Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    This is a bullshit statistic, since the Secret Service detail is based on the President's needs. That's what they're there for. This is just as dishonest as including the salaries of the Secret Service staff in the cost when working out how much the President's vacation cost.

Those men were going to be paid to do their job regardless of what the President did that night.
    Because it costs exactly the same amount of money to run details at several venues across DC as it does for any normal day?

It's still a cost.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Yeah, because that could never happen. No one on MMO-C OT forums would ever bash Romney over his wealth and his friends wealth. Right....
    We'd bash him over his wealth, but that's something true of its own accord; I have the same issues with him today, in exactly the same degree, as I would if he were President, in that regard. That's an issue of wealth inequality, though, and it has jack squat to do with the President attending a celebratory gala.

So far, from this thread I have learned that:

Traditions are bad if they have religious aspects.
    No other functions can be held on MLK day, because it means that he would have supported them.
    Obama doing things other presidents have done is unacceptable because he's Obama.
    Romney was the worst option, despite there being no better options.

Very enlightening, if I do say so myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is a bullshit statistic, since the Secret Service detail is based on the President's needs. That's what they're there for. This is just as dishonest as including the salaries of the Secret Service staff in the cost when working out how much the President's vacation cost.

Those men were going to be paid to do their job regardless of what the President did that night.
    I know, right? That argument really doesn't fly with me at all. Let people have parties that want to have parties. If the president chooses to attend parties, that's his prerogative.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Because it costs exactly the same amount of money to run details at several venues across DC as it does for any normal day?

It's still a cost.
    It's not an additional cost. They may get pulled off other duties, but they're working, regardless. This is their job. It's not costing taxpayers anything extra because they're defending him at a gala event rather than at home.

Well, other than the price of gas for them to drive out to the gala. I'll concede that $5-10 bucks, assuming it's a fair distance and they have a bunch of vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    This is my stance as a general rule, but it's not what's been communicated in this thread. What's been communicated here, more accurately, could be summarized as "explicitly religious pronunciations made in the context of government are inappropriate".

We'd bash him over his wealth, but that's something true of its own accord; I have the same issues with him today, in exactly the same degree, as I would if he were President, in that regard. That's an issue of wealth inequality, though, and it has jack squat to do with the President attending a celebratory gala.
    I find it very hard to believe the vitriolic hate towards Romney that was around during the election work out wouldn't be out in full force today complaining about his wealthy friends tossing him a huge party

---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 08:09 PM ----------

It's not an additional cost. They may get pulled off other duties, but they're working, regardless. This is their job. It's not costing taxpayers anything extra because they're defending him at a gala event rather than at home.

Well, other than the price of gas for them to drive out to the gala. I'll concede that $5-10 bucks, assuming it's a fair distance and they have a bunch of vehicles.
    They are going to be screening event staff, food service items, containers, guests, vehicles, etc., etc., etc. at multiple locations all night long. Sure, that sounds like it might cost $10. If only we could get you to work in the GAO, our deficit might just disappear overnight.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find it very hard to believe the vitriolic hate towards Romney that was around during the election work out wouldn't be out in full force today complaining about his wealthy friends tossing him a huge party
    There'd be a lunatic fringe, sure. They're nuts, though.

And it would be about how wealthy Romney and friends are, and how they secured that wealth, not that they're having a party. I have issues with vulture capitalism, and that's how Romney made his money. That's why I didn't like him.

That he'd be having a celebratory gala after winning? That's absolutely bog standard and to be expected. Because he'd be a head of state. That's part of the job.

I'd have the same issues with Romney sitting at home having a beer as I do with him attending a gala.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's not even close to what I said, but I would probably agree with it 99% of the time.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

I guess I'm supposed to be inspired by this parade, but it just seems creepy to me. I fail at nationalism.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    This is my stance as a general rule, but it's not what's been communicated in this thread. What's been communicated here, more accurately, could be summarized as "explicitly religious pronunciations made in the context of government are inappropriate".
    Meh, it's no different to me than people getting bent out of shape because someone puts a Christmas Tree in a public place. Heaven forbid! Wait... Goddammit! Wait... Political correctness can go to hell! ...wait! Blah, this is hard. I need to brush up on my non-religious imprecations.

Meh, it's no different to me than people getting bent out of shape because someone puts a Christmas Tree in a public place. Heaven forbid! Wait... Goddammit! Wait... Political correctness can go to hell! ...wait! Blah, this is hard. I need to brush up on my non-religious imprecations.
    Stating that the government shouldn't endorse religions isn't "political correctness".

10+ Year Old Account

The inauguration

Nice to see all the millions of taxpayer dollars wasted on this inauguration. So much money wasted on building that huge structure for the man who thinks he is king, so he can watch all the festivities in a heated room instead of standing outside like all the other peons.

Then they waste money on parades, lavish meals, and top name celebrity concerts. All the while making it a night mare for people to travel by closing roads and causing gridlock.

They really need to discontinue inauguration celebrations just like Warren Harding did. He thought they were unnecessary and expensive and so do I. The point of an inauguration is simply to take the oath of office and offer a few words and that is all that should be done. Just another example of government just spending my money however they damn well please. And no, this isnt a bash Obama post. I dont think ANY president should get this kind of regalement. If I was ever elected to be president the only festivites would be me swearing in my office on the steps of the capitol, I would say a small speech, then go back to the white house and make hotdogs and burgers on the grill for my family and friends to celebrate

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Being a sorta-kinda Obama supporter, I agree full-heartedly with your post. When our debt is where it's at, this is one of the last things our dollars should be put towards.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Parties at your house must be the worst.

Relax. Enjoy yourself once in a while.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Nice to see all the millions of taxpayer dollars wasted on this inauguration. So much money wasted on building that huge structure for the man who thinks he is king, so he can watch all the festivities in a heated room instead of standing outside like all the other peons.

Then they waste money on parades, lavish meals, and top name celebrity concerts. All the while making it a night mare for people to travel by closing roads and causing gridlock.

They really need to discontinue inauguration celebrations just like Warren Harding did. He thought they were unnecessary and expensive and so do I. The point of an inauguration is simply to take the oath of office and offer a few words and that is all that should be done. Just another example of government just spending my money however they damn well please. And no, this isnt a bash Obama post. I dont think ANY president should get this kind of regalement. If I was ever elected to be president the only festivites would be me swearing in my office on the steps of the capitol, I would say a small speech, then go back to the white house and make hotdogs and burgers on the grill for my family and friends to celebrate
    You watch too much FOX news.

10+ Year Old Account
    Money was donated to the Inauguration, no tax payer money was used.... Unless you're really counting donations...
    Last edited by Warpaladin; 2013-01-21 at 11:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown
    "The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time"

It's not like this money would not have been spent some other way.
    At least this way, people see president. If president locks himself into white house for four years making hotdogs for family, I'm not sure why you think that would be better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmatum View Post
    You watch too much FOX news.
    I dont watch FOX news at all, they are far too left for me. I believe in spending the absolute minimum of tax dollars and elimination of ALL government programs other than national defense and police.

---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 06:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Warpaladin View Post
    Money was donated to the Inauguration, no tax payer money was used.... Unless you're really counting donations...
    So donations paid for that heated structure to be built? It paid for all the fancy food they will eat? It paid for the salaries of the thousands of police and SS Agents that had to work to protect the president and direct traffic? Donations paid for all the lost hours people had because they couldnt get to work due to traffic or security? I call BS

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont watch FOX news at all, they are far too left for me. I believe in spending the absolute minimum of tax dollars and elimination of ALL government programs other than national defense and police.

---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 06:11 PM ----------

So donations paid for that heated structure to be built? It paid for all the fancy food they will eat? It paid for the salaries of the thousands of police and SS Agents that had to work to protect the president and direct traffic? Donations paid for all the lost hours people had because they couldnt get to work due to traffic or security? I call BS
    Dude....I have my doubts that you even paid enough back to the government for your education let alone all the stuff your mentioning.

The inauguration and everything that is part of it is paid by the donors and not by tax payers.

And people really need to look up how things where before WW2 when government only did provide defence and police (a hint it wasn't paradise for most of the people)