you need it later.

Kanrethad now starts putting dots on you including one with a 7min timer called "Curse of Ultimate Doom" that will kill you when it expires. Effectively setting a time limit for the rest of the encounter.

Your pet has a breath weapon ability that can dispel these dots from you, you need to position your self on the opposite side of him so that you get hit by it when you use it to dispel the dots. He will also cast rain of fire that you need to move out of. If the dots stay on you they interrupt you, stun you, drop fire on the ground and all sorts of nasty things.

So at this point you are:
    - Keeping full dps up on the boss to beat the enrage timer.
    - Using your pets breath to remove dots on you.
    - Ensuring your enslave demon is not about to end.
    - Making sure you are not standing in the fire.

Kanrethad now starts casting Chaos Bolt, he will do this every min roughly for the fight, you've got 2 options.

1) Use your defensive cool downs to absorb the hit, then use your Pets heal ability to top you back up.
    2) Use your gateway to get out of line of sight before the cast ends and he will cast it on the Pit Lord instead.

So now we are:
    - Making sure you are not standing in the fire
    - And using your gateway to get out of LOS for Chaos Bolt by using your gateway or def CDs.

Now Kanrethad runs to the middle of the room and starts casting Cataclysm. This has a 5s duration and if he completes the cast you take 1 million damage. You need to use your Pets charge ability to interrupt this.

- And using your gateway to get out of LOS for Chaos Bolt by using your gateway or def CDs.
    - Use your Pets charge ability to interrupt Cataclysm or you die.

Now Kanrethad starts summoning 60 wild imps, that all cast firebolt and will continue to do so until they die.
    So you need to AOE them and use your pets breath weapon on them as well. If you time it right you can use your gateway to drop threat for a bit and have them attack the pit lord. You will get another Chaos Bolt while fighting them so you use your teleport to get back to your gateway and then get out of LOS.

So now we are:
    - Keeping dots up on the boss to beat the enrage timer.
    - Use your AOE abilities to get rid of the 60 imp adds asap.

You will get another Cataclysm now so use your Pets charge to interrupt it, dont forget to use the breath attack to clear your dots and keep up your dps rotation.

Now it starts to get really hard.

Kanrethad next summons 3 Felhounds, before they start to appear you need to order your pet to move to the other side of the room, preferably out of site behind a pillar. You need to do this because the Felhounds will dispel your enslave (and continue to do so while they are alive). If this happens the Pit Lord will charge you and you will die.

- Making sure you are not standing in the fire.
    - Ensuring your enslave demon is not about to end or has been remove by the FelHounds
    - Use your offensive CDs to kill the 3 Felhounds as quickly as possible, keeping them out of LOS of your Pet.

Once they are dead you need to order your pet back on to the boss because you will get another Cataclysm now and need your Pets charge to interrupt it, don't forget to use the breath attack to clear your dots that built up while you were killing the Felhounds. At this point you will need to re-snalve the Pit Lord as its about to expire.

Next Kanrethad summons a Doomlord, when it appears you need to banish it or it starts chain casting shadow bolts at you. The Banish only lasts around 60s so you need to keep him banished for the rest of the fight.

- Making sure the Doom Lord is Banished

Kanrethad will use Cataclysm again, so you interrupt it with charge and the whole cycle starts again. The enrage timer expires just after the 2nd doom lord appears. Which if you haven't killed him by then your in trouble with anyway as you can only banish one at a time.

It took me about 15 attempts to kill him in the end, with a break for dinner in between. A very frustrating but also very rewarding fight when you managed to do everything right!

Deleted
    Just finished with 495 ilevel with about 12 wipes,
    many useful tips and guides on both mmo champ, and wowhead, do some research before attempting, helps alot, esspecially the youtube videos

A few tips:

Staying calm is very important, I died very early on due to panic, and failing to felhounds.
    Keep in mind the gateway can be destroyed by his rain of fire so don't stand around it too much, thats almost definately going to case a wipe. (also refresh circle)
    Last phase I found to be difficult, as the damage I was taking was EXTREAMLY high, don't rush the dps, keep up lots of embers for Ember tap, and roate with shadowburn.
    I used GoS with SL, this gave me almost 550k health through the fight, helps alot to have a buffer
    Bring food, flasks, and many purification potions, (to remove doom, so dps isn't a problem)

Some macros I used:

#showtooltip Fel Flame Breath
    /cast [@Player] Fel Flame Breath

Helps keep dots off you, use on cd

/cast Twilight Ward
    /cast Unending Resolve

Pops cds to help survive large spikes in damage

#showtooltip
    /target Pit Lord
    /cast Enslave Demon
    /targetlasttarget
    /petattack

Fast way of keeping dps up, while quickly enslaving

Learnt these from various sources

Thanks, and goooooodddd luck fellow locks!

First proper post, hope it helps
    Last edited by mmoca98b1cb59e; 2013-07-17 at 12:41 AM.

Finally got the quest last night, did it up to the start of the Black Temple. Will put in attempts tonight, one question though. Is affliction viable for this at all (my lock is only 494) I really dislike destro, and would prefer to do it as Aff.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Theiea View Post
    Finally got the quest last night, did it up to the start of the Black Temple. Will put in attempts tonight, one question though. Is affliction viable for this at all (my lock is only 494) I really dislike destro, and would prefer to do it as Aff.
    I'd reccomend Destro, I feel without embertap the fight would be ALOT harder, feel free to give it some attempts though

I did it as Affliction, set Kanth to your focus and use a SB:SS focus macro to keep him dot'd up as you deal with the other mechanics.
    Be sure to keep 1 shard for the imps (SB:SoC) and 3 for the felhounds as well. Drain life on the imps as aff makes them pretty trivial as well.

As long as AE wasn't an issue I couldn't see affliction posing an issue. I'm guessing soulburn + SoD would wipe them out fairly quickly.

I never used ember tap when I did this as destro though. So while it was nice to have the option, I dont think it's the end all spec for this fight. Frankly I think a propperly geared demo warlock could rock this encounter 6 ways from sunday.

I will say Im not the best player and I have not been in a raiding guild since wrath, but this fight is extremely intimidating at first. I never thought I would down it. The best strat is to put the gateway in front of the soulwell to spawn him and accross the metal gated area on the floor. Then reset aggro at every chance(jumping with the gateway), have pitlord charge and felflame the imps. Send pitlord to upper right hand corner, take the gateway to reset ebonlockes aggro, then take on the fel pups with no problems. Always use singe magic every CD and the pit lords breath. Some say banish the second Doomlord, but my pit lord held aggro on both of them. then just continue resetting your aggro and cleaning your dots and your gold.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no problem with the Imps, and I now i have Charge and Chaos Bolt under control but now i am choking on the Felhounds.

I have been trying the strategy of moving my Pit Lord out of LOS of the hound before they spawn, but on various occasions i have not had them down fast enough before they killed me, or i have had to pull my Pit Lord back into combat to charge a Cataclysm and they ate his enslave buff or i didn't dump aggro with the portal and Kan chaosbolted me before i could get out of LOS.

Still need to practice i guess.