Thread: HTPC Control

10+ Year Old Account

HTPC Control

How do you guys control your HTPC's?

I just ordered this after reading some really good reviews about it: Unisen Ipazz Port KP-810-10A
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    But hey, we're just strangers on the Internet with decades of combined IT and computer building experience, what do we know?

10+ Year Old Account
    Some really old logitech wireless keyboard/mouse and a wireless xbox 360 controller when using xbmc.
    Also have an ipod touch but honestly that is a waste of time unless you need some crazy range or to control it through walls etc.

When I get some free money I want to get a full size keyboard with a trackpad similar to what you have ordered.
    Last edited by lockblock; 2013-01-21 at 09:28 PM.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    These types of controls are intriguing to me, but I've always been skeptical of their responsiveness and "user-friendliness".

I'd be very interested in seeing reviews from anyone that has actually used something like this!

Deleted
    Either with my phone or with my tablet. I also have a remote that works via my stereo for menu selection, play/pause, next track, fast forward and so on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    Some really old logitech wireless keyboard/mouse and a wireless xbox 360 controller when using xbmc.
    Also have an ipod touch but honestly that is a waste of time unless you need some crazy range or to control it through walls etc.

When I get some free money I want to get a full size keyboard with a trackpad similar to what you have ordered.
    Oh that things not full size :P It's the size of a large TV remote. I use a 360 controller as well, I have all my Steam games installed on the HTPC/Server on a network shared drive. I can access the Steam install from any PC on my network and play any game.

Quote Originally Posted by fraks View Post
    These types of controls are intriguing to me, but I've always been skeptical of their responsiveness and "user-friendliness".

I'd be very interested in seeing reviews from anyone that has actually used something like this!
    I'll let ya know after it gets delivered tomorrow, got it overnighted from Amazon.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Either with my phone or with my tablet. I also have a remote that works via my stereo for menu selection, play/pause, next track, fast forward and so on.
    Unified Remote?
    But hey, we're just strangers on the Internet with decades of combined IT and computer building experience, what do we know?

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been waffling on what to do for an HTPC lately, between one of those net-top systems with a Hudson APU, or if I should build a small shuttle-like system. I'm under the impression that the power draw is a pretty massive difference (3w vs like 30w)

What software/setup would you with your phone? I know my girlfriend just got her phone to turn on the tv lately.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.unifiedremote.com/
    Is what I use currently, but I'm switching to the mini keyboard/touchpad because UR doesn't support in game control. Most games grab keyboard input off the hardware side, UR is all software.

---------- Post added 2013-01-22 at 01:35 PM ----------

The mini keyboard arrived this morning after I got off work, standard plastic hinged blister pack popped right open no knife needed. Its charging right now, did some limited testing with it earlier. It can be used while charging which is nice. On to the Review:

Build quality: typical cheap chinese plastic, fairly durable thou as I've dropped it once already.
    Design: its shaped like a fat TV remote, standard american keyboard layout, full compliment of keys, the touchpad feels a bit cramped given its size.
    Ease of Use: it does what its designed to do flawlessly with one caveat, they lied about the range, website says 10m 30f, I get about 15f out of it.
    Ergonomics/Comfort: it's shaped like a rectangle don't expect much in the way of hand friendlyness, the plastic is smooth and rounded thou so no sharp edges

Final Thought: It was worth the $20-30 price tag, does what I need it to, the cramped touchpad could be an issue for those with larger hands, it has a button to switch orientation for use like a remote for presentations, it has a keyboard backlight and a laser pointer which are useful but really just bonuses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wall of Text inc.

So it's been about a week since I've been using this mini keyboard, only major issue so far is I can no longer turn it off with the switch. I switched it on the second day and the micro switch inside shattered in the on position. It's not a huge issue really, the keyboard has a built in sleep mode after 1 minute of inactivity, you turn it back on by hitting esc or shift. I stand by my initial thoughts thou construction is decent enough it's just cheap. Also it misses a key press every once in awhile, not often, but enough to be annoying. It rarely needs to be charged either. I've been using it all week and besides the initial overnight charge I have yet to plug it back in. The tiny trackpad is actually responsive enough for some light gaming as well. I've played Torchlight and New Vegas semi successfully, although most of the time I just plug in my 360 controller.

10+ Year Old Account
    i have a traditional IR remote for my main htpc, but i use an app on my phone for controlling media center on my desktop

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    i have a traditional IR remote for my main htpc, but i use an app on my phone for controlling media center on my desktop
    Ya I was controlling it with Unified Remote on my phone, but there are times you need a hardware keyboard and this appears to be fitting my needs very well.

I use a standard keyboard and mouse via usb extension cables.
    Works quite well.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.