Page 1 of 2
LastLast

how lose muscle mass?

This may sound kind of odd but i want to start slimming down but lose some muscle in the process. I been building alot of muscles in my legs and upperbody to the point it may makes me look stubby and weird looking. Is there an effective way to get rid of some muscle? right now every time i go to the gym i run at least 30 min on the tread and do higher rep low weight resistance training.

Don't focus on losing muscle mass. Focus on losing weight. Naturally, you will lose some muscle if you drop 30 pounds, but if you work out with the intention of maintaining as much muscle mass as possible while you lose weight then your appearance should take care of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by exjay View Post
    This may sound kind of odd but i want to start slimming down but lose some muscle in the process. I been building alot of muscles in my legs and upperbody to the point it may makes me look stubby and weird looking. Is there an effective way to get rid of some muscle? right now every time i go to the gym i run at least 30 min on the tread and do higher rep low weight resistance training.
    If it's the "bulky" muscle that concerns you, it would probably be a good idea to use lower weight, more reps as you said. The "stubby" look as you say could also possibly be a body fat problem?

I think you're overestimating how much of your current body mass is actually muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by Projali View Post
    I think you're overestimating how much of your current body mass is actually muscle.
    Yeah, like I said, I think it could be a body fat problem. No offense to the OP.

It depends on you how much weight lose and what type of body figure you want to get because there are much many exercise and diet plan in all over the world.Running,walk,swimming,rope jump,these are cardio so do cardio and get healthy benefit.

Go to a gym and get your body fat tested with calipers, it's usually free if you're a member.
    After that, you should start working out with lots of cardio to drop fat. Keep the weight training up.
    Like the others said, it's probably a body fat problem, not a "too much muscle" problem.
    Diet down, drop the fat, and see what you look like. Don't try to drop muscles, just drop the fat.

If you want to do this it is for life so you need to totally change your way of eating and exercising. This is not a diet rather than a healthy eating plan for life. So no more talking diet cause it means time limit.

http://bodybuilding-blog.org/
    Last edited by sandygothes; 2013-02-07 at 06:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neazy View Post
    Don't focus on losing muscle mass. Focus on losing weight. Naturally, you will lose some muscle if you drop 30 pounds, but if you work out with the intention of maintaining as much muscle mass as possible while you lose weight then your appearance should take care of itself.
    Good diet and aerobic and you will achieve your goal.

15+ Year Old Account
    muscle mass is put on by eating lots of protein, excess calories and lots of lifting, so i guess to lose that mass, just cut down on the calories, to just below maintenance (so maybe about 10-15% below BMR) cut the calories down to 80% of your weight in lbs in grams (so if you weigh 100lbs eat 80g of protein rather than 100-150g like people suggest for putting on mass) and like you said increase the reps while droping the weight a bit =)

Lol dude You know that most people want to gain mass right? -.-

If you're muscles are too bulky, join a yoga or pilates class. Change your weight lifting routine, work out different muscles or add more cardio into your work out (I seriously recommend running). Don't intentionally try to lose "mass", try re-shape instead.

Muscles will naturally atrophy over time if you don't use them, so you can cut back on whatever you used to build them and they'll slowly reduce. This happens faster with dieting or if the protein is needed to build other muscles which you don't think are too small.

So for example, if you hated having big triceps (which I could not understand) you could stop pressing and extending and spend time working shoulders or biceps or something like that.

right now every time i go to the gym i run at least 30 min on the tread and do higher rep low weight resistance training.
    It sounds like your workout is more supportive of cardio fitness rather than muscle mass. I would suggest looking at your diet, make sure you are hydrating and possibly cut down on foods that are dense in calories, carbs etc. Some of it might also be attributable to body type.

thanks for the replies guys. would a low protein diet be a more suitable diet, was also of considering trying to get a juicier and start drinking veggie/fruit juices.

thanks for the replies guys. would a low protein diet be a more suitable diet, was also of considering trying to get a juicier and start drinking veggie/fruit juices.
    You should first cut fat to about 14% or so.
    But yea, lower protein would be better for LOSING muscle. Protein is basically the building blocks of muscles.
    Juicing is a great way to cut weight, it's very nutritious, but it's thin. It's actually JUICE, which most people see it and think it's thicker because of the color. It's also very low in calories.

I'd like to see you post pictures of how you look now and then post a pic of how you want to look. I can guarantee you don't want to lose muscle mass and you're overestimating how much muscle you actually have.

Your body will generally use as much protein as it needs to support muscle/tissue repair, and the excess comes out when you pee. So just make sure you're getting enough - if you don't get enough your metabolism will start to go down.
    Juicer is fine to get vitamins, fiber, water. But go easy on the fruits, since it's a lot of extra calories you probably don't need.

Quote Originally Posted by Norjak View Post
    Your body will generally use as much protein as it needs to support muscle/tissue repair, and the excess comes out when you pee. So just make sure you're getting enough - if you don't get enough your metabolism will start to go down.
    Juicer is fine to get vitamins, fiber, water. But go easy on the fruits, since it's a lot of extra calories you probably don't need.
    Fruits are healthy sugars, when you're juicing, you're basically getting 500 calories a day. The sugars in fruits helps you stay stabilized so you don't go into starvation mode and whatnot. The only problem with juicing is the lack of protein.

If you ripped up, your FFM would be lower than you are currently expecting. you are underestimating your BF and overestimating your FFM, simply as that.

But.. if you want to rip up, eat relatively low carb and get your protein in aswell as your EFAs and you are g2g