303 39.87%
  • No, I don't heal pets, it's the pet class's job to keep them up

148 19.47%
  • No, I don't even have pets on my bars

288 37.89%
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Good grief this old case again. NO - its not the healers case to spend time or mana on healer a hunter, or warlocks pet. Said classes got abilities and talents to heal their pets themself, so if they don´t want to spend a second to use that ability its their own fault. But I guess its easier to blame the healer who had to keep up the tank that s/he didn´t use their ability one said pet once.

On that note I MIGHT heal a pet if I notice it being low and noone else needs help. But I wouldn´t expect the healer to heal the pet unless the tank was dead, and the pet was off tanking for those few seconds (and even if it died I wouldn´t blame them ).
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Navitas View Post
    Care to explain what's so wrong with this?

---------- Post added 2013-01-22 at 11:10 AM ----------

Thanks for saving me the time to write this out
    Because it is all situational...heal whoever needs it the most in whatever situation you are in. Just following a priority list (after tank) is stupid. (selfheal is prio though, same goes for a dps keeping himself alive when hes really low)

By default i never have issues with pet health, in raids the pet Growl doesn't work on bosses, and even if the pet was able to get aggro, it wouldn't really matter since there seem to be a "vs pet" damage bonus that makes practicaly everything able to oneshot a Tenacity pet.

If a Hunter can't be bothered watching the health and spending a global cooldown to heal it as needed, he could just grab the Spirit Bond talent, hardly ever need to heal it that way. For dungeons it doesn't matter, unless the tank is dead or otherwise missing, there should be only minimal pet damage, at most, if it's pulling aggro, then he's creating his own problem, and he can fix his own problem.

Plus, pet resurrection is only 6 sec cast(before haste), and works in combat.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a Tank, Huntards not turning off Growl really ticks me off so I whisper the healer politely asking them not to heal the Pet because the Hunter is not thinking properly, some fights I will need to kite and a taunting pet really pisses me off in those situations because I'm forced to keep having to taunt it off.

But it's not necessary to heal the pet, ultimately it's up to the Hunter to fully utilize their abilities and to keep his/her dps as high as it should be, this means keeping his/her own pet up but if there's a situation where mend pet just isn't keeping up with high damage (Which I doubt since they nerfed AoE damage) AND it's not tanking things, then sure it's up to the Healer to keep whatever counts as damage, alive.

As an Unholy DK, I can and will heal my own Pet if it's going to die and still be able to keep pretty high dps also because it's essential to my dps.
    Last edited by NatePsy; 2013-01-22 at 11:45 AM.

Deleted
    There are some daft mechanics that will often kill pets quite easily (Nefarian's lava for instance), as far as who heals it, its a bit of both tbh. On a very high dps requirement fight and you flat out refuse to heal pets regardless of how much damage other people are taking, would you be content with the knowledge that you could have prevented the 0.1% wipe on the basis that the owner should have healed it (which would also be a dps loss).

This is all hypothetical because I don't know of any fights in MoP where pets can die easily.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hmmm no, generally no. Because the pet is technically a part of the player you might think that you should heal it, but now a day if the pet dies is generally it's owner fault due to some mistake or because he got 1-2 shot.

Also, consider that now a day it will take it's owner 1 or 2 seconds to get it again in a fight and you should rather save mana/do damage if there's nothing to heal.

Deleted
    If I have spare time and mana, yes, but pets are the last thing on my mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well tbh, I think it does separate the great healers from the good ones. Focus should be on players of course, but a great healer also has eyes for pets. Focus decreasing in relation to group size really, it's more important to keep an eye out in 5 mans than in 25 mans. 10 mans fall somewehere in between.

I do not mind healing the Pets but I would never waste mana on a Pet if I will miss it to heal a player. So my answer is that Pets have the lowest priority for me. A Hunter, Warlock, Mage can always summon/call/revive his pet mid fight if it dies anyway!
    If a Hunter, because I believe only a Hunter would whine for not healing his Pet has a problem with that, then let him die next fight and tell him that you where trying to save his Pet....

Deleted
    I usually only heal pets if the other party members dont need it.

Deleted
    In low level dungeons is do sometimes, because the tank is learning to take aggro, and many randoms things happen there. But in endgame content I almost never do. Maybe once in a while in 5 man hc's, but the tank should have learned enough by then, how to hold aggro from pets and other players. If the player's pet keeps getting threat, i assume they have growl or something on, and I just let them die. That way players will also learn that we won't babysit them all the time, and that they have to keep track of what their pet is doing.

As both a hunter and a healer, no, I do not heal pets. Hunters can do it themselves, they are capable...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Niberion View Post
    As a warlock, I expect healers to heal my pet. Keeping a pet alive is as much a healers job as the owners. Other players are prioritized over pets, but when no one is in need of healing and I see pets dying, the healers ain't doing their job.
    The last time a healer in my guild refused not to heal pets, I gave him the option to either not raid with us, or to come and also heal pets. His decision was quickly made, hehe.
    As I said to another healer the other day.

Its their responsibility to ensure that they have enough mana to last until the boss is dead, usually in 10 man raids with the amount of aoe damage going out & smart heals their mana is for PEOPLE not NPC's, the smart heals do enough to keep pets alive, I have never seen our hunters pet dead in raids and I know our healers only aoe heal on to them.

If you as a dps want to whine about your pet dying, try raiding as the healer with undergeared players or not as skillful and as such have to burn a lot of mana which means 1 heal on a pet can be a heal thats not available to keep your tank alive in the last 30 seconds before beserk lands and your raid wipes.

For dungeons, as a tank if a hunter or warlocks pet taunts once, they get a warning to turn threat mechanic off, after that every time it taunts off of me, i sit down until the pet is dead. It is the pets owners responsibility to control their pet, its part of their dps, its not my overall dps.

A Healers job is to keep the Tank alive, themself alive and players alive
    A tanks job is to stay alive, keep maximum threat & control the boss fight mechanics
    A dps's job is to maximise their DPS by all means, but also staying alive with all self buffs they have available to reduce the need of the healers to waste mana, and to keep below the tank on threat (we/they have dethreat mechanics for a reason), and if a pet is part of their DPS, its their responsibility to keep it alive.

From most of what I have seen, people playing healers with pet classes as well control their pets health to keep it as part of their viable DPS, and know its the lowest priority possible. Its people who dont understand their responsibility as a dps class to reduce the amount of pressure on healers.

In CATA and now MOP they have deliberately made it so healers have to think and conserve mana, this is no lichking spam mana fest as if its free free free anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Theyjump to pets, BECAUSE they are SMART heals.. They try to make up for what YOU lack..

Healing pets IS a responsibility of healers, but if it comes to a player dying because a pet is healed, then the healer does it wrong.
    If you can keep pets healed with AoE heals and pasive abilities (Smite, Chain Heal, Tranquility etc) fine, but NEVER say it's not your responsibility as a healer, because it have been since day 1, and still is.

Funny, how people say ALL pet classes have heals for the pets..
    - How does a frost mage heal his elemental? Oh yeah, HE CAN'T..
    - How does a warlock heal his minion? Small passive healing, since Health Funnel was removed. And with Soul Link reducing the minions health by 50%, it's in a REAL danger of dying..
    - Unholy DKs, can indeed heal Timmy, however, it's at a HUGE sacrifice of DPS, as he doesn't build stacks, when DCing Timmy.
    - Hunters can't counter a sigle DoT on his pet, if Mend Pet is unglyphed, and since there are more important glyphs than MP, (virtually) noone use it for raiding..
    /facepalm You haven't the SLIGHTEST clue what you are talking about.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    My opinion is that as a healer your job is to heal the group the best you can, pets are part of the group therefore they need to be healed. They should be at the bottom of your priority list but they should still be in the list.

I heal pets in LFR, and occasionally in real raids... but usually mana's kinda tight in real raids now and I find myself being stingy on non-tank heals in general.

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post

Funny, how people say ALL pet classes have heals for the pets..
    - How does a frost mage heal his elemental? Oh yeah, HE CAN'T..
    - How does a warlock heal his minion? Small passive healing, since Health Funnel was removed. And with Soul Link reducing the minions health by 50%, it's in a REAL danger of dying..
    - Unholy DKs, can indeed heal Timmy, however, it's at a HUGE sacrifice of DPS, as he doesn't build stacks, when DCing Timmy.
    - Hunters can't counter a sigle DoT on his pet, if Mend Pet is unglyphed, and since there are more important glyphs than MP, (virtually) noone use it for raiding..
    -Frost mages can cast Frost bolt on their pet to heal it.
    -Health Funnel is only removed if you talent Soul Link, and if you do talent Soul link, everything that heals the lock heals the pet and vice versa. In this case, the Healer is healing both the pet and lock if (s)he heals either the pet or the lock which makes the whole discussion irrelevant in this case as the healer obviously should heal the lock. Besides, if a Warlock has that hard a time keeping their pet alive, they can always run GoSac, especially if they are Affliction or Destro.
    -I don't think I've ever seen "timmy" die in PvE. Been a while since I played a DK but I think he gets some self healing somehow (when he transforms or something) Besides, unlike the other classes, Unholy DKs can resummon their pet at the cost of just 1 GCD and no resources, although on a fairly long CD. But again, how the hell is "timmy" dying?
    - Hunters actually have it the worst, I agree. Without any glyphs or talents boosting pet healing, they can heal a grand total of 2.5% pet health per second at the cost of 1 GCD every 10 seconds and if their pet dies they have to spend a long time resummoning. Having to self heal their pets is a huge DPS loss in the event that they actually do have to self heal their pet (instead of because their pet is taunting and taking damage it shouldn't be because they were a huntard).

Anyway, the whole argument that "if your guild is progressing, the healer should be healing pets" is a bit of a misnomer. Some fights are DPS checks, but some fights are healer checks. If a healer OOMs and can't save a tank because they had to waste mana on a pet in a heal check fight, or if a healer simply loses a GCD healing a pet and it causes someone else to die, the healer did the wrong thing. Healers work on a priority system that goes something like this:
    1. Keep tanks alive
    2. Keep each other alive
    3. Keep DPS alive
    4. Keep tanks near full health
    5. Keep Pets alive
    6. Top everyone else off
    7. Throw some DPS up
    8. Top pets off

In the case of a Disc priest and a Fistweaver, "Throw some DPS up" moves above keep pets alive and everything else falls off the list because if your pet dies while a Disc is Atonement healing or a Weaver is Eminence healing, it means that pet died extremely fast most likely from aggroing something bad and was beyond healable.

Frankly, there are some healers that would actually be contributing more DPS to the raid if they used their mana/GCD on DPS than on healing a pet.

But all of this is besides the point. With how many smart heals and AOE heals in the game now, plus with pets taking 90%+reduced damage from AoE and almost every pet spec having a ton of passive pet self healing, the only reason your pet dies 99% of the time is because you did something wrong with your pet.
    Last edited by Abysal; 2013-01-26 at 12:47 AM.

But all of this is besides the point. With how many smart heals and AOE heals in the game now, plus with pets taking 90%+reduced damage from AoE and almost every pet spec having a ton of passive pet self healing, the only reason your pet dies 99% of the time is because you did something wrong with your pet.
    It's not ALWAYS the player's fault. If it's LFD I've seen some bad tanks...like, really bad. Threat plates really needs to be built into the game for new tanks...I'm almost always in a healing role so I've become pretty good at figuring out if dmg taken is a dps screwup (growl on, not attacking tank's target, etc) or just simply bad tanking, particularly aoe tanking.

Some healers aren't so smart and stupidly ignore pet healing when a tank dies and helping to heal that pet can save a group from a wipe; whatever. All I have to say is that I'm glad that you're not healing my groups.

In raids, unless you're asked to tank some adds (which has been a viable strat in at least 1-2 raid encounters for every single expansion), your pet shouldn't be taking that much damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Nope. They're the responsibility of the owner, and in many cases a lot of pets avoid, or are immune, to a lot of AoE damage. It is rare for pets to die randomly, unless they take aggro.

That said, I do recall in Tier 11, having to Beacon my friends imp, because it would die far to often for no reason, so it was easier for to beacon him and heal him.
    imps lost phaseshift

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

pet 90% cleave reduction is usually enough that random aoe/splash (healing rain, chain heal jumps, prayer of mending, wild growth) is enough to keep them alive. if a hunter/lock cant keep their own pet out of a high damage void zone and it dies, that's their own damn fault.