Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

Problems with computer post upgrade

So I recently bought a Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB hybrid drive and have been having a whole crapload of problems since I got it. Prior to purchase, I was running my Steam games off a SATA 2 Western Digital 2 TB 7200 RPM drive. That said, now both drives are giving me the same problems and it seems like overall my computer performance has dropped a fair bit. A few weeks ago I bought a Gigabyte 7850 for Crossfire and everything was all fine and dandy until I got my new hard drive. Now I am experiencing lag in most of my Steam games regardless of settings, so I don't think it's a graphics rendering problem, as I have swapped around both my GPU's in thinking that one of them was defective. Now, that doesn't seem to be the case. I am starting to feel like the SATA controller could be pooched on my MSI G43 Z77 motherboard and that it's only a matter of time before my hard drives stop working. The reason I believe this is because my DVD burner is no longer working now that it's on a different SATA2 port. My original configuration was SSD and WD mechanical drive on the SATA 3 ports then my two optical drives on the first two SATA2 ports. I put the Seagate drive into the second SATA3 port, moved my mechanical drive down to the 1st SATA2 slot, and so on and so forth with my two optical drives, and my DVD drive is in port 3 of the SATA2 plugs and no longer displaying on my computer.

I am working on BIOS and motherboard updates, dunno if it will fix it but if anyone has any suggestions as to what exactly might be going on, the help is appreciated. I am about ready to RMA my motherboard if it's what is causing the issues, as I'd rather not burn the gas to replace a hard drive that might not be broken when it could be my SATA controller acting stupid.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would get in contact with MSI Customer support, I've not heard the best things about their lower-end LGA 1155 motherboards, to be fair.

Have you at all flashed your BIOS to anything newer since you got the motherboard? Might help, as it did for me with other issues, however I have an Asus, but still.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    You said you got the Hybrid recently. What is your setup? Is the OS on the HDD or the Hybrid? Are you installing stuff on the Hybrid but not the OS?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I would get in contact with MSI Customer support, I've not heard the best things about their lower-end LGA 1155 motherboards, to be fair.

Have you at all flashed your BIOS to anything newer since you got the motherboard? Might help, as it did for me with other issues, however I have an Asus, but still.
    I did a BIOS update about 2 months ago, everything was fine up until Saturday. I am going to send MSI an email and see what they have to say.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I did a BIOS update about 2 months ago, everything was fine up until Saturday. I am going to send MSI an email and see what they have to say.
    Possibly consider calling, as well. More immediate help and you deserve something more immediate right now.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well they are only open 9-6 EST so I will have to call them tomorrow. Vocal tech support is always more effective communicating problems. I have never had a problem with my board either and I got it when Ivy Bridge came out, even though I am running a Sandy Bridge processor.

---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 10:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    You said you got the Hybrid recently. What is your setup? Is the OS on the HDD or the Hybrid? Are you installing stuff on the Hybrid but not the OS?
    OS is on my SSD, my Steam data has always been on my mechanical 2TB drive. I put the Seagate drive in my second SATA3 port and plugged my mechanical drive into the first SATA2 port. My board only has 2x SATA 3 and 6x SATA2, so my mechanical hard drive and two optical drives are all connected via SATA2. Things were working fine with my mechanical drive plugged into the SATA3 port before though, I only started experiencing issues after I swapped around my SATA connections.