Gaming Laptop/Whatever help.

I literally know nothing about computers besides where my on button is, where my MS office programs are for schoolwork and how to download stuff from the internet.

I'm looking for a gaming laptop or desktop setup for $1k or less, something to run WoW/Skyrim on with no graphics/processing problems. The only other thing I use my computer for is working on papers, watching movies, surfing the internet.

I found this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+1...&skuId=5176239

Reviews are good but I really don't know what to look for besides graphics card.

If someone could tell me what I should be looking for in a gaming laptop or if I should seriously be considering a desktop instead OR what to look for, where to buy, etc it would be most appreciated.

Laptop is only good when you are constantly out of home and traveling. If you are at home all the time, get a Desktop definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Laptop is only good when you are constantly out of home and traveling. If you are at home all the time, get a Desktop definitely.
    What are the benefits to a desktop besides being able to upgrade graphics card/etc down the line?

I mostly use my current laptop at home but I also study sometimes in coffee shops or whatever on the weekends.

10+ Year Old Account
    If that's the case, get a good desktop and keep your current laptop for... coffee shops or whatever.

Do you have any friends that know how to build a computer?

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    What are the benefits to a desktop besides being able to upgrade graphics card/etc down the line?

I mostly use my current laptop at home but I also study sometimes in coffee shops or whatever on the weekends.
    You get higher performance for less money with a desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    If that's the case, get a good desktop and keep your current laptop for... coffee shops or whatever.

Do you have any friends that know how to build a computer?
    I'm female so not really (yeah....>.< not to play on gender stereotypes but my female friends don't know anything about computers either).

Couple of my guy friends do, one is in Canada atm and one is back home in Alaska, both pretty far away from me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless you plan on gaming at coffee shops and the like, you're likely better off with a desktop. I love me some gaming and just spent about a grand on a new home rig... But my laptop is a junker, because it's just not worth the money getting a gaming laptop if you use it twice a year on vacations.

Unless you plan on gaming at coffee shops and the like, you're likely better off with a desktop. I love me some gaming and just spent about a grand on a new home rig... But my laptop is a junker, because it's just not worth the money getting a gaming laptop if you use it twice a year on vacations.
    I pretty much go study w/friends at Starbucks or something once or twice a week, just using word and the internet while I'm there for the most part. This laptop is 3 years old and is in pretty good shape (an Asus), my fps is has just gotten too low for gaming (around 40 fps during combat in 25 man raids, not god awful but not good either imo, that is with a few settings on low) so it is time for a replacement.

Ok so I guess it's desktop then.

Anything specific I should look for re: gaming besides video card quality?

10+ Year Old Account
    The Revolt model from iBuyPower seems pretty good. For under $1000 you can get an i5-3570, 8gb RAM, 1tb HDD, Geforce 660, Win7 and Word/Excel. Unfortunately with any pre-built system, you automatically lose about $150 to labor and shipping.

The Revolt model from iBuyPower seems pretty good. For under $1000 you can get an i5-3570, 8gb RAM, 1tb HDD, Geforce 660, Win7 and Word/Excel. Unfortunately with any pre-built system, you automatically lose about $150 to labor and shipping.
    Thanks, this was really helpful I'll look into it.