Deleted

old watch(Yearling)

hey guys, im gonna try to keep this short, a few months ago my great great father died, he left his property to my mom, because the house was old and needed many repairs we decided to sell it, before we did we moved all the old stuff from home etc, i found a small box that holded some old photos of him in the army, he was a General-lieutenant in the army of Michael of Romania(roumanian king), anyway the watch is a Yearling 17 rubis antichoc cant find a similar model on internet, some of my friends are saying this could be worth a few $, but since i have no clue about watches i decided to ask around maybe someone can give me some more info. cheers

best would maybe go to those Pawn shop or wathever called... if you want it sold

15+ Year Old Account
    Wouldn't he get a better price at an antiques dealer than at a pawn shop?

As for information about the watch itself, you could maybe try visiting a shop that sells watches, they might be able to give you more information about the watch and what it's value might be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by d3v View Post
    Wouldn't he get a better price at an antiques dealer than at a pawn shop?

As for information about the watch itself, you could maybe try visiting a shop that sells watches, they might be able to give you more information about the watch and what it's value might be.
    Echoing what d3v said: go to an antique dealer or something similar. I don't think a pawn shop will give you a good value. Actually, there's a chance that some jewelers might be able to do an appraisal too.

Edit: I don't know how helpful this will be, especially since they haven't updated since 2011, but I did find this site dedicated to watches used by the Romanian military http://www.ceasuripentruromania.ro/index.php
    Last edited by Talokami; 2013-01-21 at 11:44 PM.
    That fabric softener teddy bear...oooh I'm 'a hunt that little bitch down.

I would go to a pawn shop to find out if they know about the watch see what they offer you but don't sell it to them. They always low ball to make a profit. If its valuable the pawn show would want it

Go to a jewelry store, tell them you need an appraisel for insurance reasons. It may cost you a couple $ for that, but it'll give you an idea what it's worth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alexvladv View Post
    anyway the watch is a Yearling 17 rubis antichoc cant find a similar model on internet, some of my friends are saying this could be worth a few $, but since i have no clue about watches i decided to ask around maybe someone can give me some more info. cheers
    You could try asking on a forum dedicated to watches, like Watchuseek. They have a Vintage Watches section where you might post a couple pictures and ask for general help/info. That may help you find out if it's worth getting an appraisal from a jeweler or whatnot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by psychedelica View Post
    best would maybe go to those Pawn shop or wathever called... if you want it sold
    Bad idea. Pawn shops severely undervalue items in order to make a profit. Only a true antique shop can give an appropriate appraisal.

How about keep the watch? It's his watch, if he wanted to sell it I'm sure he would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    I think I would save michal jordan's life. That guy was just such a great singer
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I don't pay for food for anyone I'm not sleeping with and you shouldn't either.

Quote Originally Posted by alexvladv View Post
    hey guys, im gonna try to keep this short, a few months ago my great great father died, he left his property to my mom, because the house was old and needed many repairs we decided to sell it, before we did we moved all the old stuff from home etc, i found a small box that holded some old photos of him in the army, he was a General-lieutenant in the army of Michael of Romania(roumanian king), anyway the watch is a Yearling 17 rubis antichoc cant find a similar model on internet, some of my friends are saying this could be worth a few $, but since i have no clue about watches i decided to ask around maybe someone can give me some more info. cheers
    I believe 17 rubis antichoc would roughly translate to "17 jewel movement" so you should try googling that.

Chances are if it's an antique timepiece it doesn't have a specific model name, because it was custom made based on the budget and desires of the original buyer.

So an antique dealer, specifically one who specializes in clocks would be your best bet. Just don't sell it to whoever does the appraisal and make sure they know they won't be getting it, that way they'll be more forthcoming on the value.

15+ Year Old Account
    Can you actually justify selling it? I would probably wear or display it.