Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

USB bandwidth exceeded.

So I have 4 USB ports on the back of my tower, 1 for my mouse, 1 for my keyboard, 1 for my microphone, 1 for my webcam, okay fine I go on webcam on Skype, now my microphone is a blue yeti, since my headphones wire doesn't reach to the back of my tower, I can plug in my headphones into my microphone but when I do it exceeds my USB bandwidth, if i unplug my headphones its fine, I would really like use my cam, headphones which is plugged into my mic, I thought maybe buying a USB multiport it may help but I'm not sure if that would work, so could I get re-assurance that if this would work or not before I buy one, if it wouldnt work is there anything I can do to get it to work?

thanks

Deleted
    Are all 4 ports hanging off the same USB controller? You can check in Device Manager -> View Devices by Connection.

Are there any other ports connected to a 2nd controller that you can use? (again, you can check in the same place)

Information here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884470

"When a USB camera begins to stream video, the camera reserves as much bandwidth as possible to improve the quality of the video stream. After this bandwidth has been allocated to the USB camera for streaming purposes, the bandwidth is no longer available for any new devices that are attached.

Note This issue is caused by a design limitation of USB technology. It does not indicate a specific problem with your computer's hardware."

Your best bet would be to have the USB camera on it's own USB controller, if possible.

Deleted
    Not entirely sure what im looking for

http://tinypic.com/r/2po9q8g/6

I viewed with connections

EDIT

I had a look for a powered USB hub

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...F8&me=&seller=

seems as it uses an external power supply included with the item, would this work?
    Last edited by mmoc95bde86103; 2013-01-21 at 10:40 PM.

Deleted
    ACPI x86/x64-based PC
    .+ Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
    ....+ PCI bus
    ........+ (USB Host Controller) 1
    ............+ USB Root Hub
    ................- Devices connected to it
    ........+ (USB Host Controller) 2 (if there is one)

seems as it uses an external power supply included with the item, would this work?
    It's not a power issue in this case, it's bandwidth. There are two limiting factors, bandwidth and power and it seems in your case it's bandwidth that's limiting things.
    Last edited by mmocabe77c30e6; 2013-01-21 at 10:45 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatie12 View Post
    ACPI x86/x64-based PC
    .+ Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
    ....+ PCI bus
    ........+ (USB Host Controller) 1
    ........+ (USB Host Controller) 2 (if there is one)

It's not a power issue in this case, it's bandwidth. There are two limiting factors, bandwidth and power and it seems in your case it's bandwidth that's limiting things.
    http://tinypic.com/r/111qob7/6

Like that?

Deleted
    Like that?
    Yep - If possible you could try moving the camera to the other USB hub, which appears to be unused. It may be supplying connectors elsewhere, on the front of your case or in some other location. I know it's not ideal but it could solve your problems. Are there any other USB ports on your computer?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if the Blue Yeti supports USB 3.0 at all...

Can you link which one you bought?

Though I must say, USB 2.0 should still be more than enough... it has a bloody 480Mb/s bandwidth. O_o

Effective throughput of 35MB/s or 280Mb/s.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univers...8High_Speed.29

There is no way you are using a USB 1.0 port... Do you have any USB ports plugged in on the front of your case?

---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 10:53 PM ----------

Yep - If possible you could try moving the camera to the other USB hub, which appears to be unused. It may be supplying connectors elsewhere, on the front of your case or in some other location. I know it's not ideal but it could solve your problems. Are there any other USB ports on your computer?
    Yeah that one looks like a PCI/PCI-E card to USB adapter, probably a good idea.

Also, dang, the computer looks a little old, too.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    I don't have it plugged in at the moment, cause it cuts doesnt work, ill plug it in.

http://tinypic.com/r/211qnk/6

there all are now taken I guess

Deleted
    Though I must say, USB 2.0 should still be more than enough... it has a bloody 480Mb/s bandwidth. O_o
    It may be the case the camera is just allocating as much bandwidth as it can get it's hands on regardless of whether it uses it or not. I find it kinda beyond belief but it might be what's happening

Deleted
    the ports on the front of my case are unused and always have been, the little plastic thing in the port has come out and lost so they are unusable I think

Isn't OpenHCD USB 1.1? You want them to appear in the Enhanced (2.0) list.

Deleted
    the ports on the front of my case are unused and always have been, the little plastic thing in the port has come out and lost so they are unusable I think
    Another option is to connect the camera after the system has booted up.. The bandwidth should already be allocated to other devices before plugging it in.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If I understand correctly, you're saying the PCI to USB adapter card is not plugged in? Because it is showing up in that list with the first USB Root Hub under it, then comes the next one which is chock full of stuff. :P
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Isn't OpenHCD USB 1.1? You want them to appear in the Enhanced (2.0) list.
    I think you're right, I did some Googling.. OHCI and UHCI are 1.1. EHCI "Enhanced" is 2.0+. There is a potential caveat - some forum posts have been saying incorrect hardware detection is to blame.

OP - what is your motherboard? Do you know. You can find out using CPU-Z (www.cpuid.com)

Deleted
    Another option is to connect the camera after the system has booted up.. The bandwidth should already be allocated to other devices before plugging it in.
    Tried and when i tried to go into skype and turn on my cam the cam froze and the usb bandwidth thing came up

And @DeltrustDisc

I don't understand, I meant the ports used to work, but the actuall port on the front of my computer is USB and there's a small plastic bit in the port it has fallen out and has been lost so I haveen't been able to plug other things into it.

Either, your Mobo has USB 2.0 and 1.1 ports on it and just need to plug video in the proper 2.0 port, or you may need to look at finding the 2.0 drivers for your Mobo because it seems to be operating in 1.1 mode.

Deleted
    Tried and when i tried to go into skype and turn on my cam the cam froze and the usb bandwidth thing came up
    In that case it's evident that I don't understand how USB bandwidth allocation works

See my post above, can you check what your mobo is, and then with the power of Google we can clear up the 1.1 or 2.0 issue

Deleted
    How do I know which one is 2.0?

As Zatie12 said, we need your mobo model.

Deleted
    How do I know which one is 2.0?
    Download and run CPU-Z, from www.cpuid.com
    Go to the "Motherboard" tab, take a screenie and post here