Thread: Mages in 5.2?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Mages in 5.2?

Hello I was thinking of making a new class, caster class since I already have a tank, healer RDPS, MDPS, I want a caster class. I was thinking mage cause the utility and nice perks like; time warp, buffs,mage food and drinks, portals, self heals and awesome transmog gear. Wanted to level a lock cause of the green fire quest and the cute felsteed but its hard to keep up two dots with my hunter so a lock would be devastating. How are they 5.2 and beyond meaning 5.2.2 etc? I really want to get into a raiding guild my paladin is in one and soon my hunter would as well. I know there are alot of dps wanting to be in raiding guilds and to stand out really you need strong dps and brains. Are mages good dps not like good as in OP good like I can mess up and still be maybe top 5 maybe 10 ? I know on my hunter I can completely screw up and still manage to be in the top and since pets provide great buffs, ill always be wanted. Im not a fotm I just want to raid as dps sometimes. I always want to be in damand as dps, just like I love being in demand as a healer and tank. Thoughts?

10+ Year Old Account
    I would not recommend a mage, personally. Their DPS is about to take a dip, and the playstyle is far from fun. You'd have better luck training yourself to juggle DoTs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    yep mages seams will be real bad in 5.2 all the tests i made in the ptr and after seeying lots of streams i recomend a warlock, they will be totaly op in multitarget and top dps in single.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my opinion mages are awesome, don't listen to the cry babies.

Try one for yourself on the PTR.
    Last edited by Orangetai420; 2013-01-23 at 05:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    In my opinion mages are awesome, don't listen to the cry babies.

Try one for yourself on the PTR.
    Cry babies? Lol.

I'm quite curious to know what you've done on your Mage during MoP for you to call us "cry babies".

OT: Warlock. Choose that. You'll be much happier and MUCH better off, both DPS wise and fun wise. Also, the "perks" are only self-stuff. We have no raid utility, are garbage for mobility (both movement AND mobile DPS are horribly low, while Warlock is quite high for both), and our soloing capabilities are quite bad. Warlocks do everything we do, but just a hundred times better.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Deleted
    Mages are the opposite of fun atm IMO. That and they're going to be nerfed pretty hard in 5.2. Get a warlock. Very high sustained dps, high burst dps if specced for it, and a lot more cool fun spells.

Deleted
    I will recommended to play mage because warlock is too much OP and will be nerf to the ground in the first Hotfix in 5.2.
    And this class is less social than us, mage, they give Heal on stone but mage can give Cake and Drinks.

Who don't love free drinks ???

Deleted
    Everybody loves free drinks and especially free candy : ) I don´t like my mage at the moment as I liked him during cata, but still, I can´t imagine to play another class. I couldn´t play the game without Blink for example : )

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    Cry babies? Lol.

I'm quite curious to know what you've done on your Mage during MoP for you to call us "cry babies".

OT: Warlock. Choose that. You'll be much happier and MUCH better off, both DPS wise and fun wise. Also, the "perks" are only self-stuff. We have no raid utility, are garbage for mobility (both movement AND mobile DPS are horribly low, while Warlock is quite high for both), and our soloing capabilities are quite bad. Warlocks do everything we do, but just a hundred times better.
    "My mage isn't horrifically OP with no effort required any more. QQ"
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathyiel View Post
    I will recommended to play mage because warlock is too much OP and will be nerf to the ground in the first Hotfix in 5.2.
    And this class is less social than us, mage, they give Heal on stone but mage can give Cake and Drinks.

Who don't love free drinks ???
    Nobody loves free cake and drinks, sorry to burst your bubble.

It's not fun to make and it's hardly used anymore, at least in my opinion. It's buff food all the way, I don't think I use more than 5, if that, pieces of mage-food per raid, we just use buff food all the time otherwise, and mana reg is high enough that you often don't need it to reg between fights either.
    So that's one of the unique mage things being worthless. Same for portals. With 15min CD hearthstones people just hearth pretty much always instead of waiting for the portal. Most times I cast the portal at the end of a raid and in the end I'm the only one to use it...

I'm also kinda torn about mages right now. Right now Arcane is the only really viable PvE spec unless you have insanely high gear and that focused on crit. I don't love Arcane, I only somewhat enjoy playing it now with a heavy-haste build and invo-weaving, but that'll also probably be nerfed in 5.2, so there goes Arcane into the trash along with Fire. And even though this haste-build is ok to play, it's just fucking frustrating having to stand still all the time for full-evos and 1-2 tick evos whereas the warlocks can just run around willy-nilly not giving a damn.

I've never been closer to changing my class but I just don't know where to go, my warlock is ilvl 484 and I'm just not delivering the oomph! I feel is possible, maybe warlock just isn't the class for me.
    That's the general problem, I would like to switch away from the Mage, for the first time in my ~7 years of playing WoW. But I don't know which class to switch to... Now if Monk had a ranged dps spec... oh yeah.. guess I'm stuck with the Mage for now until I found a suitable alternative class, equipped that character etc.
    Last edited by mmoca812163483; 2013-01-23 at 11:06 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by one_entity View Post
    Nobody loves free cake and drinks, sorry to burst your bubble.
    Arg, not fun. Your too serious.
    But I'm impressed, you use your summoned found.

This discussion can already be found around 10 forums below.
    The OP want to know if Mage is good or not in raid. As all classe is good in raid, it's more personal preference than anything.
    The fact that we bring much to nothing useful is what make the mage shine in raid. All about myself. If I want to help other, I would have play heal.

The issue with rolling a mage is that your performance and enjoyment at 90 revolves heavily around spells you don't learn until 90
    I would certainly reccomend rolling a Mage! We provide excellent damage and our raid spots have never been in question.

Some people take disproportionate issue with the level 90 talents though and you may be one of those people.
    Fortunately right now we have a PTR, so the usual issue of "I can't test my class at 90 without levelling it to 90" does not exist. Make a test copy mage, figure out how much you enjoy Invocation and Rune of Power and then you will know the answer.

I would not recommend a mage. Very boring to play. Not that much fun anymore.
    Humans are the only species on the planet smart enough to be this stupid.

Deleted
    A class (pretty much all specs) gets nerfed a bit and everyone starts crying and recommending other classes.... -_-

Try a mage. They're awesome.

Deleted
    With danger of derailing the thread (title seemed appropriate): have anyone tried Arcane with the Scorch nerf on PTR, and if so, how does it work? Do you now go rogue style building up 6 charges (combo points) for an arcane barrage (finisher) then rinse and repeat?

10+ Year Old Account
    Go roll a warlock, they seemed to ave avoided the nerf bat in 5.1 and I dont think they will be nerfed with 5.2 either. Blizzard has focussed all its attention/development time on locks and basicly said 'fuck off' to the lame class that is the mage... :/

Nimryas - EU-Kazzak ~ My youtube channel

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachtobi View Post
    With danger of derailing the thread (title seemed appropriate): have anyone tried Arcane with the Scorch nerf on PTR, and if so, how does it work? Do you now go rogue style building up 6 charges (combo points) for an arcane barrage (finisher) then rinse and repeat?
    Still testing, but burning till ~60% and evocate back to 100% (1 GCD) looks promising (Invocation weaving).

Deleted
    And don't forget that we still gains a lot of PO by launching people in Dalaran Crater !!!

Quote Originally Posted by nimryas View Post
    Go roll a warlock, they seemed to ave avoided the nerf bat in 5.1 and I dont think they will be nerfed with 5.2 either. Blizzard has focussed all its attention/development time on locks and basicly said 'fuck off' to the lame class that is the mage... :/
    If you read the Warlock subforum they'd disagree with you
    It's the same everywhere, everyone thinks they're the least loved class

Opps wrote this in wrong thread.
    Last edited by dodonpachi; 2013-01-23 at 01:50 PM.