Poll: Should they be cloned?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalian View Post
    They don't share a single bone in their body with us. That right there is different.

---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 08:41 PM ----------

Not only research but we'd know that we could bring back species. If it were smart enough it could live as a human. Nothing unethical about that. If that's unethical we should stop advancing.
    What does that even mean? Neanderthal man we almost the same as us they just got to europe before us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    Yes, they are more or less considered a sub species, because of viable offspring.
    I think their current cassification is Homo Sapien Neanderthalis while ours is Homo Sapien Sapien.

We already had a neanderthal as president..

Eh nvm, I guess he was a chimpanzee.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather the world put it's entire military spending into cloning and medical science.

We could have all diseases cured within 100 years.

Maybe even solve the problem of super bugs from antibiotic abuse over the last few decades.

Yes, they are more or less considered a sub species, because of viable offspring.
    They're more of a sister/brother species I think. Like Lions and Tigers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    They're more of a sister/brother species I think. Like Lions and Tigers.
    No they aren't they are human. Tigers and Lions can't produce viable offspring.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liger

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by volkanik View Post
    Keyword Viable, ligers can't then reproduce.

There is strong evidence that Neanderthals and homosapiens interbred, them just "dying out" is a misconception.

Keyword Viable, ligers can't then reproduce.
    n September 2012, the Russian Novosibirsk Zoo announced the birth of a "liliger", which is the offspring of a liger mother and a lion father. The cub was named Kiara

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by F3ral0ne View Post
    n September 2012, the Russian Novosibirsk Zoo announced the birth of a "liliger", which is the offspring of a liger mother and a lion father. The cub was named Kiara
    interdasting.

Either way, neanderthals are considered homo sapiens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by F3ral0ne View Post
    citation needed

Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    citation needed
    under fertility of that wiki posted back there.

Horses and mules can produce viable offspring, its just very rare. I assume same goes for Lions and Tigers.

See no reason against it, also the truth is that neanderthals didnt "vanish" they got mixed with us, there is a lot of their dna in most modern people, its less "went extinct" more "got assimilated by the borg" erm, us.

Would be quite interesting, however i am sure we as a society still have many crap to deal with before using resources on novelty, then again as i said, we might learn something...
    Hope it is treated humanely if it is done though

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    Horses and mules can produce viable offspring, its just very rare. I assume same goes for Lions and Tigers.
    Mules are the of spring of horses and donkeys, they cannot produce offspring

I say yes. But only if it is treated like a real living thing and not some kind of plastic robot.

There are no recorded cases of fertile mule stallions. A few female mules have produced offspring when mated with a purebred horse or donkey.[9][10] Herodotus gives an account of such an event as an ill omen of Xerxes' conquest of Greece in 480 BC: "There happened also a portent of another kind while he was still at Sardis,—a mule brought forth young and gave birth to a mule" (Herodotus The Histories 7:57).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalian View Post

Not only research but we'd know that we could bring back species. If it were smart enough it could live as a human. Nothing unethical about that. If that's unethical we should stop advancing.

In the link there is more than enough problems this clone could face which outweigh the benefits of having this "advance" in society.

No thanks.

While there is no known instance of a male mule siring offspring, female mules have on very rare occasion given birth to viable offspring.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mule