Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    Quote Originally Posted by Requital View Post
    Is there a reason you are going with 16 gig of slow memory? I mean your RAM is going to bottle neck long before the GPU or CPU will. I would definitely get much better ram considering your Board will support DDR3-1066/1333/1600/1866/2133/2200/2400 I would definitely go with 2133 or higher.
    There is no real benefit on an intel rig to run faster memory. (there is, but is is VERY small, and not readily noticeable at all in real world/day to day operation)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Requital View Post
    Is there a reason you are going with 16 gig of slow memory? I mean your RAM is going to bottle neck long before the GPU or CPU will. I would definitely get much better ram considering your Board will support DDR3-1066/1333/1600/1866/2133/2200/2400 I would definitely go with 2133 or higher.
    That is because you don't understand CPU/RAM much.

The current 3rd gen CPU's utilize 1333/1600. 1600 is considered normal/max. The only reason you'd go higher is for overclocking the ram, and even there would be little difference. 1600 is not slow. Going with 2133 is just a waste of money, really. The performance difference for paying more would be like.... 1%. Maybe.

Even if you bought 2133 ram, it would still just run at 1600, unless you manually overclocked it (which it has been tested stable at those levels)

One more thing I would like to add is with all this new hardware my monitor will be holding me back and might have a lot of screen tearing playing at high fps?
    http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/MO...232HLsp2.shtml
    Old Computer

New Computer

10+ Year Old Account
    Screen tearing is usually an issue with SLI/Crossfire, or some huge bottleneck

Deleted
    Well its not just limited to SLI/Xfire. I wouldn't worry too much about screen tearing, it will certainly happen and depending on the games it can happen alot, such as BF3 coupled with high powered cards.

You can remedy screen tearing by turning on the 'V-sync' option in your ingame menu and/or enabling triple buffering in your GPU's control panel.

Your monitor does play a role, but most 60Hz monitors will suffer the same issue if you're running a high end GPU and a game with uncapped FPS.
    Last edited by mmoc7f933b7749; 2013-01-22 at 06:40 PM.

So with my current setup and running wow on max settings i might run into much higher then 60 FPS thus cause the screen tearing? I'm thinking this setup should also be able to run skyrim at max settings with 2k textures mod and run higher then 60 FPS?

Also one more thing I wanted to ask which might be a dumb and obvious question but not too sure. When you first get your computer all built and ready to run I know you want to install the OS first but is there anything else else special you do after that? talking about using a program to monitor temperatures for awhile to make sure everything is running fine and not sure if there anything else worth doing to make sure everything is in order.
    Old Computer

New Computer

Deleted
    Funnily enough I've been playing around with the 4k texture mod with my aging AMD 6870 1GB, with no AA on. It was quite a painful experience.

With the 680 not only do you have an immensely powerful GPU but the 2GB VRAM should help load and run those high res textures.

I've seen some incredible videos run with 4k textures, the game looks stunning to say the least. I envy you.

Last edited by mmoc7f933b7749; 2013-01-22 at 07:19 PM.

Btw I am not buying these parts right now and might not be for awhile until I order them but I did noticed something about the SSD recommended for this build. Not sure if Newegg feedback is actually reliable but it did say the SSD drive didn't come with SATA cables to connect it, no bracket to mount it and has failure problems? Also I'm guessing with this build I will be able to overclock the CPU and by how much would actually be a good benchmark?
    Last edited by IXBillyXI; 2013-01-23 at 04:40 AM.
    Old Computer

New Computer

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    SATA cables will come with your MB. If I am not mistaken, the 500R does not require mounting brackets for SSDs.

All SSD drives have some rate of failure, and as we all know, the people who are most vocal are the ones who are upset about their piece of kit failing. The Samsung 830 is a great drive.

As far as overclocking, you could hit as low as 4.2 all the way to 4.7~ with the D14. It provides quite adequate cooling for the ivy bridge chips. The problem with giving you a baseline overclock is that we will not be sure what your particular chip can/cant do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

i bought the samsung 830 about 2 months ago. and i bought the upgrade kit version. that inc a sata cable and a bracket.
    and i had some problems getting it to work. but that was more of a motherboard/bios problem. had noting to do with the ssd.
    never had any problems once the bios was up to date.

the upgrade kit is like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147135. but when i bought it there was no price diffrent(also bought it at a diffrent store)
    Last edited by loki504; 2013-01-23 at 08:38 AM.

I have been doing some research on my wireless card since it is old as well and discovered it has some bad compatibility with Win 7 64. I have read reviews on amazon about my wireless card: http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/s...apters/WMP300N and discovered read that if you use this card it could cause blue screens and computer lockup on Win7 64 but does fine on my Vista 32bit. Not too sure if what they say is true but just incase what kind of wireless card could I get? WoW, youtube vidoes, browsing and downloads is really all I need it for and nothing extensive other then good connection for gaming. I also am too far away to go wired so it has to be wireless and I am connected to a At&t U-verse 2WIRE modem. This is my connection speed if it's needed to choose a good one just incase.
    Old Computer

New Computer

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd probably refer you to this thread regarding wireless cards.
    read that if you use this card it could cause blue screens and computer lockup on Win7 64 but does fine on my Vista 32bit
    Was it just one or two people saying this, or a lot? It seems unlikely that a piece of hardware would be incompatible with "Win7 64bit" ... Not only that, but you simply can't and shouldn't use Vista, or 32bit anymore, period.

Moreover, if it works with Vista, it ought to work with 7, simply because they're surprisingly similar in design.

with a $2k budget, I'd definitely look to a 256gb ssd, really without even a doubt. For me, it's a no-brainer. 128gb is very limiting because of the size of games these days, esp mmo's.

On the wireless card front. I'd look at 2 options: 1) go the best possible because of antenna reception issues, etc... or 2) powerline adapters.
    I just installed a powerline adapter, extremely easy to set up, just plug it in really. And it's pretty much like having a land line hooked up. And yeah, I had my doubts about them at first, in fact bought a cheap one at the local bestbuy so that it would be an easy return if it didn't work. But it's performed spectacularly, easily outperforming wireless from the same location.