Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Bad fps on new pc, need help

Hi, i bought a new pc last week, i been testing wow and d3, and... the results are not what i expected, in wow the fps drops from 120 to 30-40 on sw/org and in d3 i have mini drops from 1xx to 10! wth!, here is my build:

i7 3770k, 3.5GHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    8gb Ram 1600 Mhz
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 4
    HDD SATA3 1tb

Do you guys thinks those drops are normal ? I don't know, i'm really upset, i just make an account to ask here : /.
    The drivers are up to date, i think, at least the gpu ones.

PS: Sorry for any grammatical errors, english is not my first language.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gouk View Post
    Hi, i bought a new pc last week, i been testing wow and d3, and... the results are not what i expected, in wow the fps drops from 120 to 30-40 on sw/org and in d3 i have mini drops from 1xx to 10! wth!, here is my build:

i7 3770k, 3.5GHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    8gb Ram 1600 Mhz
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 4
    HDD SATA3 1tb

Do you guys thinks those drops are normal ? I don't know, i'm really upset, i just make an account to ask here : /.
    The drivers are up to date, i think, at least the gpu ones.

PS: Sorry for any grammatical errors, english is not my first language.
    Is Your Vertical sync turned on?

Is Wow fully installed?

Can you link us the details on your HDD?

Are you watching Videos when the fps drops?

WoW's drops are totally normal, you can't expect any more with maxed settings in a populated city. You'll have worse drops than that during 25m raiding.

D3's drops (also normal) are due to poor HDD optimization. There's unfortunately no way to get around said issue without getting an SSD.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post
    Is Your Vertical sync turned on?

Is Wow fully installed?

Can you link us the details on your HDD?

Are you watching Videos when the fps drops?
    No.

Yes.

Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB.

No.

Do you guys think the hdd can make a huge impact on fps?

10+ Year Old Account
    No.

Yes.

Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB.

No.

Do you guys think the hdd can make a huge impact on fps?
    Well it can, update your video card drivers do you know how?

AFAIK having 120 fps isn't necessary because your monitor can't display every frame so having vertical sync on limits your client to only generate the same amount of frames your monitor can show
    "How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us." - Thrall

Deleted
    Yes, my gpu drivers are updated, anyway the 120 are perfect, the problem is the 20-40 drops, also tried guild wars 2, 40-60 fps on lion's arch and 70-90 outside, not bad but not perfect, i think something is wrong, maybe i should oc the cpu?

10+ Year Old Account
    OC will only stress the CPU. No need to do that to a i7 for gaming. How about your chipset drives an bios? Mine were out of date an after I updated them I saw considerable increase in performance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotie View Post
    No need to do that to a i7 for gaming.
    i7 is not different than i5 for gaming. OC'ing might help (odd that you have an i7 in the first place but whatever) but it sounds like there might be something else going on.

Deleted
    How can i know what's wrong...sigh, im such a noob, my power supply has 700w, that can be a problem ? btw, what's the problem with the i7?
    Last edited by mmocbfc984ab98; 2013-01-22 at 06:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What do you mean by "my power supply has 700w, can that be a problem"? I don't understand the question.

And there's nothing wrong with the i7, I was simply commenting that it's no stronger or weaker than an i5 for gaming (though, probably a waste of money). Not only that, but its perfectly fine to overclock. Theres no worry about 'stressing' it with proper cooling. It's not fragile.

Deleted
    The question about the power supply, is.... i need one with more watts? or 700 is fine

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    WoW's drops are totally normal, you can't expect any more with maxed settings in a populated city. You'll have worse drops than that during 25m raiding.

D3's drops (also normal) are due to poor HDD optimization. There's unfortunately no way to get around said issue without getting an SSD.
    I posted a D3 fix on the forums when it came out that fixed many people's stuttering problems.

Turn off Windows Defender or any other anti virus / real time protection.

When D3 gets a file accessed, the real time protection is double accessing it and causing the frame rate to stutter.

Shame more people don't know about this, the game would become more enjoyable for many people as it did me when I discovered this.

Deleted
    Weird, I don't have drops in any zone in WoW except the MoP starting area, where I would get around 40-60 fps depending on where I pan the camera.
    Your power supply shouldn't be any problem.

My setup, it's a bit worse than yours:

GTX580
    i5-2500k 4.3ghz
    1000w psu
    8gb 1600 Mhz

Maybe try lower your AA to x4 samples, it's barely any different from x4 to x8 with 1920x1080 resolution, btw is that the resolution you are playing with?
    Try lower shadows to high, not much different there either compared to Ultra.

10+ Year Old Account
    700w is well more than enough (and why the heck does Givemount have 1000w?)

However I do agree, turn AA down to 4x and shadows and SSAO down as well. Those spikes are odd, though.

Also, would you consider getting and SSD?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    700w is well more than enough (and why the heck does Givemount have 1000w?)
    I was supposed to run GTX580 sli + other stuff. But 1 GTX580 was by far enough for what I was doing since I built this PC.

Also, if you overclock the i7 you will get fps increaes. The processor is always the bottleneck in wow if you have a decent gpu.

People are stupid on these forums when it comes to processors because everyone thinks i5's are better for gaming because that is what is recommended.

The i7 is a superior chip and will 1-2 fps increase over the i5. The reason people go with i5's is obviously because paying that much more money for such a miniscule improvement is not cash efficient.

When you start streaming or editing videos the i7 trounces all over the i5.

Dont listen to anyone who tries to say otherwise, they dont know wtf they are talking about.

Deleted
    One spontaneous thing I just thought about, maybe you are overheating somehow? Have you checked the temps inside the PC (processor, cores, GPU) if they look normal? You might have a bad airflow or maybe the thermal paste is put on sloppily.

Deleted
    Well, first thank you all for the answers, im gonna try a few things.
    Probably i'm gonna buy an ssd,but i'm broke right now . The temperatures seems normal, i only get to 50ºC cpu and 65ºC gpu at battlefield3 on ultra.

Deleted
    Well, first thank you all for the answers, im gonna try a few things.
    Probably i'm gonna buy an ssd,but i'm broke right now . The temperatures seems normal, i only get to 50ºC cpu and 65ºC gpu at battlefield3 on ultra.
    Seems good, but an SSD isn't really needed for WoW. I don't even think it would give you better fps, just faster loading time.