Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by howdydiddlydoo View Post
    The i7 is a superior chip and will 1-2 fps increase over the i5.
    That's not really worth $100
    When you start streaming or editing videos the i7 trounces all over the i5.
    Well, yeah certainly. But most people aren't doing that, and if they are, they say so. An i7 for purely gaming is a waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    That's not really worth $100

Well, yeah certainly. But most people aren't doing that, and if they are, they say so. An i7 for purely gaming is a waste of money.
    Truly, when you are buying a new computer, the processor ain't really the part you want to cheap out on. Any gamer would want a computer that can do several things at once, and do it without lagging severely and giveyou trouble. Something tells me gamers don't sit at their computers with only one game on and leave the computer once they are done with that game.
    Besides, for a big one-time expense for a computer, those extra 100$ should barely be noticed in comparison to the rest of the rig.

Needed: Sure not. An i5 works fine. Recommended: Anytime, unless you'll have to live on instant-ramen for weeks because of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urti View Post
    Seriously this. I'm a high-speed, low-drag, supah-healah. Doling out the feel-goods LIKE A BAWS, keeping everyone shiny, happy and cool. Staying on top of my game, even in a combat situati....THERE'S THAT DAMN GROUNDHOG AGAIN!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Necronium View Post
    Any gamer would want a computer that can do several things at once, and do it without lagging severely and giveyou trouble. Something tells me gamers don't sit at their computers with only one game on and leave the computer once they are done with that game..
    You make it sound like an i5 can only handle playing a game and nothing else. I run two minecraft servers, no less than 10 tabs open, 1080p youtube stuff, while having sometimes two games (Like WoW and Deadspace 2 or Borderlands 2) at the same time... And an i5 runs flawlessly. So no, that extra $100 would have been wasted on pretty much anyone who isn't streaming or recording.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    You make it sound like an i5 can only handle playing a game and nothing else. I run two minecraft servers, no less than 10 tabs open, 1080p youtube stuff, while having sometimes two games (Like WoW and Deadspace 2 or Borderlands 2) at the same time... And an i5 runs flawlessly. So no, that extra $100 would have been wasted on pretty much anyone who isn't streaming or recording.
    I can do all of that on my i7, stream games at the same time using multi threaded streamers, then go and edit and encode / decode those movies alot faster than you, then i can .zip it up or .unzip it up alot quicker than you too all while my game is running smoother than yours.

All that for a measly extra $100.

Just saying ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a i5 and my brother has the i7...so happy I didn't spend the extra cash just so I can say I did.

Quote Originally Posted by howdydiddlydoo View Post
    I can do all of that on my i7, stream games at the same time using multi threaded streamers, then go and edit and encode / decode those movies alot faster than you, then i can .zip it up or .unzip it up alot quicker than you too all while my game is running smoother than yours.

All that for a measly extra $100.

Just saying ^^
    You're under the impression that hyperthreading "trounces" all over an i5 in heavily threaded tasks. It doesn't. It's a minimal improvement.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/551?vs=701
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    You're under the impression that hyperthreading "trounces" all over an i5 in heavily threaded tasks. It doesn't. It's a minimal improvement.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/551?vs=701
    I don't think he understands what he's talking about and just wants to justify his purchase.

The i7 is superior for many tasks, that's true. However, the i5 is equal to an i7 in 95% of all tasks out there. If you are a professional user and do a bit of rendering etc. then of course, you aren't looking for an i5. If you are a normal user that games and run a few light programs in addition to games, you aren't looking for an i7. If budget is of no concern I cannot see a reason not to get an i7 cause it will give you 1-2 fps extra etc. and it will give you a better performance should you want to render or compress/encode etc. If on a budget, there is no way you can justify an i7 over say, a better gpu/HDD/SSD/whatever.